News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Batman Shooting  (Read 8844 times)

Offline BourBon

• *Friend of 1up
  • Since: 17/12/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Batman Shooting
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »
It wasn't a comparison.

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
  • Since: 11/11/2009
Batman Shooting
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 10:15:19 AM »
RedRum, I have both more time firing weapons and more research into their proper use than you.  Don't try to explain something that you have little to no experience with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

No nation ever taxed itself into prosperity.
-Rush Limbaugh

Offline RedRumOnE

• ____Asylum____
  • I am an island
  • Since: 04/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »
RedRum, I have both more time firing weapons and more research into their proper use than you.  Don't try to explain something that you have little to no experience with.

If that's what I'm missing in this conversation then I guess you can count me out. Clearly I do not know what I'm saying.

let's ban guns, but also we should ban violent video games I think that's dangerous too.
You're right, totally not a comparison. Just an off topic post.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“The whole value of solitude depends upon one's self; it may be a sanctuary or a prison, a haven of repose or a place of punishment, a heaven or a hell, as we ourselves make it”

Offline BourBon

• *Friend of 1up
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 10:22:47 AM »
It could be construed as off topic, but really it's what it's all about, lowering violence.

Offline RedRumOnE

• ____Asylum____
  • I am an island
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24:16 AM »
It could be construed as off topic, but really it's what it's all about, lowering violence.

It's about keeping people safe by limiting or increasing the use of guns in Americas society. Not the effects of violent video games or movies have on people.

Edit: Although in retrospect is is originally just about some dude that shot up a theater in CO which I have clearly lived in longer than any of you so you should just not try to explain something you have little to no experience with.

“The whole value of solitude depends upon one's self; it may be a sanctuary or a prison, a haven of repose or a place of punishment, a heaven or a hell, as we ourselves make it”

Offline BourBon

• *Friend of 1up
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 10:38:08 AM »
Back to the batman shooting instead of gun control,  I'm concerned how he ended up in this state of distress and what could have been done to help him before he caused this tragedy.

Offline RedRumOnE

• ____Asylum____
  • I am an island
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2012, 10:59:05 AM »
Back to the batman shooting instead of gun control,  I'm concerned how he ended up in this state of distress and what could have been done to help him before he caused this tragedy.

http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-suspect-brilliant-science-student-230349806.html

Offline BourBon

• *Friend of 1up
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-suspect-brilliant-science-student-230349806.html

maybe it was too much pressure to succeed! maybe,  I don't know, I didn't know him.  I can't speculate what was really going on or what might have happened to him in the past.  Sometimes things look perfect, but rarely they are    :( 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:46:35 AM by BourBon[1up] »

Offline SnKcoffee

• Since: 27/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »
" Even the Clinton Justice Department (through the National Institute of Justice) found there were as many as 1.5 million defensive users of firearms every year. "

" The finding of 1.5 million yearly self-defense cases did not sit well with the anti-gun bias of the study’s authors, who attempted to explain why there could not possibly be one and a half million cases of self-defense every year. Nevertheless, the 1.5 million figure is consistent with a mountain of independent surveys showing similar figures. The sponsors of these studies—nearly a dozen—are quite varied, and include anti-gun organizations, news media organizations, governments and commercial polling firms."

"The CDC study examined gun and ammunition bans, waiting periods, background checks, lock-up your safety laws, plus much more. The inescapable conclusion was that the "evidence was insufficient" to show that such gun restrictions reduced crime rates. [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "First Reports Evaluating the Effectiveness of Strategies for Preventing Violence: Early Childhood Home Visitation and Firearms Laws," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (October 3, 2003), vol. 52(No. RR-14):14-18."

"Even using the low figures from the Clinton Justice Department, firearms are used almost 50 times more often to save life than to take life."

" According to the BBC News, handgun crime in the United Kingdom rose by 40% in the two years after it passed its draconian gun ban in 1997.(18) And according to a United Nations study, British citizens are more likely to become a victim of crime than are people in the United States. The 2000 report shows that the crime rate in England is higher than the crime rates of 16 other industrialized nations, including the United States."

"States which passed concealed carry laws reduced their rate of murder by 8.5%, rape by 5%, aggravated assault by 7% and robbery by 3%;"

"Florida: concealed carry helps slash the murder rate in the state. In the fifteen years following the passage of Florida's concealed carry law in 1987, over 800,000 permits to carry firearms were issued to people in the state.(32) FBI reports show that the homicide rate in Florida, which in 1987 was much higher than the national average, fell 52% during that 15-year period—thus putting the Florida rate below the national average."

