News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: God Vs. Something Else  (Read 18261 times)

Offline SlimPickins

• Since: 10/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: God Vs. Something Else
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2010, 02:53:36 AM »
I believe that whatever you believe is the right thing to believe in. A major problem with organized religion is that the followers feel the need to justify their beliefs by convincing others that it's the right thing to believe. It's like they can't feel sure of themselves for their beliefs unless everyone else believes in the same things. I give the same answer to people who ask about what the best Linux distro is (I know it sounds dumb, but it's totally the same thing): Pick the one that's right for YOU. It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks. Once you can bring yourself to do this and truly believe in what you believe in regardless of what other believe in... well, then I *believe* you'll be fine...

- Pickins

"As far as I'm concerned, you could be a rainbow-coloured pie-sexual unicorn for all I care, if you're cool to play with then it's all good 8)" - KD197

Offline ojacker

• Since: 10/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2010, 08:11:01 PM »
I am a unique christian. I do lead bible studies and love to read my bible, but I believe that the fact that u believe in somthing more (be it God, or any other) helps u withstand the tough times. I do not press my beliefs on to others and I believe that the devision of the church is wrong because, as christians, how can we function togeather if we are all devided and fighting over what is right and what is wrong. respecting others should be top priority. I have argued beliefs with a scientologist for hours but afterward being able to honestly say, I respect what you believe in and love you the same as anyone else. so in that sence, I guess I am a christian who believes in RESPECT and freedom of choice. as allways... peace (-<)

Offline novabunny

• it's the bunny dance!!!! :D
  • Since: 19/03/2010
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2010, 12:28:25 AM »
 :o :o :o :o ??? ??? ???ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh i got a headache i'm only 11 :'( ahhhh big headache.......it hurts
A man is free at the moment he wishes to be

-Voltaire
---------------------------------------------------------------

I am novabunny, pwner of rondonboy,
destroyer of worlds,
and lover of bunnies

Offline ZakBain

• More useless posts from ZaKBaiN
  • Since: 08/03/2009

Offline Biohazard

• Hazardous Productions In The Making
  • Lies Feed the Demons, Love Feeds the Angels.
  • Since: 18/03/2009
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2010, 04:31:46 PM »
Seriously Zak? I haven't seen you around in ages, but I was wondering where you ran off to just a few days ago.
You pray for less idiots, but you get more.
You pray for love, you get hate.
You pray for power, you get shot.

Biohazard: C. Moore
RenaRyuuguu: See more what?
Biohazard: C. Moore Hax

Offline ZakBain

• More useless posts from ZaKBaiN
  • Since: 08/03/2009
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2010, 09:24:56 PM »
Seriously Zak? I haven't seen you around in ages, but I was wondering where you ran off to just a few days ago.

Well, my interest in gaming has gone from overwhelming to almost none; I've shown up in the forums every now and then. Never really had anything worth saying.
Also, is the serious referring to my absence or my previous post?

Offline Biohazard

• Hazardous Productions In The Making
  • Lies Feed the Demons, Love Feeds the Angels.
  • Since: 18/03/2009
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2010, 09:48:36 PM »
Ahhh, your absence, sorry Zak. I know what you mean though. A break from gaming is nice :)
You pray for less idiots, but you get more.
You pray for love, you get hate.
You pray for power, you get shot.

Biohazard: C. Moore
RenaRyuuguu: See more what?
Biohazard: C. Moore Hax

Offline Casper

• Can't shoot what you cant see :D
  • Since: 23/04/2010
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2010, 07:18:44 AM »
So first of all, i need to say this. please, nobody get angry or offensive in how they present their views. Dont try to make anyone mad, because you will just look like a jerk. Ive always been interested in this kind of thing, and what people believe, I personally believe in existiential nihilism, the belief that we are just another anomaly in the universe, and that human life is meaningless. However, most people believe different things. Post your views or arguments, because im very curious in what all of you believe  :D

Remember, i dont want this topic closed down. BE POLITE!!!! lol
I BELIEVE ALIENS CREEATED OUR GALAXY AS A TEST SUBJECT
You know, that's 100% possible. From the viewpoint of seeing science as ruling the galaxy, it's more likely than an omniscient being creating the universe. Although it probably wouldn't be our galaxy, maybe just terraformed our planet or just put basic life on it

Offline BourBon

• *Friend of 1up
  • Since: 17/12/2009
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2010, 10:53:17 PM »
I think it takes more faith to not believe in a greater being simply because if you believe in science you believe in multiple unknown possibilities, believe in a greater being there's only one unknown possibility.  : \ 

