News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: For those who are in school  (Read 3798 times)

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
  • Since: 11/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: For those who are in school
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »
Wow.  I have so much to say about all this, but I'm gonna bow out of this thing because I don't want to be the guy responsible for this thing getting out of hand.  Before I become a spectator in this thread, I do want to make one last point.  Stella, you keep speaking of assistance for family, etc.  You say this as if citizens receiving government assistance is the norm.  Why?  If taxes were lower... if businesses and citizens paid fewer taxes, this assistance wouldn't even be required because each halfway intelligent working person would have money for what they needed.   

I personally like being responsible for myself.  To each their own, but at the end of the day, whether I'm rich or poor, I want it to be because of me, and not because some government official decides what I must do with my money.

Here in the USA, we're all (or at least we're supposed to be) free.  Freedom means being free to do as we please and to succeed, but it also means that we're free to fail miserably.  The stakes are high.  That's the way it should be. 

Your European system is fine I guess.  Hey, it works for you and your family.  But I disagree with it, and I definitely don't want it to come here.  I am the creator of my own financial destiny, and thats the way I want it to stay. 

I suppose I'll give my input on the topic at hand... College.  My feeling is this: College is training.  I think that you should only go to college if it's helpful with what you want to do with your life.  For example, if you're interested in architecture, by all means, go to College.  Or Law.  Or medicine.  Even Education.  But if you don't know what you want to do, wait til you do know. 

See, to me, a college degree is to a Lawyer what a TIG Certification is to a Welder.  It's not necessary for the knowledge (anyone can study/practice on their own), but its necessary to prove to your clients or employers that you know what you're doing. 

I see no purpose for getting a general studies degree.  That's the scam that I see.  We've become ingrained with the ideal that a college degree will make or break us, regardless if the degree is in the field that we end up working in or not.  Not to mention the fact that some of the wealthiest, most successful people in the world have little or no college experience.  Bottom line: you are the deciding factor to your own success, whether you have a degree or not.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:06:16 PM by Maddog[1up] »

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

No nation ever taxed itself into prosperity.
-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Chuck[1up]

• *[1up] Support Member
  • You will never walk alone
  • Since: 25/04/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 08:21:06 PM »
I see it in a different way, you are paying your taxes, which works fine with me, cos in return I do get a lot of other facilities.   

Offline Stella

• Since: 05/03/2010
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »
maddog it seems to me only that you do not have great ambitions in life or great expectations... Education is the cornerstone of a society...and it seems that more than 70% of the U.S. population is agree with me. your own people would like to have a decent education at low cost. if the government provides security does not mean that we are serfs, or we dont have freedom. nd whats freedom means 2 u...what u can do there that we can not..do we have less money bcz we pay taxes..do we do less things bcz we have to pay taxes? we can have a good education if we want...if someone wants us to do the carpenter, welder, the hairdresser etc.. the government provides free courses in which participants in addition to being followed step by step are also paid by the government..and whether to participate in these courses should they take the bus or public transportation, the government will reimburse the costs incurred.
so tell me...what u can do wid ur so called freedom that we can not do?

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
Stella, I have low cost education available.  I could go for free because I'm 1/16th Native American, but I don't want to accept Government assistance.  I could also pay for it myself with zero assistance.  I could go to a local highly regarded school for Architecture for less than $10,000USD/year.  I could also go to Pepperdine University for Law on scholarship for almost nothing... and Pepperdine was around $40,000USD/year last I checked.  I could also get a BA for less than $4000USD/year, but I already explained that I'm against General Studies degrees. 

Why don't I get a degree?  I CHOOSE not to.  I know how to make as much or more money than most college graduates that are my age.  I own everything I have.  I have no debt at all.  I accept zero Government assistance.  And I live quite well.  I'm not a millionaire, mind you, but I do well for myself and for my wife.

I have ambition.  My ambition is to be a successful entrepreneur, and so far, I'm right on track.  Don't put me or anyone else who chooses not to go to school in a box.  Just because I choose a different path than you doesn't make me someone who is destined to fail. 

Reread everything I've said here.  I choose to live for myself and make my own choices in everything.  This includes my money, my business, etc.  What can I do with my freedom?  Control every aspect of my financial life.  I can choose to invest in what I want to.  I can choose to pay cash at the Doctor's office instead of buying insurance.  I can choose NOT to go to school, and instead use that money for something else.  That's the way I like it, and I'll fight kicking and screaming if someone tries to change it.  Pretty ambitious, right?  ;)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Stella

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 10:06:06 PM »
why you keep saying you do not want government h3elp...you walk the streets, in schools where you go, and whatever infrastructure is made ​​by the government which uses money paid in taxes. then, directly or indirectly the government helps u. i am just saying we can do whatever u do...nd plus is govenment is giving us security. also we r selfe made people. govement help us bcz we pay for it...so we give 2 have something bk...universal rule

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »
You know what I'm saying Stella.  Taxes are necessary because infrastructure, defense, public service (police and fire), the courts, and k-12 education are all necessary expenditures.  What's not necessary is government interference in my healthcare, retirement, education, etc. 

