News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Thoughts/Advice on Jayce  (Read 2543 times)

Offline King Whistle[1up]

• *[1up] Server Referee
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • Whistle always wins!
  • Since: 17/04/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
Thoughts/Advice on Jayce
« on: September 10, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
So I have been working a lot lately on Jayce solo top lane. And while Jayce has tons of potential and can be a super fun and dominating champ what I have found is that unless he gets fed a few kills really early in game he just takes too long to get rolling. A few games my jungle has come up early and gotten me 2 or 3 kills before the 10 min mark and when I get a few major items going early Jayce becomes a murder machine. But if left just to lane by myself it just takes too long and too much gold before I am putting out any real damage and by then my opponent, usually a Tryndamere or something, has blown by me in damage output and I am mostly useless until team fights and even then not a game changer. Obviously not every game is going to snowball but I feel as if I am doing something wrong. I doubt it is either a carry or a fail match every time Jayce is used. So anyone here have a lot of experience with jayce that could offer me some advice or are my experiences pretty typical?

Offline G|Man[1up]

• I want to sleep.
  • *[1up] Member
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • Since: 19/05/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • 1up Clan Forums
    • Youtube's channel
Re: Thoughts/Advice on Jayce
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »
Your experiences are typical for the most part.

The way I have built Jayce is just like an ADC. It's nothing different, only he has the capabilities to buy the Ravenous Hydra and the Runaan's Hurricane, and still be available for the passives. Jayce is a good top laner, just build him with a lot of health, and damage. Then, like you said, he becomes a "Murder Machine".

-Warmog's Armor
-Blood Thirster
-Runaan's Hurricane
-Bezerker's Greaves
-Ravenous Hydra
- *Late Game Item depending on game play*

Just some notes I have gathered from playing Jayce. If you need to know more, ask some more specific questions!

Offline Cell[1up]

• *[1up] Server Referee
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • Tea is SO the best drink!
  • Since: 18/04/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
I for one suck at jayce and i play top lane. I have never really understood his damage output or how he works. But i have seen him do quite well. I think its sort of a combo you have to use. some people you use a certain combo to get the  best trade. and others you use a different combo. i realize that this implies to most champions, but thats all i can give advice about. other than expeirement. do a combo and see who wins the trade. if you lose. use a pot and try another way.

Offline Panda[1up]

• HR Management
  • *[1up] HRM
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Clan Social Responsibility
  • Since: 11/10/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
They nerfed him a lot, he's still good, but situational. If you're looking for good top lane champs to start trying out I would look into kennen/vlad. Both very very very strong.

I for one suck at jayce and i play top lane. I have never really understood his damage output or how he works. But i have seen him do quite well. I think its sort of a combo you have to use. some people you use a certain combo to get the  best trade. and others you use a different combo. i realize that this implies to most champions, but thats all i can give advice about. other than expeirement. do a combo and see who wins the trade. if you lose. use a pot and try another way.

His damage output is poke. You use your gate and shockblast to poke the target down, then switch to melee form and go all in to finish off the kill. If you go all in first, you will get instagibbed or killed or pushed out of the fight every time.

The way I have built Jayce is just like an ADC. It's nothing different, only he has the capabilities to buy the Ravenous Hydra and the Runaan's Hurricane, and still be available for the passives. Jayce is a good top laner, just build him with a lot of health, and damage. Then, like you said, he becomes a "Murder Machine".

-Warmog's Armor
-Blood Thirster
-Runaan's Hurricane
-Bezerker's Greaves
-Ravenous Hydra

Just some notes I have gathered from playing Jayce. If you need to know more, ask some more specific questions!

There is no point in ravenous hydra as he is not melee form for the most part. Warmogs isn't really viable either, although situational. He is an ad burst caster meaning greaves isn't really worthhwhile. Once again he is a burst caster so hurricane isn't really used to full potential.

