News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: For those who are in school  (Read 3805 times)

Offline oneinch

• Since: 30/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • my personal bs site that I dont update or mess with anymore
For those who are in school
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:34:14 PM »
I know that a lot of you are in college like I am, while others still plan to go to college. This documentary was released a short time ago and is very interesting; I am still not sure what  to fully take of it. This video is about an hour long but I feel it is still worth watching and considering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE#ws
I LOVE THE FRAG IN THE MORNING!!

Offline TurbanError

• Since: 12/11/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: For those who are in school
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:45:46 PM »
I am trying to look up where I saw this.  But I swore I saw statistics that had average college grad salaries vs avg mutual fund interests and the results were the college grad only had more total income (school expenses are in there too) after 40 years.

Master's degrees don't pay off but some PHDs do.  I am in a masters program because my school pretty much dropped you after graduation (and the point is to get a good steady job).  Approach college as an "in" to a career not another stepping stone in life (my mistake, but I am rectifying).

Offline oneinch

• Since: 30/04/2009
    • my personal bs site that I dont update or mess with anymore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 04:12:27 PM »
I  just trying to get an Associates for Computer Information Systems so I could do a career change out of the culinary field, but now I am starting to wonder if there is even a point to it all? I have been trying for ever to get a job in the industry and can't even land the simplest of entry level positions. I have seriously been questioning if there is even going to be jobs when I get my degree because there really isn't any now. And what is going to happen when hyperinflation hits? I have been hearing a lot of talk about this and can't help see it as an inevitable end to our borrowing and spending well above our G.D.P and then printing money like crazy to cover that debt along with many other economic factors that have taken place in the last 100 years of American history. I have scarified many relationships and much of my life to get this degree, and now it seems like it was all for nothing. I have all kinds of certificates and training in the culinary field and I also have plenty of experience and knowledge with computers, yet I find it extremely difficult to land a job at Mc. Donalds. The same for entry level positions like a tier 1 tech support where all you do is diagnose problems with crappy outlook or some other crappy M.S. product. So it's like, whats the point any more?
I LOVE THE FRAG IN THE MORNING!!

Offline Panda[1up]

• HR Management
  • *[1up] HRM
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Clan Social Responsibility
  • Since: 11/10/2009
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »
The video lost my vote at 55:00 lmao. That statement is cute.

(04:26:27) Severon: real funny bro alright lets go, u and me 1v1
(04:26:37) Severon ip/pw
(04:27:07) Severon: ip is go f urself, pw is i'll talk to u later cuz im bout to pass out
(04:27:30) Severon just joined... didn't see anyone. talk about a cop - out. cool story

Offline J-Squared[1up]

• mmm Spam
  • *[1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • nom nom nom
  • Since: 24/11/2010
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:41:59 AM »
I am trying to look up where I saw this.  But I swore I saw statistics that had average college grad salaries vs avg mutual fund interests and the results were the college grad only had more total income (school expenses are in there too) after 40 years.

Master's degrees don't pay off but some PHDs do.  I am in a masters program because my school pretty much dropped you after graduation (and the point is to get a good steady job).  Approach college as an "in" to a career not another stepping stone in life (my mistake, but I am rectifying).

I am just starting to go to college this summer, Community College offers fully online programs which I need for my work situation, a few days before I turn 30. I am doing this only as a means to make some positions where I am easier to obtain and therefore increase my pay.  With only a high school diploma I am already earning more than most PHDs according to the government, so college has not proven a necessity for me to get into jobs that pay well, I am in fact earning more than many peers with degrees. That said, there are jobs and career paths that require degrees, and there are jobs that it is easier to obtain with a degree so just do what you feel you need to do to get what you want.

Also, i will not finance school. I am paying cash each semester, after I get out of CC and into a 4 year (should I go that route) I may change things, but I hate debt, so would rather save and pay a semester at a time or take less per semester than owe for years (still paying on my wife's student loans, 6 more years).

Just my $.02 and YMMV.

EDIT: I did not watch the video, just replying to Turban.

