News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Chronic  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Schoota

• Since: 04/01/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Chronic
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:28:10 PM »
Hi.  I've never posted to this forum before, and I haven't been playing UrT that long but shortly after I started I discovered the Chronic map on Test Server and no one's ever seen me since.   I've been playing it for about a month solid now and have a few requests and ideas to offer. 

I love that it's only the Chronic map 24/7 over and over, but a small anti-monotony measure would be welcome, such as making every 20th or 30th game low gravity so we could shoot it out on the rooftops once in while.  I don't know if it is technically possible to put a treat like that in rotation, but it would be a great surprise.   Once on another server the admin tweaked the gravity settings live while we were playing and that was a complete, unexpected blast.  Suddenly we could all fly. 

Another great anti-monotony measure would be to allow players to turn OFF the music loop in the auditorium by going over to the DJ table and pressing the 'use' key.  That beat gets painfully monotonous after a month or so.  Of course there will then ensue a sub-battle over whether or not the music is on, which is funny and would add to the overall.  Again, I don't know if this is technically possible, but someone could check it out and see. 

So yeah, occasional low grav and a switch to kill the beat loop.  Otherwise it's perfect.  Fewer rules make for fewer boring squabbles over spawnkills and whatnot.   Don't change anything else and please leave it online forever.   Thank you.

Offline TurbanError

• Since: 12/11/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Chronic
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 02:23:28 PM »
I could be mistaken, but I believe the Chronic/test server was made to test out different bots/ways to make bots better.  I don't believe there is any plans to make this a long term server.  With that said, I do really like the idea.

Offline Schoota

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:06:44 PM »
Yeah it took a long time for me to realize that 8 of the players are bots (4 on each side).  That they are always there 24/7 was my first clue, and haunting them revealed that they are strangely shaky - like watching ol' Kathrine Hepburn wield a gun.  I had assumed that they were there just so that the place would never be empty.   

There is a battle dynamic to Chronic that is addictive and challenging.  I prefer it to all other maps because, as I said before: fewer rules make for fewer boring squabbles over spawnkills and whatnot.  It's nice to have a map where no one cares about that for a change.  Attacking each other's spawnbases is fun and that is part of what makes Chronic great.  That the map is so small is one of its strengths.  There's nowhere to hide and snipe, so campers learn to move it or lose it.

I am not the only Chronic addict.  There are many regulars now.  Please please please keep it available in the long term.   It  never gets old (except for the silly music loop, heh).

Offline Perdition[1up]

• *[1up] Member
  • Choose the spas!
  • Since: 21/11/2010
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 05:28:09 PM »
hmm maybe ill have to try this server out :D
My Steam name is Quix0tic[1up]. Let's play CS:S!

The Spas is the best weapon in the game. Hands down. No question.

Offline Schoota

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »
Please do show up... Every now and again a 1up god will appear and show us mortals how's done in the big leagues.  An awesome sight, but rare on Chronic.

Another request:  It seems to me that there are two basic styles of play: sniping and rumbling.  Some maps are great for snipers (lots of long distance and "keyhole" shots and cubbies to hide in), Chronic is a small confrontational space: perfect for rumblers (never stand still, lots of jumping, submachine gunning and knifeing).  To us rumblers, snipers are an annoyance and it would be great to have a haven - just one place where scoped weapons do not exist.  Chronic would be perfect for this as it is not really a sniper map anyway, and forcing everyone to rumble there would intensify an already great battlezone.

So, to recap the Chronic requests: 

- low gravity every 20th or 30th game
- a switch to turn off the beatloop in the auditorium
- no scoped weapons provided
- keep Chronic permanently available (plz plz plz)

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
  • Since: 02/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 02:36:33 PM »
.....So, to recap the Chronic requests: 

- low gravity every 20th or 30th game
- a switch to turn off the beatloop in the auditorium
- no scoped weapons provided
- keep Chronic permanently available (plz plz plz)

The next time I work on the Chronic server I will change that music or simply remove it. But I am not changing any of the weapons to any large extent. A good sniper on that map can make very high scores.

Offline Schoota

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »
A good sniper on that map can make very high scores.

