News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: God Vs. Something Else  (Read 18292 times)

Offline Gemma

• The devil isn't red.
  • Since: 21/07/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: God Vs. Something Else
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2010, 08:41:54 PM »
Ok, so i got pretty much shredded up there. Lol i need more facts on this subject to really make a good opinion since im a little ignorant, dont i? Haha ok, im fine with that  :P

Read what pyrite said.  Its a lot more accurate than what I posted.

Offline Gemma

• The devil isn't red.
« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2010, 08:51:24 PM »
Also, pyrite, anyone ever tell you you're too smart for your own good?
Still, we can agree to disagree on the 'normal' people thing. . .  Just as one shouldn't try to understand the writings of
Nietzsche without either understanding it in its original German, or with the aid of a 'not-normal' person such as yourself. i.e. take an entire class dedicated to one single publication. . .   At any rate, I couldn't possibly care any less about this voodoo.. I shouldn't have said anything at all.  At least I learned something new today though! *dusts feathers*

Offline Gemma

• The devil isn't red.
« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2010, 09:00:03 PM »
Ok, so i got pretty much shredded up there. Lol i need more facts on this subject to really make a good opinion since im a little ignorant, dont i? Haha ok, im fine with that  :P

Don't worry about it, this thread is kinda a dead-horse anyways.  I'm still dusting my feathers from pyrite's onslaught..

Offline Casper

• Can't shoot what you cant see :D
  • Since: 23/04/2010
« Reply #168 on: October 18, 2010, 09:36:34 PM »
The thought I've always had is that it should be easier to believe in god. I'm a good person: I don't cheat, steal, hurt people, and I even try to hold back on things like sex. (for personal reasons, none religious) I am just the type of person that always needs to see proof of something. It's how I've always been. I've just always been annoyed, even offended at times, by people that day I'll burn in hell because of that. They seem to always look down on me because I can't follow something I don't believe. I've been raised Christian, and several times, prayed for help during difficult times. It was when I was younger, and hadn't really thought for myself very much. Things never got better. I had to work and work to make things even slightly better. I completely respect all religions that encourage courtesy and kindness, they are a great thing to be a part of. However, this respect is partly keeping me away from church. I'd feel guilty, in a way.

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
  • Since: 11/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #169 on: October 18, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »
Pyrite, you nailed the whole authenticity of the bible issue.  Its incredible really how exactly the newer manuscripts match the originals.  Its also very reassuring to me that most of the current versions of the bible are translated from the original manuscripts, rather than from eachother.  What other book (whether purely religious or historical) can you say that about?

This is an issue that everyone has to research for themselves.  No matter what you believe, there are some undeniable truths (like the accuracy of the bible) that have to be taken into account.  But at the end of the day, its up to each of us to decide whether such truths inspire us to the hope of something more, or merely a respect of its historical significance.

To Casper, I appreciate your struggles with this issue.  I will tell you that from my own Christian faith and my extensive exploration of both the Bible AND the scientific, at this point in my life, it would actually take more faith for me to discredit God, Creation, Christianity, Christ, and all things spiritual than it does for me to affirm it.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

No nation ever taxed itself into prosperity.
-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Casper

« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2010, 09:28:50 PM »
Does anyone believe in fate here? I just firmly established my ideas on it, if anyone is interested. It's not a total mind**** or anything, it's just sort of a neat thought.

Offline Gemma

• The devil isn't red.
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »
Does anyone believe in fate here? I just firmly established my ideas on it, if anyone is interested. It's not a total mind**** or anything, it's just sort of a neat thought.

Never set your ideas in stone.  Its too hard to break when needed.

Offline Casper

« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2010, 07:23:37 AM »

Never set your ideas in stone.  Its too hard to break when needed.
Well, ive got a jackhammer :P
as long as there is a reason to disregard my beliefs, i have no problem doing it. plus, this isnt aything that will change anytime soon, unless they make some odd discoveries in quantum physics

Offline Casper

« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2010, 07:37:47 AM »
here's exactly how it was I'm my journal thingamajig:

Edit: sorry for the odd spacing, It wouldn't post right.

