News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Novice Guide to "Fast Knife"  (Read 17557 times)

Offline Zhalix[1up]

• Cheddar
  • *[1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Derpty
  • Since: 07/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
Re: Novice Guide to "Fast Knife"
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 12:09:16 AM »
I agree, but with scripting I feel that you take away another facet of concentration zombie players don't have to worry about so they can put all their energy into look the direction of their enemy and jumping to catch their enemy.
That's exactly how we want the zombie team to play.

Why does this matter with zombie mode? Humans probably need to master several times the apm of a zombie player, switching between weapons, aiming at body parts, cooking grenades, jumping and evading zombies while doing all that.
That's exactly how we want the human team to play.

Zombie players with a knife script essentially have to do two things. Jump to reach the enemy, and look in the general direction of the human prey. That makes it that much easier for zombies as they don't have to do as much multitasking, they can focus on just killing.
Precisely.

Lol, I came back and lost another -2 karma. I don't understand who would do such a thing to me for voicing an opinion?
As opposed to you doing nothing...?

Offline Fantom

• Is Puberty Contagious?
  • Since: 20/07/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 12:20:36 AM »
Holy crao! I always thought that script for zombies was hard and ihave been looking for ir for like ever thanks turban u are a beast!

Offline Wargasm

• Since: 07/02/2011
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 12:24:43 AM »
I agree, but with scripting I feel that you take away another facet of concentration zombie players don't have to worry about so they can put all their energy into look the direction of their enemy and jumping to catch their enemy.
That's exactly how we want the zombie team to play.

Why does this matter with zombie mode? Humans probably need to master several times the apm of a zombie player, switching between weapons, aiming at body parts, cooking grenades, jumping and evading zombies while doing all that.
That's exactly how we want the human team to play.

Zombie players with a knife script essentially have to do two things. Jump to reach the enemy, and look in the general direction of the human prey. That makes it that much easier for zombies as they don't have to do as much multitasking, they can focus on just killing.
Precisely.

Lol, I came back and lost another -2 karma. I don't understand who would do such a thing to me for voicing an opinion?
As opposed to you doing nothing...?

What do you mean "as opposed to you doing nothing...?". I literally lost 5 karma for saying "scripting imo is cheap". Whatever, it's cool, just thought it was funny I got the -karma for saying what I said.

Offline Stella

• Since: 05/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 05:26:23 PM »
wargasm chill...i give u 1 karma xD
nd also to turban...thanks it is veru useful  :D

Lancers09

Novice Guide to "Fast Knife"
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 07:11:18 PM »
I am not a fan of script. HOWEVER, is there a way for the script to work only in zombie server so I don't got to go and change everything when I play at superTS?
That would be awesome

Sent from my iPod touch using tapatalk
(why do we write these?)

Offline p$yKo

• Since: 24/03/2011
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 07:17:28 PM »
Nice post Turban Error! Now people won't accuse me of scripting just because I have fast knife ( I use the first method).

How do you find out your fps?
Don't we set our fps in the setting?

Offline AuXAuV

• "Power corrupts the best"- Mikhail Bakunin
  • Since: 16/08/2010
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 11:22:40 PM »
Hey Psyko, setting your attack to scroll wheel? That's a script.
Scripts are simply singular or chains of commands to be executed
on an event (like key press).

Stop the misinformation!

Offline TurbanError

• Since: 12/11/2010
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 01:15:10 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I just want everyone to play a zombies and utilize the features of the server as they make a huge difference in game play.

I am not a fan of script. HOWEVER, is there a way for the script to work only in zombie server so I don't got to go and change everything when I play at superTS?
That would be awesome

If you check out the last section of the guide it shows how to make a bind that will essentially reset your binds.  In this case, I have "z" bound to change all my binds to the ones I use as a zombie, it also echoes back to me that I am in "zombie mode" and when I hit "x" it resets all the binds to how I want them as a human or all the time.  To make this even simpler and better for super ts you could bind "1" as a recursive script.  Hitting it once draws a knife and rebinds your attacks for the scripted fast knife.  Then hitting 1 again will go back to your previous weapon and change the attack command to normal.  You just have to remember that you can't scroll out of knife, you need to hit 1 again.

