News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Screenshot/Demo  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Lurker

• Since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • My Tumblr
Screenshot/Demo
« on: June 07, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
I press F11 and look in my Urban Terror program folder, let's call it X for short. X/q3ut4/screenshots... nothing there. Huh?

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
  • Since: 02/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
Re: Screenshot/Demo
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:16:18 PM »
You could always use XFire to take screenshots if need be....

Offline Lurker

• My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:21:44 PM »
You could always use XFire to take screenshots if need be....
Oh didn't know it had that function. I'll look it up. Thanks...

However, I'd like to fix my problem

Offline |$|CandyMan

• Since: 17/03/2009
    • My Small Unsuccessful Website(But hey at least its got a forum.)
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:49:42 AM »
They're all in
[USER DIRECTORY]/appdata/Local/VirtualStore/[X - The path you have]/q3ut4/screenshots/
Apparently Windows thinks it's funny to hide it all there. 'appdata' is a hidden folder so you'll have to navigate to it directly in the address bar.
Hackers in the bag as of now: 9
Kicked, shadow, >TsK|RiDiicK, OMG_WORMY, Exitus, Lermontov, megaman, aNooB, MasterOfOwning

Offline FedoraMike

• Since: 27/04/2009
    • My Webpage/Portfolio - Under Construction
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 03:01:09 AM »
They're all in
[USER DIRECTORY]/appdata/Local/VirtualStore/[X - The path you have]/q3ut4/screenshots/
Apparently Windows thinks it's funny to hide it all there. 'appdata' is a hidden folder so you'll have to navigate to it directly in the address bar.

Yeah that can happen depending on what OS you use and whether or not you use mitsubishi's optimized UrT build (which I do).  The way to fix it on windows (at least for me) was to set the homepath to my urban terror directory on program execution.  This means I add +set fs_homepath "C:\Users\FedoraMike\UrbanTerror" to the target section of my UrT shortcut so it reads:

C:\Users\FedoraMike\UrbanTerror\ioUrbanTerror.exe +set fs_homepath "C:\Users\FedoraMike\UrbanTerror"

Its a known issue with the optimized build for Windows and will save all demos and screens to the appdata folder

Another issue is that on Win7 (and possibly Vista) the program files directory is administrator write protected.  If you install to the program files directory nothing will save (demos, configs, screens etc)  Thats why they (Frozen Sand) suggest you use a different folder (I use my user home directory) and avoid using program files.

Also, info on the optimized build for those interested:
http://www.www0.org/w/Optimized_executable;_builds_of_ioq3_engine_for_urt#Downloads

Offline Lurker

• My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
They're all in
Wasn't in there.  I might go for Mike's solution. Looks to be valid. Might have to reinstall UT XD

Offline FedoraMike

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:33:38 AM »
Don't have to reinstall if you have it installed in the Program Files directory, just copy the Urban Terror folder somewhere else and change the path on the desktop shortcut, no need to reinstall, UrT install is really just unpacking a zipped folder anyway :)

Offline PowerMaid

• Since: 06/02/2010
    • A Games Industries
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 05:57:13 PM »
K, Anyone have the resolution for this on a Mac?

Offline Lurker

• My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »
Well the way fedora mike is making it sound you need to 'sudo chmod -r "Urban Terror" 776' or something like that. if that doesn't work, read the man page.

Offline PowerMaid

• Since: 06/02/2010
    • A Games Industries
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 06:26:21 PM »
the 'man' page? That where I learn how to seduce women and grill a steak? lol

Offline FedoraMike

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 06:49:39 PM »
Well the way fedora mike is making it sound you need to 'sudo chmod -r "Urban Terror" 776' or something like that. if that doesn't work, read the man page.

Write protection generally isn't a problem for Mac or Linux/Unix users.  Only Windows Vista and up after they implemented the gung-ho administrator mode.

I'm assuming you're talking about the demos saving in the wrong folder...

