News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: God Vs. Something Else  (Read 18131 times)

Offline |$|CandyMan

• Since: 17/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • My Small Unsuccessful Website(But hey at least its got a forum.)
Re: God Vs. Something Else
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 06:08:43 PM »
Think about this. If I told you right now that there is a teapot orbiting Neptune and if you really believe you can speak to it inside your head. And if you ask it something it will do it unless it deems you unworthy of its Chai goodness. It is also a very secretive teapot and will make it's self invisible and intangible because it can. Would you believe me? If you have a fraction of an ounce of common sense you will say no.

At the beginning of this thread people were talking about how they were christian. Then someone made a comment about someone else being atheist. Why fight? Us atheists and christians aren't very different at all. Atheists only believe in one god fewer than christians do.

I'm fine with religion as long as it doesn't lead to violence or ignorance. Listen to science, the sun doesn't revolve around the earth.
Hackers in the bag as of now: 9
Kicked, shadow, >TsK|RiDiicK, OMG_WORMY, Exitus, Lermontov, megaman, aNooB, MasterOfOwning

Offline Casper

• Can't shoot what you cant see :D
  • Since: 23/04/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 07:32:38 PM »
Why fight? Us atheists and christians aren't very different at all. Atheists only believe in one god fewer than christians do.
Lawl!!! thats one of my favorite quotes evar :D

Offline Casper

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »
I don't think Christianity has to go against science. I love science and I think it goes hand in hand with my faith in a God.
Thats one of the reasons i think anything is possible. The laws of physics do work, but god may have created them that way. For that reason, the debate between science and religion will never end. However, i have a bit of a challenge for the religious people on this thread. Can you give us proof that god exists? Science has plenty of proof. Look back on history. The church taught that the solar system revolved around earth. Men that opposed that idea were ridiculed, and even killed sometimes. Now, we know that we revolve around the sun. Science has been proven over religion in the past through proof. If someone can us proof that god exists, ill definitly start taking religion more seriously. Dont just say the bible. True, it is based on past events, but like i said before, they take a bunch of wierd occurences and coincidences and say god is responsible. Dont say the love in people, either. Some have made his argument, but you see the same thing in animals. They die for their young, or pregnant mate. They defend friends who could end up as prey otherwise. Give me some sort of proof, and i will look into it for sure.

Offline JynX

• Since: 15/04/2010
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 08:26:26 PM »
So what you are saying is for all the none christians in the entire world, or for the people who do not believe in god or jesus, they are all going to hell? That really sux... since they have their own religion based on where they come from...

Offline Poe

• *Friend of 1up
  • AKA: SnKPoe
  • Since: 25/10/2009
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »
I think a religion in which you require proof excludes faith, which is key to most religions.

Agreed. I don't think there will ever be 100% proof of the existence of God. I never expect there to be. It just wouldn't make sense. I also don't think there will ever be 100% proof against God.

Think about this. If I told you right now that there is a teapot orbiting Neptune and if you really believe you can speak to it inside your head. And if you ask it something it will do it unless it deems you unworthy of its Chai goodness. It is also a very secretive teapot and will make it's self invisible and intangible because it can. Would you believe me? If you have a fraction of an ounce of common sense you will say no.

Well, if you proposed this and a enormous, unknown number of humans followed and had faith in this for over 200, 000 years (archeologists numbers/science numbers), then maybe I would believe you.
Anyone can create their own God. But to have millions and millions of people believe in only one... it takes more common sense for me to say yes.

Offline Poe

• *Friend of 1up
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »
Also, I'm really happy that this thread has gone the way it has. Mature and serious discussions vs. ridiculous name calling and such. You guys are so awesome!

Offline Casper

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 08:38:03 PM »
That seems dumb to me. How can an "all loving god" let people in 3rd world countries who never even heard of christianity go to hell because they dont even know what christianity is? Thats extremely unfair. Thats as bad as back when the church believed only higher class people could go to heaven :/

Also, I'm really happy that this thread has gone the way it has. Mature and serious discussions vs. ridiculous name calling and such. You guys are so awesome!