Randomness
There is no such thing as randomness, or even probability in the sense of a
chance of something happening. Randomness is an idea we created to simulate
or predict possibilities easier. Under the same conditions, results will always
repeat themselves. Only a change in conditions will change results, sometimes
even by adding a single molecule. Even on computers, randomness is faked.
In all computer generated random numbers, they decide the number based on
a number somewhere else, normally the date and time. This means everything
is already predetermined. Not planned by a deity of some sort, but by the
conditions of the universe. While we do have a choice in what we do, the chemicals
and charges in our brain are making us make that decision. As far from "scientific"
as the idea of fate and predetermined actions are, they are true, based purely on science.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:06:15 AM by Casper »

Offline Gemma

• The devil isn't red.
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2010, 10:22:54 AM »
Okay.

Offline Casper

« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »
What a well thought out, articulated, and intriguing response :D

Offline Poe

• *Friend of 1up
  • AKA: SnKPoe
  • Since: 25/10/2009
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2010, 03:45:32 PM »
The thought I've always had is that it should be easier to believe in god. I'm a good person: I don't cheat, steal, hurt people, and I even try to hold back on things like sex. (for personal reasons, none religious) I am just the type of person that always needs to see proof of something. It's how I've always been. I've just always been annoyed, even offended at times, by people that day I'll burn in hell because of that. They seem to always look down on me because I can't follow something I don't believe. I've been raised Christian, and several times, prayed for help during difficult times. It was when I was younger, and hadn't really thought for myself very much. Things never got better. I had to work and work to make things even slightly better. I completely respect all religions that encourage courtesy and kindness, they are a great thing to be a part of. However, this respect is partly keeping me away from church. I'd feel guilty, in a way.

I see we're very similar! Raised Christian, difficult times, staying away from church now, need proof.
When it comes to the Christian faith there can be NO proof. I don't think anyone will ever be able to definitely say that there "is" or there "is not" a God. At the end there are still questions.
I'm more of a science person (Chemistry, the medical field, physics) but I do believe in God. Not because of any proof of existence but more because their is no proof.
One of the main parts of Christianity is faith. In the Bible it says, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." If anyone finds a way to prove God I will stop believing. At least, scientifically and logically. Part of God is believing when you shouldn't.
So, I don't look for proof. There isn't any. There can't be for "faith" to make sense.
I just look at the "coincidence's" and "miracles"  of life. And love. The greatest love and joy I've ever felt in my life (including my many drug trips during high school :P) have all been at church retreats. Some may say it's brain washing but I've also felt that alone, in my closet, praying. Placebo effect, insanity, denial of the truth? I don't think so.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 03:48:21 PM by SnKPoe[1up] »

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
  • Since: 25/11/2009
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2010, 04:33:34 PM »
Poe's wacky views are her own and not necessarily those of any other SnK. Thank you.
“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”

Offline Poe

• *Friend of 1up
  • AKA: SnKPoe
  • Since: 25/10/2009
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2010, 10:15:02 PM »
Poe's wacky views are her own and not necessarily those of any other SnK. Thank you.

Haha. Hence, me saying "I" and not "We SnK's".

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
  • Since: 25/11/2009
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2010, 12:53:20 PM »
I see intelligent design. It is very complex and sustains itself. Think about how long it would take to as a human (Intelligent) vs (Nothing) to start from scratch, and draw out the plans for this world, every living and non living thing... You don't write dog on the piece of paper, you start with matter, atoms etc, then on to genetic code.. And you do it for every living thing on this planet... You plan out reproduction and how its going to work.. Every law, and create that law...

We still don't understand jack **** about the universe, Or earth for that matter, or the human brain. Its going to take a long time, Using alot of intelligence and resources nothing didnt have at its disposal, to figure it out.

For me.. it would take a trillion years and alot of beta testing to get it right.. And im to believe it happened without intelligence and in a given time frame "they" constantly add on to when they realize it can't work
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:26:06 PM by SNKQuaKe[1up] »
“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”