News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Cyclemap voting getting out of hand?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline 3AKOH

• Since: 08/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Cyclemap voting getting out of hand?
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:24:24 PM »
Every once in a while there is an impatient or selfish player (or both) on the CTF server who starts calling a cyclemap vote on every other map, perhaps because they want to play Abbey all the day or perhaps their team had a bad start. I think many of these serial vote callers do not even realize at first that the CTF server has only so many maps. Sometimes, if the vote doesn't pass, they do it again until the map cycles. IMHO, if someone can't live with half of the maps on the server then they should either find another server or suck it up.

Could something be done to make this feature of UrT less annoying? Personally, I wouldn't miss it at all if it was simply disabled.

PS: Probably I should have posted this on the servers forum since I am implicitly referring to the 1up server..

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:27:02 PM by 3AKOH »

Offline Shans

• 1up believes in 2nd chances.
  • Since: 21/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Cyclemap voting getting out of hand?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:13:30 AM »
I think you need that vote on the CTF server. For instance, occasionally I'll go on there and it will be battlefield. There will be like 10+ on each team. And it is like impossible to get a cap. No even close. If there was no voting, it would stay on that map for hours.

Overall, there's not much to be done, really.

Offline 3AKOH

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:08:45 AM »
Well, if it's 10 vs 10 then keep trying or pretend for a moment it's a TDM game. It's a good challenge. However, whenever I see people trying to cycle a map, it can be ANY map and the number of players is usually way below 20.

It would be nice if at least the following rule could be implemented:

1. If the vote does not pass once, then forbid calling another cyclemap vote during the same game.

2. If the vote forces a mapcycle, then a cyclemap vote can't be called for three games in a row.

3. Perhaps limit the number of cyclemap votes a single player can start (e.g. one per hour or so)

or perhaps something similar, but I understand that such fine grained control may not be feasible on technical grounds.

PS: Battlefield CTF can become a stalemate with significantly less players if teams are well matched. You will hardly ever see score like 6:5 on that map (common on most others). It requires a good teamwork. You need one or two players who go for the flag, and at least two others who cover them, or perhaps some fancy work with smoke grenades and goggles until the whole field is covered in smoke. Yesterday, we were playing it with 5 or 6 players on each team. My team was attacking like crazy all the time with most action happening near the enemy flag and we still scored like 1 point in a whole game. I am not sure why this is happening. Perhaps if the flag was more accessible, it would be easier to steal it (e.g. move it off the bridge or eliminate that pool of toxic waste around it). Most players who try to grab the flag get shot on the bridge that leads to it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:22:45 AM by 3AKOH »

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
  • Since: 02/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »
Vote delay time was increased to 600 seconds. But this works, I believe, on a per person basis. If you call a vote that fails you will have to wait 600 seconds to call another vote.

1up could write a trusted vote build into our servers, but we have other more pressing projects to complete in our server builds: chat filter, admin-features, etc.

Offline Stella

• Since: 05/03/2010
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 04:06:10 PM »
i think once time expires on ctf server  I think  there should be a draw and then the map should change ... :D :D

Offline 3AKOH

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:13:56 AM »
Thanks! Let's hope this vote delay improves things.