I mean, do you even use the available data to verify your opinons?  :o
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:52:27 AM by coffee »
RedRumOnE: "I never said I was perfect."
7/23/2012 at at 1:11:11 AM EST

Offline RedRumOnE

• ____Asylum____
  • I am an island
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »
" Even the Clinton Justice Department (through the National Institute of Justice) found there were as many as 1.5 million defensive users of firearms every year. "

" The finding of 1.5 million yearly self-defense cases did not sit well with the anti-gun bias of the study’s authors, who attempted to explain why there could not possibly be one and a half million cases of self-defense every year. Nevertheless, the 1.5 million figure is consistent with a mountain of independent surveys showing similar figures. The sponsors of these studies—nearly a dozen—are quite varied, and include anti-gun organizations, news media organizations, governments and commercial polling firms."

"The CDC study examined gun and ammunition bans, waiting periods, background checks, lock-up your safety laws, plus much more. The inescapable conclusion was that the "evidence was insufficient" to show that such gun restrictions reduced crime rates. [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "First Reports Evaluating the Effectiveness of Strategies for Preventing Violence: Early Childhood Home Visitation and Firearms Laws," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (October 3, 2003), vol. 52(No. RR-14):14-18."

"Even using the low figures from the Clinton Justice Department, firearms are used almost 50 times more often to save life than to take life."

" According to the BBC News, handgun crime in the United Kingdom rose by 40% in the two years after it passed its draconian gun ban in 1997.(18) And according to a United Nations study, British citizens are more likely to become a victim of crime than are people in the United States. The 2000 report shows that the crime rate in England is higher than the crime rates of 16 other industrialized nations, including the United States."

"States which passed concealed carry laws reduced their rate of murder by 8.5%, rape by 5%, aggravated assault by 7% and robbery by 3%;"

"Florida: concealed carry helps slash the murder rate in the state. In the fifteen years following the passage of Florida's concealed carry law in 1987, over 800,000 permits to carry firearms were issued to people in the state.(32) FBI reports show that the homicide rate in Florida, which in 1987 was much higher than the national average, fell 52% during that 15-year period—thus putting the Florida rate below the national average."

I mean, do you even use the available data to verify your opinons?  :o

Tl;Dr

Offline SnKcoffee

• Since: 27/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
obv it's not for redrum, his pseudo-intellectualism is too good.  ;)
RedRumOnE: "I never said I was perfect."
7/23/2012 at at 1:11:11 AM EST

Offline RedRumOnE

• ____Asylum____
  • I am an island
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »
obv it's not for redrum, his pseudo-intellectualism is too good.  ;)

It's just a biased post without citations to where the content is hosted. I am sure I can find quotes of cons about all of the points you guys make too. Only difference is I would have to back it up with actual references.

We could sit here and argue our opinions all day but someone has to eventually grow up and say this isn't worth the time it takes to argue about or even respond to. So I'm done having a pissing match with people who are opinionated like I am.

Offline BourBon

• *Friend of 1up
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2012, 01:03:13 PM »
I thought we were just discussing it, I didn't realize we brought our emotions into it.   :o  People are just stating facts from both sides and that's what makes it interesting.   It's not a waste of time to hear what people think.  It's a waste of time to get mad about what someone else thinks. 

Besides it's not gonna bring those people back or make them uninjured.  All everyone is discussing is statistics on whether banning or not banning gun would result in less innocent people being killed.  Innocent people get saved and killed by guns everyday.  Either way innocent people will continue to get saved or killed by guns...banned or not banned. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:17:30 PM by BourBon[1up] »

Offline RedRumOnE

• ____Asylum____
  • I am an island
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2012, 01:39:39 PM »
I thought we were just discussing it, I didn't realize we brought our emotions into it.   :o  People are just stating facts from both sides and that's what makes it interesting.   It's not a waste of time to hear what people think.  It's a waste of time to get mad about what someone else thinks. 

Besides it's not gonna bring those people back or make them uninjured.  All everyone is discussing is statistics on whether banning or not banning gun would result in less innocent people being killed.  Innocent people get saved and killed by guns everyday.  Either way innocent people will continue to get saved or killed by guns...banned or not banned.

It's just theory craft. Overall we can't make the final decision so it is just a waste of time to even discuss it. No one said anything about feelings getting involved. You're right though It can't be COMPLETELY stopped. People will still make bad decisions regardless.

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
  • Since: 25/11/2009
    • Youtube's channel
Batman Shooting
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
fool
“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”