A typical Jayce build involves
-blood thirster
-black cleaver
-last whisper
-guardian angel
-tabi/merc
-Infinity edge if you're extremely fed
-Frozen mallet if you need hp/situational
-Triforce if you're fed
-2nd blood thirster
etc
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:52:30 PM by Panda[1up] »

(04:26:27) Severon: real funny bro alright lets go, u and me 1v1
(04:26:37) Severon ip/pw
(04:27:07) Severon: ip is go f urself, pw is i'll talk to u later cuz im bout to pass out
(04:27:30) Severon just joined... didn't see anyone. talk about a cop - out. cool story

Offline Cell[1up]

• *[1up] Server Referee
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:30:28 PM »
They nerfed him a lot, he's still good, but situational. If you're looking for good top lane champs to start trying out I would look into kennen/vlad. Both very very very strong.

Yeah i would say a black cleaver. Not sure who but someone i played with the first time i was jayce told me to rush it and i did and it seemed to do well.

His damage output is poke. You use your gate and shockblast to poke the target down, then switch to melee form and go all in to finish off the kill. If you go all in first, you will get instagibbed or killed or pushed out of the fight every time.

-Warmog's Armor
-Blood Thirster
-Runaan's Hurricane
-Bezerker's Greaves
-Ravenous Hydra

There is no point in ravenous hydra as he is not melee form for the most part. Warmogs isn't really viable either, although situational. He is an ad burst caster meaning greaves isn't really worthhwhile. Once again he is a burst caster so hurricane isn't really used to full potential.

A typical Jayce build involves
-blood thirster
-black cleaver
-last whisper
-guardian angel
-tabi/merc
-Infinity edge if you're extremely fed
-Frozen mallet if you need hp/situational
-Triforce if you're fed
-2nd blood thirster
etc

• *[1up] Server Referee
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • Whistle always wins!
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:19:39 PM »
I have spent most of my time doing adc bot lane but I trying to become more experienced in the top lane in general. Jayce is a lot of fun but I am open to other champs. I have tried Malphite a few times with mixed results. A champ I am really interested in at the moment is Zed. But I actually see him mid or jungle more than top.

Offline G|Man[1up]

• I want to sleep.
  • *[1up] Member
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • Since: 19/05/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • 1up Clan Forums
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 07:45:21 PM »
I have spent most of my time doing adc bot lane but I trying to become more experienced in the top lane in general. Jayce is a lot of fun but I am open to other champs. I have tried Malphite a few times with mixed results. A champ I am really interested in at the moment is Zed. But I actually see him mid or jungle more than top.

That's the thing, Whistle, Jayce is not a bot lane champion. Jayce is really a top lane champion. He's kinda like Aatrox because of the DPS outlet, but also relies on life steal. So... don't play Jayce bot, it's just a waste of time. (Just sayin')

Offline Cell[1up]

• *[1up] Server Referee
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
If your looking for a good top i would recommend jax. his top counters are malphite and singed but malphite is almost always banned and i have beat singed every single time. just build more ap than ad. And do small combos like q e then he will run to make you run into his poisen but just back off. you have won the exchange. if he flips you use your w and stay ahead of him.

• *[1up] Server Referee
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • Whistle always wins!
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »
Haha I meant before I started working Jayce top lane my usual position was to go bot lane and do adc. My most common are Tristana, Ezreal, and Lucian. I have only ever played Jayce top lane.

• *[1up] Server Referee
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • Whistle always wins!
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:35 PM »
If your looking for a good top i would recommend jax. his top counters are malphite and singed but malphite is almost always banned and i have beat singed every single time. just build more ap than ad.
Jax is one of my favorites for sure. I have played him a lot in ranked but the problem I keep encountering is getting countered by top champs with a larger attack range.

Offline Cell[1up]

• *[1up] Server Referee
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 10:30:26 PM »
If your looking for a good top i would recommend jax. his top counters are malphite and singed but malphite is almost always banned and i have beat singed every single time. just build more ap than ad.
Jax is one of my favorites for sure. I have played him a lot in ranked but the problem I keep encountering is getting countered by top champs with a larger attack range.

As in long range ad champs? he beats out most ad users pretty hard because of his w. As far as against ap users i have have a problem with any so far.
Just played a game versus malphite and dident have much of a problem with him either and hes the top counter. once again i recommend jax top lane. A really good pick.
Heres the jax game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU-hGxsk__I&feature=youtu.be