True.  But that is true of most every map.  It would be special if there was one place where nobody could keep the game at a distance from themselves the way snipers do.  It would intensify the fighting, which is always a good thing.  I'm not anti-sniper, but having one place without them (a haven for rumble-style players) would be great and this would be the perfect map for that.   

Please think it over.  Thanks.  :)

Offline Kirbinator

• Phunky_BREWster
  • Since: 16/02/2012
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 09:51:11 AM »
Another request:  It seems to me that there are two basic styles of play: sniping and rumbling.  Some maps are great for snipers (lots of long distance and "keyhole" shots and cubbies to hide in), Chronic is a small confrontational space: perfect for rumblers (never stand still, lots of jumping, submachine gunning and knifeing).  To us rumblers, snipers are an annoyance and it would be great to have a haven - just one place where scoped weapons do not exist.  Chronic would be perfect for this as it is not really a sniper map anyway, and forcing everyone to rumble there would intensify an already great battlezone.

Chronic really is an amazing map; with 16 players, you can have distinct fire-fights that move and/or hold the lines. With the bots, there's a disadvantage to blue because of the balcony hallway. All of the elements work well together. I've spent a lot of time on the server at all hours and seen some amazing things; all out _war_. On the other hand, if there is a disadvantage, I'd say it's that if you're sniping and you run out of ammo, you're in a bind because people usually aren't dying around you. On the other hand, you have distance. The limitation is that if you switch to a subgun or pistol, you lose all accuracy -- your engagement range switches to iron sights. And how the hell does anyone hit anything across the map on iron sights?

I think that blue has a disadvantage in a mostly bot war. When three bots cram into the center window together, red (and red's bots) can just pick them off.

Being able to hide behind objects, the phone booths... everything on that map works well.

Though one does tire of the audio loop on occasion. I just stay out of the room. =D

Thanks guys, I like the map. It's nice to have a shooting gallery and just practice shooting sometimes.

Offline Kirbinator

• Phunky_BREWster
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Chronic is at present experiencing intermittent lag.

Also, by binding a key to s_stop, one can stop the loop from playing, until it's retriggered.

Offline Kirbinator

• Phunky_BREWster
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 06:35:56 PM »
Lagging again.

Offline Fusion[1upZ]

• *[1up] Member
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • For every task, there's a perfect tool
  • Since: 31/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Dem Cupcakes bro
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 08:07:12 AM »
this IS YOU lagging 1up recently moved thier servers to b3 meaing there should be no lag THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM NOT OURS

-Fighting without hope is no way to live, its just another way to die
-Insert inspirational comment here
Free Cupcakes

Offline Zod

• Since: 24/05/2011
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
Please refer to this page if you think the server is ever lagging.

When there are "sharks" (yellowish white triangles) on top of the netgraph, it could be the server, or it could be you.

Correct me if I'm wrong :P

Btw, I've seen a peson on Fun with this but 10x worse, and had 300 ping. And he plays there regularly, lol.

Offline Fusion[1upZ]

• *[1up] Member
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • For every task, there's a perfect tool
  • Since: 31/10/2011
    • Dem Cupcakes bro
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »

Btw, I've seen a peson on Fun with this but 10x worse, and had 300 ping. And he plays there regularly, lol.
hmmm let me guess is it you?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:11:32 AM by GreenFalcon[1up] »

-Fighting without hope is no way to live, its just another way to die
-Insert inspirational comment here
Free Cupcakes

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
  • Since: 02/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »
this IS YOU lagging 1up recently moved thier servers to b3 meaing there should be no lag THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM NOT OURS

The Chronic server sits on a shared host, not a dedicated box.
I will be putting the Chronic map on our Fun Server soon.

Offline King Whistle[1up]

• *[1up] Server Referee
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • Whistle always wins!
  • Since: 17/04/2010
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 01:58:27 AM »

The Chronic server sits on a shared host, not a dedicated box.
I will be putting the Chronic map on our Fun Server soon.
Is there still any plans for adding the Chronic map to the fun server? I play on the Fun server about 90% of the time but I am a huge fan of the Chronic map.