News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Comp Help!  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Bizzy

• Live. love. Laugh.
  • Since: 02/10/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Comp Help!
« on: November 20, 2010, 02:58:11 PM »
I've been playing on a Mac since '08, and its been running fine until now
Lately i've been getting a high-pitched whine whenever i run an application, and when the pitch goes higher, my computer goes unresponsive
I've reset the SMU on my comp, killed application processes in utlities, but i cannot  get that whine to stop.

JJ!<3

marvsta

Re: Comp Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 04:46:31 PM »
dude try a safe boot by holding shift on startup
or
try command p r
if this does not work ring up applecare they may give u solution
have u dropped ur laptop since u bought it?

Offline KD197

• Since: 20/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 08:12:23 PM »
Perhaps the CPU fan is failing if its performance related. If running apps increases load enough to induce a temperature rise the fan may spin up more; if the bearings are breaking down it may not be spinning fast enough to sufficiently cool the CPU, thus causing a lock up.

Not-so-1337-hax0rz: awsdgiaygveiujgfahiy, killer, [K1L]ShAd0W[GER], [51]Usage (impersonator), 1Lexa8, Redeye, sid, ASTROKILLA, bar, mody, [R:K]BatistaBomB, revenger, [58f]gojan, imaidiot, [DOA]Arik, sn4k3, Broajer, HACKER, DDMX, dopey

"yeah, I googled "mod reveal 67" to find out what it does and the top links were from 1up" - SlimPickins[1up]

Offline EddieLee

• Since: 20/10/2010
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:56:18 PM »
KD its right, i melted my first pc's processor that way :S, also i would start backing up everything i case its HDD related, good luck.

8)
I like to quit important things. --Eddie

Offline Pyrite[1up]

• *[1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • Since: 08/11/2009
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 09:03:06 PM »
Perhaps it's those UrT hacks you have installed, they are known to screw up computers occasionally.
•·.· ́ ̄`·.·•"Most Likely to Pillage the Global Village"•·.· ́ ̄`·.·•

Offline Casper

• Can't shoot what you cant see :D
  • Since: 23/04/2010
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:54:26 PM »
Perhaps it's those UrT hacks you have installed, they are known to screw up computers occasionally.
I lol'd :D

Offline Bizzy

• Live. love. Laugh.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 01:33:15 AM »
Perhaps the CPU fan is failing if its performance related. If running apps increases load enough to induce a temperature rise the fan may spin up more; if the bearings are breaking down it may not be spinning fast enough to sufficiently cool the CPU, thus causing a lock up.
Hmmm That makes sense, any suggestion on solutions?

JJ!<3

Offline GoogleIt

• on my way
  • Since: 14/09/2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 02:38:03 AM »

I lol'd
--SnKGoogleIt

- I will always walk beside you. Never in front. Never behind. -

www.emilypoeproject.com

Offline Flame[1up]

• *[1up] App Staff
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Life is that one thing that will never make sense.
  • Since: 19/03/2010
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 04:23:43 AM »
Bizzy you quoted the wrong person
you were suspose to quote pyrite not KD

Offline KD197

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 06:09:02 AM »
If its a laptop, take it in for repair. I don't know about the internals of Mac desktops but it may be possible to replace either just the fan or the whole heatsink. If you can/want/have to replace the whole thing, go for the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Cheap but very good cooling for the price. Of course you may not be able to change it because its a Mac or whatever but if its the fan you need to get it replaced immediately. CPUs don't enjoy melting  8)

Not-so-1337-hax0rz: awsdgiaygveiujgfahiy, killer, [K1L]ShAd0W[GER], [51]Usage (impersonator), 1Lexa8, Redeye, sid, ASTROKILLA, bar, mody, [R:K]BatistaBomB, revenger, [58f]gojan, imaidiot, [DOA]Arik, sn4k3, Broajer, HACKER, DDMX, dopey

"yeah, I googled "mod reveal 67" to find out what it does and the top links were from 1up" - SlimPickins[1up]

Offline Pyrite[1up]

• *[1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • Since: 08/11/2009
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 06:57:49 AM »
Try compressed air into the air vents, if it still makes noise, you can actually try putting a drop of machine oil into the ball bearings by usually peeling off the sticker on the top side of the fan (tried and tested for me). I've worked on a few Mac laptops, they have the same hardware as PC's, so don't worry if you have to replace the fan(s), I'm sure you can find them on ebay.
•·.· ́ ̄`·.·•"Most Likely to Pillage the Global Village"•·.· ́ ̄`·.·•

Offline KD197

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 07:12:36 AM »
Try compressed air into the air vents, if it still makes noise, you can actually try putting a drop of machine oil into the ball bearings by usually peeling off the sticker on the top side of the fan (tried and tested for me). I've worked on a few Mac laptops, they have the same hardware as PC's, so don't worry if you have to replace the fan(s), I'm sure you can find them on ebay.
So a Mac w/ a socket 775 Intel proc for example will still have the regular 775 mounts and not some BS Mac-specific mount? Steve Jobs is slacking!

Offline Bizzy

• Live. love. Laugh.
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 05:36:19 PM »
Its actually a imac Intel Core Duo, not a laptop
Thanks, Ill try both things.

JJ!<3

Offline Gemma

• The devil isn't red.
  • Since: 21/07/2010
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »

This works, I can confirm it.  I would not use machine oil though.  It will get gummy and tends to attract dust.  Use a very light synthetic.  The very best money can buy is actually brass instrument valve oil.  It will not attract dust, and will last a very very long time.  You can generally get it at any music shop, and its cheap.

Offline papi_chulo

• Since: 23/10/2010
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »
Its actually a imac Intel Core Duo, not a laptop
Thanks, Ill try both things.

Man change your hard drive, its about to die. No need to mess with CPU