Offline Stella

• Since: 05/03/2010
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 02:22:35 AM »
in europ the study is free..(except uk, where private schools have more value than public), nd also we have the free medical health care system xD

Offline Chuck[1up]

• *[1up] Support Member
  • You will never walk alone
  • Since: 25/04/2010
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 02:55:09 AM »
I have very less knowledge about degree level study in USA.. or how expensive it is . Well in UK its ridiculously expensive, especially for the students who are going to start from this year . Before 2011 Govt. had a fixed rate for majority of the university (luckily I fall into the previous law), now they have changed their law, university can charge as much as they want. (restricted to £10000). You can take student loan, then you will end up having a huge debt on your shoulder after you graduate. It will take you all your life to pay it off. I doubt any lower class or middle class family can afford their children to send to a university (unless they save for their kid from the day he/she born).

Having a degree is always good for your resume/cv . But most employer now looks for experience, even if you dont have a degree, but you have experience of working in that particular field, they will value you more. Training an employer is a big expense for any employee. But if you have degree and experience obviously you will have much more value. It also depends  on which field you want to go, for example to be a doctor obviously you have to go through all the degrees and other advance studies. If you are too confuse about your future, choose what you want to do , and go to a career consultant, tell them your situation, its always wise to talk to someone more professional.

In Uk over 2.50 million people unemployed. Finding a job is soo hard and tough. Even with 1st class degree its still not easy to get a job. I just hope I can get into something after my graduation.

[note: I haven't watched the video, but I will try to watch when I get the time]

Offline Panda[1up]

• HR Management
  • *[1up] HRM
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Clan Social Responsibility
  • Since: 11/10/2009
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »
I could really care less my college is paid in full in scholarships, I have an on campus job for spending money, im going into a career that is in the top 3 most needed until 2018. I have the knowledge to start my own business which I will when I work in my career for some time. This video doesn't bother me very much.

(04:26:27) Severon: real funny bro alright lets go, u and me 1v1
(04:26:37) Severon ip/pw
(04:27:07) Severon: ip is go f urself, pw is i'll talk to u later cuz im bout to pass out
(04:27:30) Severon just joined... didn't see anyone. talk about a cop - out. cool story

Offline TurbanError

• Since: 12/11/2010
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 12:35:24 PM »
Also, i will not finance school. I am paying cash each semester,

This is a good plan.  This is what I am trying to do, but I have yet to be as fortunate with my job opportunities.  Perhaps my move to CA will help me in a my TV and film job search.  Again, only going from memory, the article was assuming that you had all the money you would have paid for a 4 year degree invested, and that you were going in debt to pay for school (so it starts out as an uphill battle).

Offline Stella

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »
I could really care less my college is paid in full in scholarships, I have an on campus job for spending money, im going into a career that is in the top 3 most needed until 2018. I have the knowledge to start my own business which I will when I work in my career for some time. This video doesn't bother me very much.
well you r lucky. but here we're not talking about individual problems, we are talking about the system in general, which is wrong. and then it not sure that the luck u had also ur your children will have it, or ur brothers nd sisters, or cusins...

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
  • Since: 11/11/2009
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 02:23:09 AM »
in europ the study is free..(except uk, where private schools have more value than public), nd also we have the free medical health care system xD

Nothing is free.  Someone is paying for it, and paying dearly.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

No nation ever taxed itself into prosperity.
-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Wargasm

• Since: 07/02/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 02:31:47 AM »

Of course the guy that quoted rush limbaugh in his signature would say this to the european system  :D :D

Offline Stella

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 06:46:35 AM »

the Government pay, at the same time we pay the Government taxes.
the diffrent between us nd usa is that u pay taxes, Education, nd ur health care system...we just pay the taxes...nd our healthcare system is way better then urs..

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
  • Since: 11/11/2009
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 06:54:50 PM »

the diffrent between us nd usa is that u pay taxes, Education, nd ur health care system...we just pay the taxes...nd our healthcare system is way better then urs..

I understand what your country does.  Every citizen pays huge portions of their income to the government as taxes.  The government then decides how best to give your money back to you.  They provide your education, healthcare, etc... but all on their terms.  They have total control over your life.  And you continue to vote for your leaders simply because they continue this system.  You figure "I payed into this, so I better get something out of it".  But what if you weren't forced to pay into the system?  Wouldn't that be better?