My dad is a former military person, as are several of my cousins, and as were two of my grandfathers (I have four... long story).  My dad is currently a government employee (Professional Firefighter).  He was also involved in local government.  I personally know several of the local politicians in both the city and county levels.  I also know several police officers and firefighters.  I have been around the block a time or two.  I know firsthand about the necessities of the average citizen, and what it takes to provide those... water, sewer, roads, storm drains, fire and police protection are all necessary on a local level.  I know that Defense, national infrastructure, courts, etc are necessary on the national level.  So believe me when I say that at least where I live, I know what I'm talking about.  I have also studied US and World history, and my findings lead me to the conclusion that small Federal government is key.  My political and economic views are not just opinions to me.  They're principles that I live by, and I will not change them. 

Believe what you want to.  Live where you want to live.  Love or hate your government.  But don't take me to be some ignorant guys who's spouting off.  I know what I'm talking about.  So yes, tax me for what is necessary.  But please, for the love of God, don't tax me so that you can force me and/or my neighbor to accept a service that we can provide for ourself.

-Ronald Reagan

-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Stella

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 10:47:48 PM »
well just 2 let u know ur own people r unhappy about ur situation...have a general knowledge.. :p
btw um off...lil tired of..u'll never get it..
oh nd i respect ur opinion nd point of vew

Offline Wargasm

• Since: 07/02/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 02:21:31 AM »
Maddog, the conservative idealism of not taxing or taxing very little benefits the rich and big businesses very disproportionately. Guess who lobbies for less taxes and less control over the people and business the most? Big businesses and conglomerates. Less government means business can do whatever the hell they want. Less taxes means they can maintain superiority over any beginners or those that did not start out advantageously.

Your quote from Rush Limbaugh is of course true, it is a huge blanket statement that does not really reflect what Rush Limbaugh really believes. What if I twisted his quote around and said, no great nation became prosperous without taxation?

To tell the truth it comes down to this. The people that are screwed by the system and the people need a hand are the ones that want more taxation. People that also care about those people that are disadvantaged also support higher taxes for education because they know it is not fair that the failures of your parents be brought down upon you. Those that believe that society is fair as it is and/or are benefiting from the system the most (corporations, the wealthy) of course want lower taxation. While you may not be either of those Maddog(I have no idea), you probably believe or have been told your whole life that if you fail, it isn't the system, it is either because you haven't worked hard enough or you were unlucky. Now who the **** do you think that saying benefits? Those that are at the high of the status quo.

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 03:13:19 AM »
Maddog, the conservative idealism of not taxing or taxing very little benefits the rich and big businesses very disproportionately. Guess who lobbies for less taxes and less control over the people and business the most? Big businesses and conglomerates. Less government means business can do whatever the hell they want. Less taxes means they can maintain superiority over any beginners or those that did not start out advantageously.

Your quote from Rush Limbaugh is of course true, it is a huge blanket statement that does not really reflect what Rush Limbaugh really believes. What if I twisted his quote around and said, no great nation became prosperous without taxation?

To tell the truth it comes down to this. The people that are screwed by the system and the people need a hand are the ones that want more taxation. People that also care about those people that are disadvantaged also support higher taxes for education because they know it is not fair that the failures of your parents be brought down upon you. Those that believe that society is fair as it is and/or are benefiting from the system the most (corporations, the wealthy) of course want lower taxation. While you may not be either of those Maddog(I have no idea), you probably believe or have been told your whole life that if you fail, it isn't the system, it is either because you haven't worked hard enough or you were unlucky. Now who the **** do you think that saying benefits? Those that are at the high of the status quo.

You speak of the rich with such disdain, when the fact of the matter is that they've become rich by working their ass off under extreme taxation (50% and sometimes more depending on their business setup).  Why should they be taxed even more, especially when those taxes pay for someone to sit on their ass doing nothing?  Here is a FACT.  The top 5% of wage earners pay 53.25% of the total taxes in the US.  How about one that hits a little closer to our pay grade.  The to 50% of people in this country pay over 96% of the taxes.  Talk about disproportionate tax rates!  Half of us are paying the taxes of the other half!

When people want to raise taxes, the general idea is "well, the rich can afford it.  Take it from them".  Problem is, the rich people worked hard for what they have, and they don't want to give any more of it up.  So what happens?  They downsize, and in so doing, cause job losses among the working class. 