Haha im glad with how it went too :D

Offline JynX

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 08:39:25 PM »
Agreed!

Offline Poe

• *Friend of 1up
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2010, 08:45:43 PM »
That seems dumb to me. How can an "all loving god" let people in 3rd world countries who never even heard of christianity go to hell because they dont even know what christianity is? Thats extremely unfair. Thats as bad as back when the church believed only higher class people could go to heaven :/

I don't know how God determines all of that. I know that God offers Grace. Maybe that's the answer.
I'll never know... but I don't think we could ever know for sure how God works. Do I think that every person who hasn't heard of God is going to hell? No, I don't. Do I know for sure? No.
But I know that God is loving. And forgiving. And gives me strength. God judges differently than we do because he see's it all from every possible angle.

Offline JynX

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2010, 08:56:51 PM »
But from what I've heard and somewhat read from the bible myself, You cannot get into heaven unless you believe in God's son, Jesus. How can you believe in someone you have never heard of? Or if you have lived around a different religion your entire life?

And second. To some really big christians that go to church every sunday. I understand you may believe in him a lot. But how do you know for sure that there is a heaven, and that you will go? Why waste a perfect sunday for sleeping to go to church?

I went to Youth Group with my friend. I tried it all out. I just didn't quite get it at all.. But even her preacher or w.e. you wanna call it, even he said "It IS only a belief." Yes, faith counts for a lot. But what if you spend so much of your time, prayers, and faith on something to later find out that there is no heaven? I'd rather just live my life, and die. As all that is suppose to happen, instead of trying to believe in something or have faith in something to possibly later to find there is no such thing and to possibly be let down...

Offline JynX

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2010, 09:05:49 PM »
Lol, yea.. me too. (: good talking with you all!

Offline Poe

• *Friend of 1up
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »

I went to Youth Group with my friend. I tried it all out. I just didn't quite get it at all.. But even her preacher or w.e. you wanna call it, even he said "It IS only a belief." Yes, faith counts for a lot. But what if you spend so much of your time, prayers, and faith on something to later find out that there is no heaven? I'd rather just live my life, and die. As all that is suppose to happen, instead of trying to believe in something or have faith in something to possibly later to find there is no such thing and to possibly be let down...

I've lived life. I've lived a worldly, unhappy (at times)  life. Abuse to adoption. Happy times with drunk friends. Years addicted to crystal meth and cocaine. Suicide attempts. Being one of the most popular kids in school. Sports. Sorority in college. Boys. Ha. I've lived that life. And ya know, I really miss it sometimes... I miss being carefree. Sleeping in. Wasting time.
But now I don't.
I will never, ever regret living (or, attempting to live) a Christian lifestyle. What's bad about it? You live. You have motivation to be good - To be faithful to your spouse. To serve others. To volunteer. To hope.
If there isn't a God, I wont be let down. That faith is helping me to be someone worth being. I hope to be living my life like this forever.

Offline White^lynx

• meoow
  • Since: 09/09/2009
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2010, 09:10:54 PM »
Supposedly God gave us "free will" so how is it free will if he is going to MAKE US believe in him and if we dont we go to Hell. For me i believe that anything that we truly think is right and have no question against it, whether its budhism or christianity or athiesm it is true. For me  belive there is a God, but i dont believe that he will ever intervene here on Earth. So i dont pray or go to church like other christians do.

Look how people treat their inferiors, not their superiors.

JACk46d9

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2010, 10:13:51 PM »
  everything is true and left to interpretation. its much more scientific and simple than mystical. i think everyone will be surprised how simple it all is. i would look back as far as history will allow. the people who were first here tens of  thousands of years ago and look at what they say happened. what do the egyptians say. mayan. whoever. they all say we were visited. our gods came from "the heavens" this doesnt mean that the bible is not true its just who was behind it.

http://www.alien-ufo-pictures.com/ancient_aliens.html

Offline Casper

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »
My "mere" belief is worth more to me than anything.  ;)

p.s. I gotta be done with the thread.
lol why do u gotta be done? I liked your input lol  ;)