News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: PowerMad9[1up]'s Knife Tutorial (WIP)  (Read 3738 times)

Offline PowerMaid

• Since: 06/02/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • A Games Industries
PowerMad9[1up]'s Knife Tutorial (WIP)
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:40:59 AM »
Even though I am far from being the best player in this clan, I know a fair share about knife combat in game. So, I create this tutorial on how to use my all-time favorite weapon in Urban Terror, the Knife.

(NOTE: This is still a Work In Progress. I will post videos soon.)

(NOTE II: This is a tutorial for knifing in the real game. For Zombie tactics, please refer to Ruusan's Ultimate Zombie Survival Guide located here.)

~~~~ How to Use the Knife In Battle ~~~~

First, we will begin with the weapon stats. This is how much damage the Knife does in each part of the body.

Legs: 20%
Arms: 20%
Kevlar: 35%
Torso: 44%
Helmet: 60%
Head: 100%

As you can see, it's best to make a quick slash in an unprotected head for a one-hit kill. However, this is done most easily when you're not in battle. You'll see what I mean as I continue.

Now, we go on to tactics. Note that these may take you a few (hundred) deaths to perfect these, because you're getting up-close and personal with enemy bullets.

1: Ending the Misery
This involves wounding an enemy with your primary auto, then finishing them off with your knife for a humiliating brushoff.

Example: You're running through Austria with an LR300. You see an enemy come at you and you are both in the tunnel. He shoots at you, and you dodge as much as you can, in turn firing back at him. When he's out of ammo, he's going to try and run for it while reloading or switching his weapon. When he's in a corner, ready your knife and quickly finish him.

Tips:
- If you run out of ammo, don't bother reloading, and hide yourself, preparing your knife.
- If you are close enough, try to slice them quickly. Experience will tell you how close is close enough.
- If you think you're too far or if there are other enemies around, avoid pinpointing the one enemy with a knife or risk dying to multiple enemy bullets.

2: No More Camping Trip
This one requires stealth and a little bit of luck, definitely to be used in a certain circumstance. With this tactic, you quickly finish someone who has found a very nice camping spot. The trick: don't let him know what you're doing before it's too late.

Example: You're on the 1up Xmas Map, on the Blue Team. Using the teleporter ring, you reach the top of the stairs, where a Red sniper is camping. You don't want him to know you're with him, and lucky, lucky: He's not wearing a helmet. What do you do? Of course! Whip your knife out and turn his head into salami.

Tips:
- Sometimes the camper will move a little bit. Try to stay as far away as you can, yet close enough to lunge for the kill.
- If the camper knows you're there, it's usually too late for them unless they turn around for a lucky noscope. Knife them quickly.
- Once you've gone in for the kill, get out of there. A persistant camper will return for revenge.

3: Look Ma, No Guns!
This one is very tricky, and requires some practice. What you do here is pinpoint an enemy and go after them. What's so tricky about that? Using only your knife. Sound confusing? Just read on.

Example: You find an enemy among a few others, who are oblivious to your presense. Quietly and slowly (but quickly) sneak past them and slice the main one, and escape, whipping out your auto, just in case.

Tips:
- The other enemies are almost never oblivious to you. Slice them up then take out your primary auto to finish the other, who is probably now aware of you.
-If you don't think you can kill anyone, don't attempt it.
-Careful of large groups of enemies. Be very quick in these circumstances.

4: Fakeout
This one is rewarding. You charge in with an auto and dodge through with the knife.

Example: You're in Grenadier. You come up from the bottom center of the map with an auto and you see an enemy charging towards you. Dodge around him and stab him in the back, literally.

Tips:
- If you're face-to-face about 5 steps away from eachother, swerve and dodge to get behind and slay the enemy.
- If the enemy is able to turn quickly to meet you (which is rare), you are basically in trouble. In this situation, take out the nearest weapon and bust lead.
- Once you've gone in for the kill, get out of there and hide, prepare yourself, and try it again.

This concludes my tutorial. Basic, but meaningful. Remember that not everyone likes to use the knife as another weapon, and act as if it's not even there. Take advantage of this and show them how wrong they really are.

Have fun with your knife.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:46:43 AM by Zangetsu[1up] »

Offline Perdition[1up]

• *[1up] Member
  • Choose the spas!
  • Since: 21/11/2010
Re: PowerMad9[1up]'s Knife Tutorial (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »
thanks powermad, i always wondered what the damage percentages were. do u think u could give a tutorial on booting? i really cant get the hang of that...
My Steam name is Quix0tic[1up]. Let's play CS:S!

The Spas is the best weapon in the game. Hands down. No question.

Offline FraggerMac

• Look Behind You.
  • Since: 17/04/2010
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 02:13:10 AM »
Quick question on knifing on the Public Super Mod server - how do you get the rapid knife? I was told either the scroll wheel or a script but the scroll wheel doesn't work for me.
This signature is blank.  There is nothing to see.  So there.

Offline PowerMaid

• Since: 06/02/2010
    • A Games Industries
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:56:51 AM »
Quick question on knifing on the Public Super Mod server - how do you get the rapid knife? I was told either the scroll wheel or a script but the scroll wheel doesn't work for me.

Yeah, it's scroll wheel. More info on that can be found in Ruusan's Ultimate Zombie Survival Guide. There's a link at the top of my tutorial.

Offline FraggerMac

• Look Behind You.
  • Since: 17/04/2010
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:53:55 AM »
Sweet, I experimented with it a bit and I ended up using the scroll wheel (it works properly with the script).

One question though: on the SR8 fast reload, is it possible to bind it to only perform the fast reload script when the SR8 is active, sort of a "bind mouse1 ... if current_weapon==sr8" or something like that? I tried binding it to shift but it doesn't work very well... it's just not as natural as the normal click.
This signature is blank.  There is nothing to see.  So there.

Offline AuXAuV

• "Power corrupts the best"- Mikhail Bakunin
  • Since: 16/08/2010
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 01:02:55 AM »
UrT scripting is not a full 'language', it's more like grunts.

No, you can't.

Offline compyHaX

• Since: 29/03/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 01:22:18 PM »
Definetely a good tutorial.  I love scaring the crap out of a camper or an oblivious enemy by smiting them down with a humiliating knife strike.  I will be using the tips you listed in the future for sure.