News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Urban Terror+Vent Help  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Lurker

• Since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • My Tumblr
Urban Terror+Vent Help
« on: July 27, 2010, 03:21:22 AM »
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=10284

This is really slow and laggy compared to Windows. Therefore, I uninstalled it. DId not trying the ioq* thing. Does it work better? I did try the second X though. Still slow and laggy.

The current main arch-games repository is down so I used a different one but it can't install urbanterror due to the fact that there's an i636 package in a x86_64 repository....

However, from the same repository, the mangler (vent) installed fine. But no one can hear me. I tried to change some things and go back, but I think people were ignoring me.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs243.snc4/39510_106189299434131_100001291835931_46127_7708483_n.jpg

Yeah...people on #archlinux are getting a bit ticked off XD

Offline KD197

• Since: 20/06/2010
Re: Urban Terror+Vent Help
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 05:47:27 AM »
In alsamixer hit f4 to go to the capture screen, scroll to the volume bar for mic/front mic or whatever your input device is and hit spacebar. That should put a red L R under the channel and make it active so your mic signals get through. (Adjust volume as necessary)
The screen you showed appeared to be the output screen, if you unmute your mic there you'll just hear everything you say through your headset. When you're done, press esc to exit and then type "sudo alsactl store" to make it persistent.
Just out of interest, is this 32 or 64 bit and what processor and gpu do you have? Heh damn arch-games people being lazy again; that isn't an official project as far as I know and last time I checked, it doesn't get updated very often.
As for your issues with the actual game, I haven't built it in quite a while, when I get home tonight I'll try building with the latest PKGBUILD and see what I get. My last build is dated 5th June, and the md5sums in the new PKGBUILD match the old downloads I have for the actual game/engine/whatever. Did you ever run UrT in Ubuntu? As in, is this a problem with Arch specifically? I know some people require a special loader for Ubuntu for... something, I can't remember what it is now.

EDIT: I've just built and tested from the most recent PKGBUILD, no noticeable difference in FPS on my end. (I only did a quick spec just to see what the values were on the same map on the same server)
When running under Windows, did you tweak any of your settings for performance? I'm sure you've checked all this kinda stuff but I'm grasping at straws a bit here.
System specs might be helpful, and also what DE/WM are you running? I know a secondary X is supposed to background the other session, but it might be worth trying a lighter system and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT2: My train of thought is running away with me here... GPU brand is important, please tell me it's nVidia and not ATi or Intel?!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:44:18 AM by KD197 »

Not-so-1337-hax0rz: awsdgiaygveiujgfahiy, killer, [K1L]ShAd0W[GER], [51]Usage (impersonator), 1Lexa8, Redeye, sid, ASTROKILLA, bar, mody, [R:K]BatistaBomB, revenger, [58f]gojan, imaidiot, [DOA]Arik, sn4k3, Broajer, HACKER, DDMX, dopey

"yeah, I googled "mod reveal 67" to find out what it does and the top links were from 1up" - SlimPickins[1up]

Offline Lurker

• My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:20:47 PM »
That was my F5. Shows both capture and playback devices. I put both mic and front mic up.

64 bit.

I have a crappy computer (still the best I have though). Everything is integrated. Because I'm lazy:

http://codepad.org/FT58J62n (lshw is NOT installed by default? =O)

@KD, it may be slightly faster than Ubuntu (I'm using the second x server as compared to the regular (not streamlined or whatever) urban terror executable. When I say slow and laggy, I mean when youf rist boot up and you are at the menu, it's slow and laggy. The mouse doesn't seem to move at all. And after you move like a couple milliseconds later the mouse moves on the screen.

Windows UrT is run as is, no tweaks (I don't like tweaking).

I'm running Xmonad.

Offline KD197

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 02:06:09 PM »
That image is way low res man. Can you post a picture of your F4 screen? I was wrong with what I said earlier, you should be looking for a channel called Capture, and when you press spacebar on that channel, you'll get L R CAPTURE appear in red letters.  (Well that's what I have anyway)
Hmm OK so no separate GPU card. lshw would only be installed if you chose to install it!  ;)
Which video driver did you install? That's some seriously odd behaviour going on...

But I just found this:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_x4500hd&num=6
It seems something about Urban Terror doesn't play nice with your GPU, which is odd considering Tremulous (which also uses ioquake3) posted an average of 61.5FPS. The bar for UrT on that graph is so small they can't fit text in it. (I'd hazard a guess of 1-2FPS lol)

Bear in mind that article is from 2008, some advancements may have been made in the video drivers, but from what you say UrT on Linux may be a lost cause for your little Dell.  :-\ What kind of FPS do you get in-game? Also, turn down all your graphics settings, it may still be possible to get it running smoothly if we can stop it choking on some of the effects. (eg bleeding, brass time etc)

Not-so-1337-hax0rz: awsdgiaygveiujgfahiy, killer, [K1L]ShAd0W[GER], [51]Usage (impersonator), 1Lexa8, Redeye, sid, ASTROKILLA, bar, mody, [R:K]BatistaBomB, revenger, [58f]gojan, imaidiot, [DOA]Arik, sn4k3, Broajer, HACKER, DDMX, dopey

"yeah, I googled "mod reveal 67" to find out what it does and the top links were from 1up" - SlimPickins[1up]

Offline Lurker

• My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »
Ah. I pressed spacebar on the capture and it worked. Thanks. (I thought muting was M?)