How do you find out your fps?
Don't we set our fps in the setting?
You can find your fps on your heads up display on your screen.  By default it is located in the upper right hand corner by your timer.  FPS is how many frames your computer can render in a second, it also used as a timeline for game actions (everything with a duration is measured in fps).  Certain situations can cause your fps to drop, like lots of smoke nades and your gpu not being able to render them properly, taking more time to render each frame, slowing your game down. 

While you can't set your fps, you can set a maximum number and your computer won't try to render higher.  Two reasons why this is a benefit.  First your computer isn't working as hard, doesn't heat up, ect.  More importantly, if you have a script that has a wait time and your fps fluctuates, the actual time (minutes and seconds) will be longer if your fps (frames per second) drop.  Also there is a theory on packets of information and fps and certain fps maximums are better than others.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:24:34 AM by TurbanError[1up] »

Offline p$yKo

• Since: 24/03/2011
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 07:50:32 AM »
@Ruusan

Oh I didn't know that...Sorry :p

I DO USE SCRIPTS! :D XD

Offline TurbanError

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »
I call setting 1 key to do 1 command a "bind" and setting 1 key to do multiple commands a "script".  So if you bind your scroll wheel to +attack; -attack, that is a script, but scroll wheel to +attack is a bind.  Mainly because you can bind in the settings of urt, but scripts usually have to be done in configs.

But that's really just splitting hairs... oh semantics  :-[

Offline (DEAD) Revolution

• Since: 24/12/2011
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 09:05:52 PM »
yeah thanks for your idea. i find this extremely interesting. although i consider myself a very experienced zombie, im extremely noob at scripting. i get very annoyed having to change scripts everytime i switch from red to blue, or blue to red.

When i go to human team (blue) with a fast knife script, i can't change my weapons and im stuck with one wepon in my hand. number keys are useless because in zombie you have more than one main and secondary weapons and weapons come out random.

When i go to zombie (red) with a weapon switch script, i dont have the advantage of fast knifing. , so i find myself constantly having to type in another script to change it from this to that, and on and on every time i switch teams which is very tiring and annoying.

but your script told me that you can switch from both fast knife to human with one push of a button. WOW  :omg: but even though i read your post very thoroly, i dont completely understand what to type in the urt console.  :|  :-\  :o i know you were just explaining what is happening, but it's because of that why i'm confused what to type.

could someone please tell me what to type in the console? like no explanation, just a straight forward line by line command im supposed to type. sort of like what im about to show at the bottom.

PS, the script below is an untested script from an unexperienced beginner (me).
What it's supposed to do is when i press Z, it will say "zombie mode activated" and the scroll wheel will be attack commands (for fast knifing). when i press X it will say "human mode activated" and the scroll wheel will for switching weapons instead. i dont know if it works. it may have a few gimiks and mistakes or somthing i didnt add. could someone tell me if this would work? and any feed back, suggestion and improvement is very helpful and appreciated. thanks for your time.

/set exec zombie.cfg "bind MWHEELUP +attack; -attack; +attack; -attack"
/set exec zombie.cfg "bind MWHEELDOWN +attack; -attack; +attack; -attack"
/set exec human.cfg "bind MWHEELUP weapon prev"
/set exec human.cfg "bind MWHEELDOWN weapon next"
/bind Z "exec zombie.cfg; ut_echo "Zombie Mode Activated";"
/bind X "exec human.cfg; ut_echo "Human Mode Activated";"

Offline TurbanError

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 09:26:17 PM »
Its slightly more involved than typing something in the console.  The method I use keeps a human mode config file and a zombie mode config file in the urt/q3ut folder and then binding a key to alternate from running one script or the other. 

There are three cfg (text files readable with a text editor) files attached to the initial post, these file go into your q3ut folder (you can copy and paste what is in the autoexec into your autoexec.cfg if you already have binds set up in there).

The autoexec holds the "switch" bind that says when pressing z or x it will change your binds and echo back which mode is active.

The zombie and human.cfg hold the specific zombie and human binds.  You can put whatever you like just as long as you know that bind one function on one side needs a bind on the other.  Example:  In the Zombie side I included a script that changes to your throwing knife and lowers your fov (the poor mans zoom).  Because I used the command for change weapon mode I need to put the bind on the human side (and its set to default with n changing weapon mode) since the weapon mode function can only be bound to one key at a time.  I don't have urt or ts3 untill January 5th, but that should be the jist.  Just change the zombie cfg binds to wheelup/down or whatever you like.

