News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: ut4_uc2_b1 "Urban Combat 2" by neeko  (Read 1148 times)

Offline neeko

• Got slack?
  • Since: 29/01/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
ut4_uc2_b1 "Urban Combat 2" by neeko
« on: February 04, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »
Hello guys! Don't shoot!

I made(sort-of-finished, at least enough to test it) this map last December.

It's inspired by a True Combat 0.45 map called "Close Combat 2" that was one of my favorites. I started it shortly after I started playing UrT and I was still learning the ways that UrT is different from TC. I made it on the larger side because UrT stamina seemed endless compared to TC and I wanted to try and slow people down. Now I know better but the map is still a lot of fun.

I didn't put a ton of polish on it because I intended it to get some 'beta testing' play on my clan's server... which shutdown about the time I was ready for testing. Hence the "_b1" (build 1). I would love some feedback. The feedback I got from the short time it was up for play on my server (now defunct) was favorable.

I hope it's ok that I attached it here, it's only ~<6MB. I don't have hosting at the moment. If I can get some constructive feedback and people show some interest I'd be happy to revisit this map or even start it over with a more UrT-mindset.

Of course I'm just a guy with yet another map. Thanks for taking a look.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:01:54 AM by neeko »
Who needs karma when you've got slack?

Ostricide

Re: ut4_uc2_b1 "Urban Combat 2" by neeko
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
been looking over your map neeko... i seem to be missing some of the textures you used.  mostly on the ground and a few buildings. 

Lots of doors, lots of snipin' spots, oh!  I LOVE the glass roof... great detail work.  wish I knew how you got all your box textures to line up so nice too. :P

i know only original textures n such can be redistributed in your pk3, i suppose i could use radiant to find the names of the missing ones.

anyway, cool map... i can see that you have spent a fair amount of time on the detail.  so when do we play?

Offline neeko

• Got slack?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:51:29 PM »
Are you using the latest UrT? I'd guess so but I've heard about missing textures if you aren't. I did a really poor job of art asset management :D I just picked willy-nilly from everything that got loaded into radiant and man what a pain that was to pack. On the map I'm working on right now I cleaned up shaderlist.txt before I started and I've kept track of where everything is coming from.

Man.. thanks for noticing the glass roof. I love that thing. It's a lot of fun from a gameplay point of view too. I learned a lot about clipping brushes and keeping things lined up on the grid, etc etc. doing that.

I used to run it on my server when I had one. Boooo it sucks not having my own anymore, otherwise I'd offer it up for you to test your map on and we could try 'em out :D

Offline neeko

• Got slack?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 03:34:38 AM »
Doh... I was happy someone gave me some feedback and I forgot to ask, what DON'T you like about it? What problems did you see? I won't be offended. I know it has a lot of deficiencies and the easiest way for me to get better is thoughtful critique.

Could you share a/some problems, concerns, criticism?

Ostricide

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »
I think the best thing about the map is the details.  When I throw a few bots in the play is fun and I find a lot of unexplored territory between fire fights.  its hard to know with just bots how its gonna play out.  also the default texture seems to throw off light and mess up how things look which effects how things play.  I would really like to see it played by humans. 

you also mentioned the water effect you put in.  at first I though the upper layer of water was too thick, but then I got to lookin around and it actually looks appopriate.  Assuming the waterfall look is what you were going for.  the tunnel is cool and the water noises give away your position.  I like it.  ( I am going to make the water deeper on dogleg :) )

overall it is flat but has enough features to keep it from being blah.  like I said, it would be best played by humans.