I experienced this on a small scale back in 2006.  I was working for a tech company, and for a while, we were getting overtime on a regular basis.  I noticed that on a moderate week when I would have only a few hours of overtime, my check would actually be slightly less than if I had no overtime at all.  Why?  Because those few hours jumped me up into the next tax bracket.  The same thing is happening now with wealthy individuals.  Under heavy taxation, they either expand and increase their income by a lot, or they take it easy and work a bit less so that they drop down a level on the tax scale.

My point is that there is zero need for additional taxes in the first place.  Taxes should be cut so that you, me and the filthy rich guy across town get to keep more of our own money.  Sure, some entitlement programs would have to be cut, but if taxes are cut and reworked properly, much of the "need" for these programs would disappear.

FWIW, my ideal solution would be zero income tax.  20-25% sales tax for everyone on everything except for groceries.  Then when the government budget is balanced, maybe that number could drop to 18%.  Doesn't equal, fair taxation make the most sense?  Everyone would have to carry the load equally... rich, poor, illegal immigrants, tourists, etc... everyone who uses government in some capacity would have to pay for it.  No one would be able to cheat on their taxes.  Naturally, the wealthy would still pay most of the taxes because (duh) they buy more stuff.  And the extremely poor individuals would pay very little because food still wouldn't be taxed.  But a flat tax would solve a lot of issues... AND it would shrink or eliminate the IRS.  Now there's a big expense off the federal budget!

And to answer your question, I'm not a wealthy individual.  Nor am I poor.  I grew up in an average single-earner household (dad worked at the fire station and mom stayed home).  We lived in a fixer-upper house that cost $37,000.  We always had used cars.  We never had a nice TV, and we didn't even have a modern computer until 2000.  Since being on my own (2007), I've been flat broke many times, but as an entrepreneur, that's pretty much par for the course... and guess what?  Every time I've been broke, its been my fault.  Really!  Don't give me that crap about people being unable to do for themselves.  This is a huge societal issue.  Everyone wants to blame someone else for their own failures.  No one wants to take responsibilities for their own actions.

What's wrong with everyone being responsible for themselves?  Maybe I have more faith in people than you do.  I believe that everyone has the ability to be successful in some capacity.  Why do you insist that they don't? 

No matter the crappy situation, there is always a way through it, even for those that grow up extremely disadvantaged.  Getting to a better place is rarely easy, but then again, nothing really worthwhile ever is.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:35:57 AM by Maddog[1up] »

-Ronald Reagan

-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Stella

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 04:15:13 AM »
Maddog seems to me that you live in the fairy tale world where it is easy to enrich...if everything u say was true nd was so easy getting to a better place even for those that grow up extremely disadvantagedthere would be no poor desperate people...

Offline PowerMaid

• Since: 06/02/2010
    • A Games Industries
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 09:43:34 AM »
IMO, this is going to get out of hand soon. Lock?

Offline Pyrite[1up]

• *[1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • Since: 08/11/2009
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
Maddog seems to me that you live in the fairy tale world where it is easy to enrich...if everything u say was true nd was so easy getting to a better place even for those that grow up extremely disadvantagedthere would be no poor desperate people...

Stella YOU are the one living in the fairy tale world, do you honestly believe that? I thought you were intelligent...
•·.· ́ ̄`·.·•"Most Likely to Pillage the Global Village"•·.· ́ ̄`·.·•

Offline Zangetsu

• With me, all things end.
  • Since: 29/08/2010
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 12:58:44 PM »
I think EVERYONE is living in a fairy tail world. Just STFU and keep on living. It's OBVIOUS neither one of you shall change the others views so this is pretty much akin to an atheist arguing with a religious person. NOBODY WINS. No matter what. Just shut the hell up and move on.
"I want to know which of us is stronger. I'll gladly raise my blade against you if that's what it takes to find that out."

"Cast off your fear! Look forward! Go forward! Never stand still. Retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die."

"Do you want to win? Or do you want to live? Which will it be? ... There's no meaning to just fighting."

Offline BourBon

• *Friend of 1up
  • Since: 17/12/2009
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »

No one wants to take responsibilities for their own actions.

Right on.

US

Land of the free!

Free to succeed

Free to fail

That is empowering and motivational.

If you take away the freedom to fail by being completely taken care of,

Then you take away motivation to be something, to succeed, to contribute to society

Offline Panda[1up]

• HR Management
  • *[1up] HRM
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Clan Social Responsibility
  • Since: 11/10/2009
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »
The top 5% of wage earners pay 53.25% of the total taxes in the US.  How about one that hits a little closer to our pay grade.  The to 50% of people in this country pay over 96% of the taxes.  Talk about disproportionate tax rates!  Half of us are paying the taxes of the other half!

This at least, is true.

(04:26:27) Severon: real funny bro alright lets go, u and me 1v1
(04:26:37) Severon ip/pw
(04:27:07) Severon: ip is go f urself, pw is i'll talk to u later cuz im bout to pass out
(04:27:30) Severon just joined... didn't see anyone. talk about a cop - out. cool story