Offline Casper

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »
I think it takes more faith to not believe in a greater being simply because if you believe in science you believe in multiple unknown possibilities, believe in a greater being there's only one unknown possibility.  : \
Everything takes faith. Knowing the sun will come up the next morning takes faith. I've always seen science as taking less faith, because we see proof of it everyday. And no matter what the subject, there will always be unknown possibilities. Even in Christianity: do you know what heaven is like? Do you know if god is going to forgive the sins you've made? A lot of these unknowns don't make too big of a difference to the big picture, but it's the same way with science. And btw, you gotta add Boobs to your nickname list ;p

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
  • Since: 11/11/2009
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2010, 11:53:54 PM »
Everything takes faith. Knowing the sun will come up the next morning takes faith. I've always seen science as taking less faith, because we see proof of it everyday. And no matter what the subject, there will always be unknown possibilities. Even in Christianity: do you know what heaven is like? Do you know if god is going to forgive the sins you've made? A lot of these unknowns don't make too big of a difference to the big picture, but it's the same way with science. And btw, you gotta add Boobs to your nickname list ;p

Its not a matter of science vs Christianity.  Its a matter of Macro-Evolution vs Creation.  MAINSTREAM science is in disagreement with Creation.  But think about it.  What bourbon was trying to say is that with Creation, I only have to believe in one thing that doesn't make sense.  With Darwin's Theory of Evolution, there are literally thousands of things that don't make sense.  Charles Darwin even turned away from the Macro-Evolution theory after realizing this.  Why are none of these thousands of things discussed?  Because for the last 30 years or so, there has been a coordinated push to unify the teaching information in such a way that God is completely left out of the picture.  If you look at this from the outside with zero bias, it pretty obvious.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

No nation ever taxed itself into prosperity.
-Rush Limbaugh

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
  • Since: 25/11/2009
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2010, 12:53:17 AM »
I think everyone knows there is a God, Because its evident in the order of the universe and the need was put in us when we were created.. Why a person chooses to ignore the truth.. Well.. I have a few good theories.
“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
  • Since: 11/11/2009
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2010, 01:39:10 AM »
I think everyone knows there is a God, Because its evident in the order of the universe and the need was put in us when we were created.. Why a person chooses to ignore the truth.. Well.. I have a few good theories.

I agree.  Everything works too well for this to all be from chance.  I think that's becoming more and more clear to people as time goes on.  Hell, even on the Discovery Channel when they're doing a "strange animal" show, the narrator often describes a certain unique characteristic of a creature as having been "designed" to do something specific.  Though the Discover Channel propagates the Macro-Evolution theory, sometimes outside design is so obvious to the subconscious that the writers make a faux pas.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 02:17:00 AM by SnKMaddog[1up] »

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

No nation ever taxed itself into prosperity.
-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Casper

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2010, 12:19:15 PM »

Its not a matter of science vs Christianity.  Its a matter of Macro-Evolution vs Creation.  MAINSTREAM science is in disagreement with Creation.  But think about it.  What bourbon was trying to say is that with Creation, I only have to believe in one thing that doesn't make sense.  With Darwin's Theory of Evolution, there are literally thousands of things that don't make sense.  Charles Darwin even turned away from the Macro-Evolution theory after realizing this.  Why are none of these thousands of things discussed?  Because for the last 30 years or so, there has been a coordinated push to unify the teaching information in such a way that God is completely left out of the picture.  If you look at this from the outside with zero bias, it pretty obvious.
Ive actually looked up a lot of these issues with evolution, and while a lot dont make sense, a lot are also explainable. And as for intelligent design, that is explained by evolution. one issue with evolution was always that the whole organ didnt develop at once, because it was a lot of advanced parts working together. but, look at the sense of hearing. It most likely started as just a highly sensitive part on the body, just a few extra nerves bundled together. and over time, it went from just feeling vibrations (probably in the water) to being a seperate, distinguished sense. organs with simple uses can evolve to do much more complex things than their original intent. And also, everybody subconsciously thinks of there being a god. but i dont stop saying "oh my god" just because i dont believe there is a god. The narrator said it was designed for something, because its easier to say.Its not like hes going to say "this part evolved over millions of years to..." because it takes longer. haha

Offline Zangetsu

• With me, all things end.
  • Since: 29/08/2010
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2010, 02:06:39 AM »
Personally I don't believe in God. I don't believe he doesn't exist either. I'm pretty agnostic about religion, if he's there then he's there. If not, oh well. I would rather live MY life doing good because it makes ME feel good. Not because some book written over a thousand years ago in a language that is pretty much lost in time says I should do so.

I also wrote a big long thing down here but decided not to pst it. I reread it and it seemed like a bunch of flame so I'll just leave my post at this.
"I want to know which of us is stronger. I'll gladly raise my blade against you if that's what it takes to find that out."

"Cast off your fear! Look forward! Go forward! Never stand still. Retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die."

"Do you want to win? Or do you want to live? Which will it be? ... There's no meaning to just fighting."