News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Comp Help!  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Bizzy

• Live. love. Laugh.
  • Since: 02/10/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Comp Help!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 07:09:49 PM »
Here's My Temps

[attachment no longer available]

JJ!<3

Offline Gemma

• The devil isn't red.
  • Since: 21/07/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »
I think its your psu fan.  Thats a ridiculously high temp for a psu.  Pyrite? Comment?

Offline Pyrite[1up]

• *[1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • Since: 08/11/2009
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 10:13:57 PM »
Try compressed air into the air vents, if it still makes noise, you can actually try putting a drop of machine oil into the ball bearings by usually peeling off the sticker on the top side of the fan (tried and tested for me). I've worked on a few Mac laptops, they have the same hardware as PC's, so don't worry if you have to replace the fan(s), I'm sure you can find them on ebay.

This works, I can confirm it.  I would not use machine oil though.  It will get gummy and tends to attract dust.  Use a very light synthetic.  The very best money can buy is actually brass instrument valve oil.  It will not attract dust, and will last a very very long time.  You can generally get it at any music shop, and its cheap.

I meant to say Sewing Machine Oil. This has worked for me in the past to eliminate noisy fans in laptops.
•·.· ́ ̄`·.·•"Most Likely to Pillage the Global Village"•·.· ́ ̄`·.·•

Offline FedoraMike

• Since: 27/04/2009
    • My Webpage/Portfolio - Under Construction
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 10:46:54 PM »
I think its your psu fan.  Thats a ridiculously high temp for a psu.  Pyrite? Comment?

Not sure about the PSU, ~70C seems pretty hot though.

I'm going to assume he's listing his temps in Fahrenheit otherwise everything should be fried by now at that temp.  117F ~ 47C which isn't bad but would be a little high for idle temp.  Not enough to be concerned with, it's the full load temp that could be an issue.

EDIT: after taking another look, with an ambient temp of 81F that CPU temperature isn't all that high for idle assuming he isn't running some sort of "Cool'N'Quiet" type of optimization.  If my room temp is in the upper 70s and I turn off Cool'N'Quiet my CPU idles around 44C with an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro.  The real test would be to run something like prime95 or similar to load the cpu and then monitor the temps under load.  If its the fan it may just be struggling when the cpu is loaded.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:57:35 PM by FedoraMike »

Offline Tesla[1up]

• *Administrative Leave
  • [1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Since: 07/07/2009
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 06:26:34 AM »
I am not sure if you have resolved this issue or not, but I just wanted to say that if you do discover that the problem lies in your PSU's fan then I would HIGHLY recommend just buying a new PSU instead of servicing the unit yourself. A PSU can still kill you even if it is not connected to anything or has been off for along time so just buy a new one and save yourself the trouble.

Tesla[1up]
"May I suggest the footing of your ass" Red Forman

marvsta

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 12:32:52 PM »
I am not sure if you have resolved this issue or not, but I just wanted to say that if you do discover that the problem lies in your PSU's fan then I would HIGHLY recommend just buying a new PSU instead of servicing the unit yourself. A PSU can still kill you even if it is not connected to anything or has been off for along time so just buy a new one and save yourself the trouble.

Tesla[1up]
thats a nice way to put it
yer dude ur comp will die if you keep straining it with no fan