News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: How'd you find 1up?  (Read 4758 times)

Offline 3k_dot

• I make sammiches.
  • Since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
How'd you find 1up?
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »
Basicly, you just have to answer the topic question. Everyone has their own little story of how they got here ;)

I'll go first:
*Now... let's take this all the way back to the begining.
One day my cousin(ex_twsiter) and I were getting bored of runescape
(Yes, Runescape.) and the ps2, so his older brother(Firestorm252)
showed us this game, UrT. My first round was a LAN game with them so
Twister and I could get the feel of the game. Once that was all done, Firestorm
showed us a server, called [DSG]Dallas TDM 4.0.

Unlike most newbies, we started on a legit, non spam, and mature server. After
Twister and I got the hang of things Firestorm left us to do as we wish. Both of
us continued to stay on the DSG servers for at least half a month, then we
branched out. Soon after, we noticed that we were a bit better then the average
player.

With Twister hanging out at servers such as skv,paladin, and beer gardens...
I wanted to see how it was like to actually be apart in a clan, in a group. Evidently,
[DSG] was the clan that I wanted to be apart of.. because that's where I learned
everything I know now.

After my first clan application was denied. I took it pretty rough, and I wanted to find a new server. On DSG's "friends list" on their forum, I saw a forum link to... well... here. I was curious. And I soon found out that 1up, was farely new. Kik3n, Lurch, Bio, Rotterdam, DJ_Menth, Fishy, FedoraMike, and... Ronald were some of the few people at the time. I enjoyed the servers and the people, and decided to stick around a bit.
 And hey! here I am today... 3+ years later  :P

*EDIT: I added how I found out about UrT for those who are curious.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:16:13 PM by 3k_dot »

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
  • Since: 11/11/2009
Re: How'd you find 1up?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:58:02 PM »
I didn't really enter the world of gaming until a few years ago when Tank started having me over to play with him and GoogleIt (sometimes Quake and Coffee too).  My favorite game at the time was a custom MOHAA mod made by Tank, but one night, Tank and GoogleIt showed me another game that I really liked... Urban Terror.  We only played UrT a few times that year before business stole all my time. 

Probably about a year later, Tank and GoogleIt told me "Ya know that game Urban Terror?  There's this really cool clan called 1up, and the guy who owns it is super awesome.  You should join!"  So I did.  Those early days of hangin out on the Fun Server were what got me hooked.  Of course, I was a TOTAL noob.  Those of you who think I suck now should've seen me then.  :)

I started playing on the Fun Server in November of 2009 and became a 1up member in December (IIRC).  I love it here, and I'm never gonna leave.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:34:57 PM by Maddog[1up] »

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

No nation ever taxed itself into prosperity.
-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Bizzy

• Live. love. Laugh.
  • Since: 02/10/2009
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:01:11 PM »
3k brought me in when i was pubbing out in the fun server. There met the others like flex, bio, rots and menth. Decided that they were pretty chill and there was no clan drama to begin with, so i started to take a liking.  Was about to join in before tank and googleit, but pRo decided to recruit me.
Here i am, along with 3k!

JJ!<3

Offline Flame[1up]

• *[1up] App Staff
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Life is that one thing that will never make sense.
  • Since: 19/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:09:59 PM »
:P

now its time to explain how I got here  :P and how I found Urt

well one day me and nova(my brother) got bored out of our minds,we had played all our games  :P
so we looked up a game that our friend plays, and instantly got hooked

me and nova started playing on [ROCKS]Custom Maps CTF and played it for a couple of weeks
One day me and nova wanted to do something else, so we looked down the list and found [1up] XMAS Server
it was only 3 months after XMAS and who doesnt love the 1up mushroom :P so I connected
me and nova for about a week would have 12 hour showdowns of us on the server
then I went to 1up CTF which I actually found that I was actually doing really good at (me and my love for CTF)

and here I am now :D

Offline Picard[1up]

• *[1up] Member
  • The Captain
  • Since: 15/05/2009
    • The Beer Garden
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Well I had been an admin at the Beer Garden for since 2007 and BG at the time was rather active in the UrT community as was I.