Not sure if it works on a Mac, never tried it or even used one... but when you open UrT bring down the console and type /fs_homepath and hit enter.  It will probably be set to User\Library\ApplicationSupport\Quake3\ or something like that... if it is then you'll need to set your homepath on execution (since the variable is write protected you can't change it once the game has loaded)  This is done in windows by editing the shortcut properties and adding +set fs_homepath "PATH_TO_URT_DIR" to the target... I'd assume there is something similar for a mac but I don't know... Hopefully this helps :)

Offline Lurker

• My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 07:18:14 PM »

Write protection generally isn't a problem for Mac or Linux/Unix users.  Only Windows Vista and up after they implemented the gung-ho administrator mode.

I'm assuming you're talking about the demos saving in the wrong folder...

Not sure if it works on a Mac, never tried it or even used one... but when you open UrT bring down the console and type /fs_homepath and hit enter.  It will probably be set to User\Library\ApplicationSupport\Quake3\ or something like that... if it is then you'll need to set your homepath on execution (since the variable is write protected you can't change it once the game has loaded)  This is done in windows by editing the shortcut properties and adding +set fs_homepath "PATH_TO_URT_DIR" to the target... I'd assume there is something similar for a mac but I don't know... Hopefully this helps :)
Why do that when you can chmod properly? Also, Unix-based systems use '/' not '\'. Also, if Apple didn't change too much, shortway to do it is just to use ~/ to represent home directory.

Edit:

Let me explain. The way you described the problem screams "permission error". I've tried giving read/write priveleges to my Urban Terror folder, but it won't work right. That's why, we should move it to a folder with correct permissions (and it's honestly EASIER to reinstall, which I'll do XD). However, *drumroll* unix base systems have permissions that actually seem to work right. Rather than moving files, it's way easier to just deal with the problem at hand: permission error.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:33:34 PM by Lurker »

Offline FedoraMike

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »

Why do that when you can chmod properly? Also, Unix-based systems use '/' not '\'. Also, if Apple didn't change too much, shortway to do it is just to use ~/ to represent home directory.

Edit:

Let me explain. The way you described the problem screams "permission error". I've tried giving read/write priveleges to my Urban Terror folder, but it won't work right. That's why, we should move it to a folder with correct permissions (and it's honestly EASIER to reinstall, which I'll do XD). However, *drumroll* unix base systems have permissions that actually seem to work right. Rather than moving files, it's way easier to just deal with the problem at hand: permission error.

There are two different problems described in this thread.  Since I'm pretty sure i've seen powermad upload demos before I am assuming his issue is #2 below (not permission based) and I answered it accordingly.  If his are not showing up anywhere then it could be permissions.  Your problem could be either since you never mentioned if the files were being saved in the appdata directory (but I'd bet permissions if you are on win vista or 7 and running the normal build from urbanterror.info since the default homepath is correct in that build for windows)

1) Demos, Screenshots, Configs don't save at all:

This is a permission error commonly found in Windows Vista or Windows 7.  Permissions are generally not an issue for Windows XP (since program files is not protected) or Linux/Mac since it's not "installed" but rather unzipped by the user creating the directory with the correct user permissions (hence the different "install" packages)  Also when I had to do this it was just a matter or drag and drop to fix the permissions on Win7 but if reinstalling is easier then at least backup your config if you can :)

2) Demos are being saved to a different directory path:

This is not a permissions error, its an "error" in the default homepath directory for the Urban Terror client.  The client saves demos, screens etc in it's homepath, and if that's not set to your Urban Terror directory it will not save there.  In Windows it can be set on execution the way I described and can be done similarly in linux.  I would assume it's also possible on a mac but don't know the exact steps.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:22:59 PM by FedoraMike »

Offline Lurker

• My Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 05:59:19 PM »
Couldn't figure out which one was settings so I stole my q3ut4 folder

Offline Lurker

• My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 07:14:31 PM »
Although it didn't seem to save squat. So I redeleted and will re-reinstall Urban Terror XD