Maybe I'm just too independent.  Maybe I've just seen way too much inefficiency, waste, fraud and abuse within government.  But my standpoint is this: everyone should be able to keep as much of their money as possible.  I want my taxes to be low so that if I want to buy my own healthcare or pay for my own education, I am able to.  BUT if I choose not to spend MY money on these things, I have more of my own money to put in my bank account, buy a new truck, or buy a house. 

Why should your government be the one to decide what is the best use of your money, and what you need?  I personally think that those decisions are best left to each citizen. 

@wargasm, love or hate Rush, but you cannot disagree with the quote.  There is not one nation out there who's citizens are prosperous under high taxation.  That's one of two major reasons why the USA was formed in the first place.

I also disagree that the common European healthcare system is better then what's privately available here, but that's a whole other can of worms. 

ANYWAY, /rant.  I don't want to start some big argument or debate, but I felt the need to get that off my chest.  Sorry for taking this off course.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

No nation ever taxed itself into prosperity.
-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Stella

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 07:16:46 PM »

I understand what your country does.  Every citizen pays huge portions of their income to the government as taxes.  The government then decides how best to give your money back to you.  They provide your education, healthcare, etc... but all on their terms.  They have total control over your life.  And you continue to vote for your leaders simply because they continue this system.  You figure "I payed into this, so I better get something out of it".  But what if you weren't forced to pay into the system?  Wouldn't that be better?

Maybe I'm just too independent.  Maybe I've just seen way too much inefficiency, waste, fraud and abuse within government.  But my standpoint is this: everyone should be able to keep as much of their money as possible.  I want my taxes to be low so that if I want to buy my own healthcare or pay for my own education, I am able to.  BUT if I choose not to spend MY money on these things, I have more of my own money to put in my bank account, buy a new truck, or buy a house. 

Why should your government be the one to decide what is the best use of your money, and what you need?  I personally think that those decisions are best left to each citizen. 

@wargasm, love or hate Rush, but you cannot disagree with the quote.  There is not one nation out there who's citizens are prosperous under high taxation.  That's one of two major reasons why the USA was formed in the first place.

I also disagree that the common European healthcare system is better then what's privately available here, but that's a whole other can of worms. 

ANYWAY, /rant.  I don't want to start some big argument or debate, but I felt the need to get that off my chest.  Sorry for taking this off course.
the things u said ha no sence...
The fact is, paying taxes, Europeans receive generous support for families and individuals, and to have these services Americans need to pay big bucks. This includes quality health care for every person in exchange for a modest fee deducted from your paycheck. The average cost is about half what they pay Americans. While 47 million Americans have no health insurance, those who have it pay ever higher premiums. It's not all. In return for their taxes, Europeans also receive low-cost assistance for their children, a retirement decent, cheap or free university education, training and retraining for workers, paid time off for health reasons or family, many holidays, cheap vacation , elderly care, efficent public transport and more.
Americans who want to give their children an adequate education set aside nearly a thousand dollars for the college education of their children, and the majority of graduates have tens of thousands of dollars in debt. But the boys attend European or almost free university courses (by region). Assistance to children in the U.S. costs about $ 12,000 a year for a family of four. In Europe this figure is one-sixth that of America, and the quality is far superior. Millions of Americans are focusing as much as possible IRA (pension fund) and 401k (savings system for pensions), because the Social Security provides only half of their retirement income. Instead, the European pension system, more generous, give about 75-85% (depending on your country) income.
Private expenditure on social welfare of Americans is almost three times higher than the one that says every citizen in Europe, because Americans need to self-finance a significant percentage. Pay more in state and local taxes, property taxes and hidden fees such as $ 300 billion a year in federal tax breaks to companies that give health benefits to their employees. Summing up, the result is that Americans pay as Europeans, but receive much less.
so i prefer 2 pay taxes i need 2 have an education, i need 2 sleep properly thinking that some1 is taking care of me nd my family...nd i obviously dont need your so-called freedom...