News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Next Tournament..  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Shans

• 1up believes in 2nd chances.
  • Since: 21/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Next Tournament..
« on: December 22, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »
If we have another Cup can we make it password protected this time? It just makes it a lot fairer so some random guy doesn't come in and ruin ur stats. You could just like PM the password to whoever registers.

Offline 3k_dot

• I make sammiches.
  • Since: 30/06/2009
Re: Next Tournament..
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 03:39:33 PM »
i think thats a great idea shans!  :D

Offline Zhalix[1up]

• Cheddar
  • *[1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Derpty
  • Since: 07/04/2009
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 03:42:18 PM »
We may change how we do the next tournament, but I want to respond to this notion that the previous tournaments were somehow unfair.

We haven't had a password all this time on purpose.  The tournaments were intended from the start to allow anyone to join in and play.  Your stats are not being ruined by playing with these people, they're being made to be exactly as they should be. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:01:07 PM by Zhalix[1up] »

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
  • Since: 02/03/2009
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 03:45:52 PM »
The purpose of these tournaments is to attract the public players to 1up servers, not so we can shut out the public.

Offline FedoraMike

• Since: 27/04/2009
    • My Webpage/Portfolio - Under Construction
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 04:08:19 PM »
We may change how we do the next tournament, but I want to respond to this notion that the previous tournaments were somehow unfair.

We haven't had a password all this time on purpose.  The tournaments were intended from the start to allow anyone to join in and play.  Your starts are not being ruined by playing with these people, they're being made to be exactly as they should be. 

I understand that notion, and I agree with you, that's how it was meant to be from the beginning.  What really needs to be looked at is whether that is the right way to do it or not, I know I've been pulling for a password since before the first tourney, at least for the A league...in the A league tournament, you are getting higher caliber players that are expecting a real competition, this should be passworded even if none of the other servers are.

Saying it doesn't ruin the stats is just silly.  I'm sorry, but if you are telling me that having GoogleIt run around with knives and nades in the A League server blowing himself and teammates up isn't ruining the stats then I must really not understand the stats.  He makes himself an easy target giving the players opposite him easy kills and he kills his teammates hurting their score as well.  I believe he was even asked to leave by one of the competitors on his team because he was just screwing around and hurting the score.  His response was to switch to the other team and continue doing it...

If that's the case, why have tournament signups and registration, why not just run it, whoever is on the servers during that time is entered.  And also, you send higher caliber players into the A League tourney, kicking them out of the lower ladders, but you don't do the same the other way?  Shouldn't B League players be moved down to the B league if A League players are moved up to the A League?  Not saying I'm a great player, but I was holding my own in the A league well enough and wanted to be there, that's why I signed up in that league.  If players are there only to screw around that needs to be dealt with IMO...

Now I don't mean to single out Google, this goes for anyone that randomly joins the server.  It's easy to be frustrated playing against players of that caliber and players could easily resort to doing things mentioned above thus skewing the stats...  Shuffles would have also been nice, that affected the stats as well when the teams were obviously uneven skill wise.

All I'm saying is that if you really want an "A League" quality tournament with true competition, it needs to be at least a little exclusive otherwise it will never really be fair to the players signing up.  Granted, civil will still win pretty much everytime :P

And I know in either the B or C league stats I saw my old friend Madbadger, one of the most notorious teamkillers in UrT, and that made me laugh a bit :P

Offline Zhalix[1up]

• Cheddar
  • *[1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Derpty
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 04:35:14 PM »
What really needs to be looked at is whether that is the right way to do it or not, I know I've been pulling for a password since before the first tourney, at least for the A league...in the A league tournament, you are getting higher caliber players that are expecting a real competition, this should be passworded even if none of the other servers are.
I don't see a point in giving A League a password just because they're expecting high-level competition.  Instead of altering the tournament to go against its original purpose, the clear solution is that high-level players should simply not expect to fight only high-level players.

If we were going to do a password, every league would get it.  It doesn't make sense that only good players would get one.

Saying it doesn't ruin the stats is just silly.
Yes, GoogleIt running around with a knife ruins the stats.  However, that's not what I was talking about.  I'm talking about the vast majority of random players that do come in to seriously play.  They're not ruining anything, they're intended variables.

Now on the matter of people who run around with a knife: next tournament, if I see anyone ****ing around, they will be kicked promptly with no warning.

If that's the case, why have tournament signups and registration, why not just run it, whoever is on the servers during that time is entered.
We have registration for several reasons.  The most obvious of which is we need to know that the winner is actually someone who even cares about the tournament.

And also, you send higher caliber players into the A League tourney, kicking them out of the lower ladders, but you don't do the same the other way?  Shouldn't B League players be moved down to the B league if A League players are moved up to the A League?
You're allowed to register for a league appropriate for your skill level or higher.  You are not allowed to register in a lower league than what is appropriate for your skill level.  However GoogleIt playing on the A League server when he's registered for B is a different matter altogether.  When you play on a different league server, you're just like a player that is not registered for the tournament at all.  You will not be forced to leave just because your skill level doesn't match the league on the server.