Offline KD197

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 02:23:55 PM »
That's for output channels  8)
Took me a while to figure it out, but ArchWiki + Google = win.
After doing some digging, it seems you're not going get good performance under Linux with Intel GPUs, the drivers are just sucky. The Arch forums are full of people with low framerates and Intel GPUs. You might see a slight performance increase if you try http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22968 it's the latest version of xf86-video-intel, but don't expect much, I think UrT on Linux is a non-starter for you. If in the future you're looking into buying/building a new machine, be aware that as it stands currently (as far as I know anyway) nVidia cards have better performance than ATi.
The closed-source nVidia driver works well, the open source driver is coming along nicely (3D is out of the question at the moment but they're getting there) and as for ATi, lots of people have problems, but if I remember correctly, ATi opensourced their drivers, as opposed to the nVidia ones having to be done from scratch.
tl;dr for now, stick to nVidia, in the future ATi will be the way to go as they're nice to us open source people.  :)

At least vent works  :P
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:25:45 PM by KD197 »

Offline Lurker

• My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 11:19:59 PM »
Yeah at least vent works. I have to have a laptop and my dad won't get me another one (i have to buy my own after i get out of school...duh XD). Why does AUR have new builds of the latest driver? I thought arch automatically gives you bleeding edge technology?

Yeah, I have to figure out where to put that specialized linux executable but for right now.. it's laggy even in a second x window

Offline KD197

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 11:02:32 AM »
The official Arch repos are pretty bleeding-edge, but then there's [testing] and [community-testing] that are even MORE bleeding edge, and sometimes the AUR has stuff that's basically hot off the press LOL
Just checked, the latest version of xf86-video-intel in the main repos is the same as the AUR one, so just stick with what you've got.

Oh and if you enable the testing repos, something WILL break  :D

Offline Lurker

• My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »
#: ./ioq3-urt
Couldn't load default.cfg
sh: zenity: command not found

Offline KD197

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 06:34:54 AM »
Zenity is for dialog display, it's in the Arch repos so a simple "pacman -S zenity" will get it installed.
Seems like a few people are having this problem, try googling it. Seems to me (from a quick search) that it's possible your .pk3 files are corrupted. Best bet is to reinstall from fresh source... although the PKGBUILD should've checked the MD5 sums...
Either way, I think the .pk3 files in question are in /opt/urbanterror/baseut4 which is different from how it used to be, as far as I remember, it was /opt/urbanterror/q3ut4. Since installing the latest version from the AUR, my ~/.urbanterror folder now has a baseut4 folder as well as the original q3ut4 folder... strangeness going on here (this has also messed up the G36 texture and reverted it back to the old brown one...)
You might need to specify startup paths if ioq3-urt is looking in the wrong place. I guess you *could* try renaming the /opt/urbanterror/baseut4 folder to q3ut4, but that'll probably mess things up on the game side  ???

Offline Pyrite[1up]

• *[1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • Since: 08/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 02:47:53 PM »
A long time ago I made a script for Quake3 to get the most performance fps possible, it turned everything off, and I do mean everything. I was able to play Quake3 on my Pentium 166 with 64MB of RAM, and a Voodoo 1 video card (pass through). This was in 1999 btw. I had a better computer then, but this was my older second machine I wanted to get Q3 running on so I would have 2 computers in my dorm room at college that could play Q3.

Someone should make a similar script for Urban Terror.
•·.· ́ ̄`·.·•"Most Likely to Pillage the Global Village"•·.· ́ ̄`·.·•

Offline KD197

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 03:31:08 PM »
That's pretty darn incredible dude. Is there a bunch of stuff in UrT that could be turned off for performance increase, that isn't accessible from the in-game menus?
I guess if it's all read from q3config.cfg then a simple shell script to replace lines would suffice. Probably using something like "sed" on Linux, dunno about other platforms.

Offline Pyrite[1up]

• *[1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 04:49:42 PM »
Yes, there is an abundance of settings outside the menus in game. Just make your own script, like fpsboost.cfg, and then you can execute it. The problem is, back with Urt was part of Q3, it shared the same settings, now that it isn't, things aren't the same exactly. For example, r_picmip, is now limited to like 0-2 in UrT, but in Q3 it was 0-5. I used to play with an r_picmip of 4, which is like no details at all.

Offline KD197

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 04:51:40 PM »
Ahhh I'd have to google pretty much all the lines then to find out what they do. Maybe when I've got some spare time I'll look into it, and come up with a sed script.

Offline Pyrite[1up]

• *[1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 05:00:56 PM »
Dude, what on earth do you need sed for? May be you should read about urt scripting first in the manual. You don't need sed for anything, or awk. You just put the settings in the script and execute it.