In 2009, I was in a clan called AvA for 3 or 4 months before it disbanded and I was looking at clans to join. I wasn't qualified for any competitive clans and I wanted a laid back community where I could just have a minimal roll if need be. I was looking at 1up for a good month or so and than a few friends of mine (and admins at BG) decided to join, that interested me enough to apply and get into 1up! As a side note something that made me stay with 1up during all the hard times has been this post from Ron, showing how dedicated he is to this clan, despite personal feelings;

http://www.beer-garden.org/bg2/forum/index.php/topic,2175.msg20940.html#msg20940

That post constantly reminds me why I love how this clan is run, because despite some unpopular policies they are here for good reason.

Anyways both of my friends decided to leave 1up and became inactive in UrT altogether as life got in the way but I decided to stick around and watch this clan grow. People expected me to leave for a good year after I joined because 2 of my friends left... hah, heck they probably still want me to leave :P  But I am in it for the long haul and you will have to kick me out... you *****s :P

And yes I realize this post is all over the place I am too tired to care.
Microsoft wants us to "Imagine life without walls"...
I say, "If there are no walls, who needs Windows?"

Offline Perdition[1up]

• *[1up] Member
  • Choose the spas!
  • Since: 21/11/2010
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 01:08:13 AM »
i first started playing urt 3 years ago when it was shown to me by a friend. me and him spread it to all of the library computers at my old high school and everyday after school like 20 of us would go to the library and play urt till the school closed :P. im the only one that kept playing after we all stopped.

after everyone stopped playing, i started playing at paladin. as mostly everyone knows, i hate every other gametype besides survivor, so i only played at paladins ts server. lo and behold, i was banned and ever since have been banned.

i started playing at wtFs Call of Nooby survivor server and i stayed there for two years. after two and a half years of playing this game, i decided that i was good enough to join a clan and maybe scrim a little. (wtF didnt appeal to me because they like ctf more :P) i started looking for other survivor servers to play at.

and that was when i found 1up's super ts server. awesome awesome server and ive never looked back. got to know a few of the people here and finally decided to apply here. been here ever since :)
My Steam name is Quix0tic[1up]. Let's play CS:S!

The Spas is the best weapon in the game. Hands down. No question.

Offline oK|Yahoo

• *Friend of 1up
  • Since: 02/04/2010
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:18:59 AM »
I woke up one day and was like DAM I need to do something

I than submitted my application

Offline J-Squared[1up]

• mmm Spam
  • *[1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • nom nom nom
  • Since: 24/11/2010
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 01:57:29 AM »
I bought a new computer. One with a video card and not some old integrated Intel graphics. I then proceeded to find UrT as a FPS for Linux. The first two servers I hot kicked me for being a noob (UrT was the first FPS I had played since Doom II).
Then I connected to the !up Fun Server and began playing, then SuperTS and people encouraged me to check 1up out, primarily Modoki while he was applying.
Then I was laughed at for not being able to circle jump, mainly by Perd. Sandra walked me through a lot in the late night whilel it was just us on SuperTS. Good times.

Offline AuXAuV

• "Power corrupts the best"- Mikhail Bakunin
  • Since: 16/08/2010
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 02:15:59 AM »
Back in my fuzzy memory days, my great uncle and grand father let me play quake 2.
I sucked at jumping back then, I remember trying to make a jump for a solid 10 minutes
(sad, since the jump was easy; walk forward, jump, but I was probably 7 or so at the time).
Some time after that, I got a copy of Quake 3 Arena from them (the same disk I have today),
and played that for a few years. My dad eventually said "Here's a free version of Quake",
and installed UrT(It's all his fault I waste my time on video games).

After a few months of UrT, I slowly dropped Q3A to the point that when that first computer died,
I didn't bother reinstalling. Back in those days, I mainly played on the empty servers,
CtF, TS, and when I could FTL and Bomb. I think I racked up a few hundred hours in
Paladin Warriors 4.0 alone. (Mainly because when I played on it, 4.1 had come out, so it was the only 4.0 server,
and it stayed up for a long time)

My dad woke me up one night, and let me try out 4.1, the first map I played on it was Riyadh,
and I was marvelling at the brightness, since I could actually SEE the enemies.