Offline Zangetsu

• With me, all things end.
  • Since: 29/08/2010
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »
yeah thanks for your idea. i find this extremely interesting. although i consider myself a very experienced zombie, im extremely noob at scripting. i get very annoyed having to change scripts everytime i switch from red to blue, or blue to red.

When i go to human team (blue) with a fast knife script, i can't change my weapons and im stuck with one wepon in my hand. number keys are useless because in zombie you have more than one main and secondary weapons and weapons come out random.

When i go to zombie (red) with a weapon switch script, i dont have the advantage of fast knifing. , so i find myself constantly having to type in another script to change it from this to that, and on and on every time i switch teams which is very tiring and annoying.

but your script told me that you can switch from both fast knife to human with one push of a button. WOW  :omg: but even though i read your post very thoroly, i dont completely understand what to type in the urt console.  :|  :-\  :o i know you were just explaining what is happening, but it's because of that why i'm confused what to type.

could someone please tell me what to type in the console? like no explanation, just a straight forward line by line command im supposed to type. sort of like what im about to show at the bottom.

PS, the script below is an untested script from an unexperienced beginner (me).
What it's supposed to do is when i press Z, it will say "zombie mode activated" and the scroll wheel will be attack commands (for fast knifing). when i press X it will say "human mode activated" and the scroll wheel will for switching weapons instead. i dont know if it works. it may have a few gimiks and mistakes or somthing i didnt add. could someone tell me if this would work? and any feed back, suggestion and improvement is very helpful and appreciated. thanks for your time.

The commands DO NOT go into Urban Terrors console.

What you do is go to your Urban Terror folder and open q3urt. Then find the entry that says autoexec.cfg. Open this and copy the script and paste it there. Save it and your done. Then press the toggle key to switch between modes.
"I want to know which of us is stronger. I'll gladly raise my blade against you if that's what it takes to find that out."

"Cast off your fear! Look forward! Go forward! Never stand still. Retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die."

"Do you want to win? Or do you want to live? Which will it be? ... There's no meaning to just fighting."

Offline (DEAD) Revolution

• Since: 24/12/2011
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »
ahh ok thank you both. i kinda understand. but is the script i wrote correct does it have any mistakes that will not make it work? does it have any errors in it? WIL IT WORK?  ;) so you are saying that (if it works) i just need to copy and paste the whole script into the autoexec.cfg thing, save it, and the next time i go zombie and press z or x it will work? ahaaa sweet  :P :D

Offline TurbanError

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 05:30:54 PM »
For starters, when your working in the cfg files you don't need a "/" to show a command. 

There are more than a few things wrong with your set of scripts and will not work.  For starters read this.

Here is whats wrong.  The "set" command defines a step in a recursive script.  The "exec" command runs an external file. Set and Exec should not be on the same line unless your step is to execute an external file.  You are also missing " symbols and I often put ; as a good habit to get into. 

Recursive scripts are a method of organization (grouping commands together and being able to toggle through them).  Making an external cfg is another method of organization (requiring a bind to activate the external file).

What you want looks like this:

In your Autoexec.cfg file:
Code: [Select]
//Main zombie, human switch
bind z "exec zombie.cfg; ut_echo "Zombie Mode Activated";"
bind x "exec human.cfg; ut_echo "Human Mode Activated";"

In your human.cfg file:
//Normal Weapon Scrolling
bind MWHEELUP "weapon prev;"
bind MWHEELDOWN "weapon next;"

//Normal Firing
bind MOUSE1 "+attack;"

Note: We rebind +attack as the key it would have been bindined to (wheelup/down) is no longer bound to that in human mode.

In your zombie.cfg
//Fast knife Scroll
bind MWHEELUP "+attack; -attack; wait #; +attack; -attack;"
bind MWHEELDOWN "+attack; -attack; wait #; +attack; -attack"

Note you will need to change the # symbol to a value based on your fps or be happy with dropped commands (not a bad option).  Also, I don't think your can have your +attack - attack bound to two separate keys at the same time... I am away on holidays so I won't be able to test, I would bet this makes only wheeldown with the attack routine.  For this reason mouse1 will probably not work for a single attack and was rebound in the human cfg.

Also, if you look at the original post I explain that this is an ok method, but lacks usability when you need to swap to your throwing knife.  Refer to the original post for more info, otherwise this should get you started.

because of that weird index.php glitch on attachments I reattached and made a megaupload of the 3 cfg files in the first post.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:41:08 PM by TurbanError[1up] »