Shuffles would have also been nice, that affected the stats as well when the teams were obviously uneven skill wise.
I would have liked to, but I've been forbidden from doing so.  Apparently it can crash a server.

All I'm saying is that if you really want an "A League" quality tournament with true competition, it needs to be at least a little exclusive otherwise it will never really be fair to the players signing up.
I don't think it's a matter of fairness.  I also think our tournaments are just fine in terms of quality.

Plenty of people sign up and have a good time.   If that stops being the case we might make some big changes, but right now it just seems unnecessary.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 04:55:25 PM by Zhalix[1up] »

beast

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 05:46:51 PM »
For the A divisions I would like to see a different server used. Us "pro" players are very picky about our hits and such.

T has a dedicated server with great hits and I know VeX has an amazing one. I am sure either clan would be willing to loan it for a few hours.

I don't mind the format at all. It is very different than most tournaments. However I would like to see the shuffleteams command in the mapcycle:

Code: [Select]
mapcycle.txt

shuffleteams
ut4_abbey
shuffleteams
ut4_casa

and so on.
That way there cannot be team stacking or more 'noobs' on one team versus another. There were often times this year when 3/5 of the good players were on one team. Leaving it looking like this

Red team                             Blue team
pro                                             pro
pro                                             pro
pro                                             noob
noob                                          noob
noob                                          noob
                                                  noob

This allowed the stacked teams to get more kills off the noobs. Now this only happened like 1-2 maps and I usually played against the stacked team so I could practice more. But there needs to be either an automatic autobalance or something like that to keep teams more even. OR even better would have the spectator admin to balance the teams manually.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:50:26 PM by beast »

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 05:50:10 PM »
There is a bug in the shuffleteams command which causes servers to crash every now and then. I hate to have a server crash during a tournament, which would be quite an embarrassment.

Offline Zhalix[1up]

• Cheddar
  • *[1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Derpty
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 06:00:44 PM »
I think it would be fine if it shuffled teams at the end/start of every map.  I could also try to manually balance the teams better.  I did do a couple forceteams in this last tournament but for the most part I just left them as they were.  There were a few rounds that could have really benefited from some forceteaming though.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:06:27 PM by Zhalix[1up] »

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »
I think it would be fine if it shuffled teams at the end/start of every map.  I could also try to manually balance the teams better.  I did do a couple forceteams in this last tournament but for the most part I just left them as they were.  There were a few rounds that could have really benefited from some forceteaming though.

I am hoping for an updated io with a cvar to correct shuffle problems. Then we will add that command to the mod.

Offline UnknownKilla

• BEWARE. IM A TRUE NINJA....
  • Since: 10/04/2009
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 08:54:17 PM »

yea. back when i had my own personal server running for friends or who ever joined the server it would crash every once and a while because i shuffled the teams cause i hate it when there are stacked teams. im not a pro and im not a noob but when when there are pros on one teams and noobs on the other. its rather an annoyance.

I am hoping for an updated io with a cvar to correct shuffle problems. Then we will add that command to the mod.
UnknownKilla is my name, a silent ninja is my game...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
dj_laidas made this!

Offline Shans

• 1up believes in 2nd chances.
  • Since: 21/06/2009
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »
Well, if not password protected, could you make it so that if a random person connects: If you die from them it doesnt count as a death, and if you kill them it doesn't count as a kill. Only people that are registered.

Offline FedoraMike

• Since: 27/04/2009
    • My Webpage/Portfolio - Under Construction
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 06:36:58 PM »
Well, if not password protected, could you make it so that if a random person connects: If you die from them it doesnt count as a death, and if you kill them it doesn't count as a kill. Only people that are registered.

I don't think that's really an issue, if a random person connects and actually plays (regardless of skill) it doesn't really effect the stats as long as teams are fairly balanced.  It's when players aren't taking things seriously that it effects the outcome...

Offline Shadow[1up]

• *[1up] UrT Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • I'll never try to fit in!, I was born to stand out
  • Since: 15/12/2009
    • 1up clan
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 06:39:14 PM »
ya that woud be fine or just let them on the spec sow thay can see and put a big txt on evry 15 min for next time you wane join the cup apply on the 1 up side

Offline civil

• Since: 30/10/2009
    • Clan-VeX
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 07:49:56 PM »
Take no offense to this, but I personally like the open servers during tourney play. It adds another variable to it. I'm not sure if it's your method of adding the scores, or that it hasn't happened yet. But the kill/death ratio's could get really messed up with stacked teams, or even one good player in one of the lower tear servers. The password server idea is not to bad for the B/C groups from my point of view. They usually have enough competition and are very close in skill level. If you passworded though's 2 servers I think scores would be a little better perhaps. The A league though struggles to have competitors join, and leaving it open is a good challenge for the players that claim A league skill for the tourney. Keeping it open can definitely help keep the competitors around so things change with different people in the server from time to time. It gets boring to a lot of players seeing the same thing over and over.