I took a break some time ago, dropped UrT for a few months, and came back,
and started getting good. I played mainly low number TS games, 2v2 or 3v3 environments,
and only encountered 1 aimbot over the course of 4+ years.
I dropped and picked up on my laptop recently, and started playing well, enough for me to
play casually, and still play well, and found C9's zombie, which encouraged me to learn to jump and to boot.

I heard about the 1up server, so I went there, hung around, and explored more, to the point I installed mumble and listened.
I showed up one day in a private server to test out quakes science, and listening to them made me apply.

Offline Zohan

• You do know, that I don't care?
  • Since: 28/09/2010
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 02:20:24 AM »
The first server i ever played was on the jump server witch is where I mean Killjoy aka White lynx. He was a very kind and funny guy back then. He got me more interested in this game and then i asked is 1up a clan.. He said yeah..at that moment i started to think of joining 1up..Thanks to white lynx im in a great clan!
I like cars.

Offline Panda[1up]

• HR Management
  • *[1up] HRM
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Clan Social Responsibility
  • Since: 11/10/2009
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 02:27:02 AM »
I joined either 1up ts (super was not around) or the tdm server, It was completely filled with 1ups (this was october of 09'). I asked how to join and Ron told me. 2 weeks later I was accepted into 1up. Short, sweet and still here.

(04:26:27) Severon: real funny bro alright lets go, u and me 1v1
(04:26:37) Severon ip/pw
(04:27:07) Severon: ip is go f urself, pw is i'll talk to u later cuz im bout to pass out
(04:27:30) Severon just joined... didn't see anyone. talk about a cop - out. cool story

Offline Perdition[1up]

• *[1up] Member
  • Choose the spas!
  • Since: 21/11/2010
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 03:46:15 AM »
Then I was laughed at for not being able to circle jump, mainly by Perd.

j, i do not remember this xD. as most members know, i am one of the worst jumpers in this clan, so me making fun of u for not being able to circle jump (whatever that means) is kind of farfetched haha. maybe it was someone else :P

also, ruusan, when u played at paladin, what was ur alias?
My Steam name is Quix0tic[1up]. Let's play CS:S!

The Spas is the best weapon in the game. Hands down. No question.

Offline AuXAuV

• "Power corrupts the best"- Mikhail Bakunin
  • Since: 16/08/2010
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 03:52:33 AM »
Herr I don't remember, I used to change aliases often.

Offline Satura

• Sniper addict.
  • Since: 22/10/2010
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 06:17:29 AM »
I blame Ego, thanks to him I started gaming :P In first case he was the only one gaming; my sister kinda hated games, and I was not so into games yet. Unreal Tournament '99 was one of the first 'real' games I played, after that also UT2004, and eventually UT3. I played CoD 2 for a while, and I was a decent player. One day he told me about Urban Terror. I gave it a shot, and in the beginning I sucked so bad. I really didn't enjoy fragging because I couldn't kill anyone, so I went to an Icyjumps server. I liked jumping more than fragging ;) I became better in jumping, bit by bit I began to frag.

I've been in a few clans. My first clans were jumping clans, but it was just asking if I could join, and then putting the tag on without doing anything for it... First serious clan was a low gravity clan. Then Ego joined 1up, and told me more and more about it. I started playing on the 1up servers, and I really enjoyed it there. After much doubts I left the low grav clan. It was kinda hard for me to take that decision because the people were really nice and I was a well respected member. Apparently it was very important for people to have admin powers, if there was drama, it was about admin powers. People started to leave the clan, and the server really started to get empty. I wanted something new, more and better arranged server to play on, and a nice community; that's why I joined 1up. You won't find a better community than this, in my opinion!

"It's fiction, a faceless illusion"

Offline 3k_dot

• I make sammiches.
  • Since: 30/06/2009
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »
3k brought me in when i was pubbing out in the fun server.

Now stop just a minute, you never told me that was the first time you were at the fun server! I still remember that day to... map was sanctuary we were having a conversation... And you kept pwning me.. eh.. no difference from today huh? ;)