News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: sensitivity help would be GREATLY appreciated  (Read 3896 times)

Offline Cuomo

• =]
  • Since: 04/12/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
sensitivity help would be GREATLY appreciated
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:40:00 AM »
i just can't seem to get it right. either i can aim, and take 10 years to turn around or look left/right or circle jump/strafe.. or i can move like a fawking demon and be too shaky to hit air.
so many variables...
cg_smoothclients (idrk this one. mouse moves smooth or something)
m_yaw (horizontal sensitivity...basically) (.022)
m_pitch (vertical ^^) (.011)
sensitivity (changes all the time)
DPI (have 1000, had it set at that forever, recently set to 500)
mouseaccel (0)

helllllllllllllllp please!!! D=

Offline Shans

• 1up believes in 2nd chances.
  • Since: 21/06/2009
Re: sensitivity help would be GREATLY appreciated
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:41:17 AM »
I was the same till like a week ago. Idk about the other stuff but my sensitivity is now 5.4, and it's perfect.

Offline kamikaze

• Since: 08/02/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:15:31 AM »
Ya Idk anything besides my sensitivity which is usually 6-8.
Well, if you want to sing out, sing out
And if you want to be free, be free
'cause there's a million things to be
You know that there are

And if you want to live high, live high
And if you want to live low, live low
'cause there's a million ways to go
You know that there are

Offline cinnamon

• Help! My sarcasm detector is BORKEN!!
  • Since: 31/01/2010
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:13:06 AM »
i just can't seem to get it right. either i can aim, and take 10 years to turn around or look left/right or circle jump/strafe.. or i can move like a fawking demon and be too shaky to hit air.
so many variables...
I've played with most of those variables and found they didn't do much, except mouse accel that ruins my aim and my logitech software turns it on by default.  :(

Personally I go with a sensitivity of 1.8-2 so I can aim (the number doesn't really mean much since DPI and other settings on your computer can have a huge impact on sensitivity) and I just move my hand faster to look right and left.  I think worrying about all those other variables it just over-thinking.

I have to move my hand like 7-8 inches to do a 180, and about 16" to do a full 360 but if you practice on jump maps with low sensitivity it isn't that hard to get used to moving with low sensitivity. I also worked down to that sensitivity gradually I just bumped it down a couple tenths every time I felt too shaky or my aim was off, and I think that made it easier to get used to moving with low sensitivity.

Of course you do need a mouse pad that is at least 16" wide to do stuff like that but I think new egg sells them for like $10-15 and I think I saw some at office depot.

GL
"I have made an important discovery…that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, produces all the effects of intoxication." Oscar Wilde

Offline Picard[1up]

• *[1up] Member
  • The Captain
  • Since: 15/05/2009
    • The Beer Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »
so many variables...
I've played with most of those variables and found they didn't do much, except mouse accel that ruins my aim and my logitech software turns it on by default.  :(

Personally I go with a sensitivity of 1.8-2 so I can aim (the number doesn't really mean much since DPI and other settings on your computer can have a huge impact on sensitivity) and I just move my hand faster to look right and left.  I think worrying about all those other variables it just over-thinking.

I have to move my hand like 7-8 inches to do a 180, and about 16" to do a full 360 but if you practice on jump maps with low sensitivity it isn't that hard to get used to moving with low sensitivity. I also worked down to that sensitivity gradually I just bumped it down a couple tenths every time I felt too shaky or my aim was off, and I think that made it easier to get used to moving with low sensitivity.

Of course you do need a mouse pad that is at least 16" wide to do stuff like that but I think new egg sells them for like $10-15 and I think I saw some at office depot.

GL

+1

My sensitivity on my mouse is anywhere from 1.5 to 2.2. I think I might have it at 2 right now, but I will say that once you get used to it you can jump reasonably well and you will have much much better aim.
Microsoft wants us to "Imagine life without walls"...
I say, "If there are no walls, who needs Windows?"

Offline kamikaze

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 03:15:30 PM »
I have about 3 inches for mouse space right now haha. I just got a new desk and it has that pullout keyboard shelf but it can only fit the keyboard and maybe my hand laying flat. Not much room at all eh?
You know that there are

You know that there are

Offline Cuomo

• =]
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 05:44:47 PM »
do you lift your wrist when you spin like that or do you just move your wrist to the right or left and keep it on the desk?
PS: picard and cinnamon what's your DPI?

edit: i think i've pretty much got it
yaw=default (.022)
pitch=half (.011) - so i dont move up and down a lot.. you don't aim up often anyway just helps me headshot and stay on target
DPI=500
sens=1.4
smoothclients=back to 0. just feels better.
mouseaccel=always 0. even .001 sucks.
so yeah... time to buy a gaming mouse xD (better tracking, corded, more than 5 buttons =D [lol @ naga])
PS2: mousepad is 9" wide. go with black because lasers see it better. others?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:13:38 PM by Cuomo[1up] »

Offline cinnamon

• Help! My sarcasm detector is BORKEN!!
  • Since: 31/01/2010
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 04:52:09 AM »
do you lift your wrist when you spin like that or do you just move your wrist to the right or left and keep it on the desk?
IDK I'm sure I pick up my wrist when I flip 180's in jump maps, but when I shoot at people I tend to leave it planted which isn't always good when people surprise me.

PS: picard and cinnamon what's your DPI?
edit: i think i've pretty much got it

so yeah... time to buy a gaming mouse xD (better tracking, corded, more than 5 buttons =D [lol @ naga])
DPI 800
Good happy you got it.  ;D
and yes gaming mice are awesome :D I can't play with my old mouse at all any more.

pitch=half (.011) - so i dont move up and down a lot.. you don't aim up often anyway
I do aim up quite often LOL maybe you don't.
"I have made an important discovery…that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, produces all the effects of intoxication." Oscar Wilde

Offline Picard[1up]

• *[1up] Member
  • The Captain
  • Since: 15/05/2009
    • The Beer Garden
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 02:10:56 PM »
DPI can be anywhere from 800 to 1600 depending on what setting I use for my mouse.

This my current gaming mouse, not the top of the line by any means but I like how it feels and it has enough buttons for me:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104178
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 03:21:34 PM by Picard[1up] »
Microsoft wants us to "Imagine life without walls"...
I say, "If there are no walls, who needs Windows?"

Offline kamikaze

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 02:41:28 PM »
Pshh I got a stock Microsoft :P EAT IT!
You know that there are

You know that there are

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
  • Since: 11/11/2009
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 05:35:55 PM »
Have you checked to see if mouse acceleration is enabled in your OS?  If it is, turn it off.

Just a side note: I have and iHome Laser mouse.  Its 1600dpi and my in-game sensitivity is set anywhere between 7.75 and 7.9. (!)  Seems kinda high, but it works for me. 

I would suggest incrementally adjusting you sensitivity by .05 up or down until you find a good mix.  Took me a while to find a good range for me.  Its just something you'll have to play with.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

No nation ever taxed itself into prosperity.
-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Cuomo

• =]
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:01:37 AM »
-_- yes mouseaccel is off

sephy

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 04:43:53 PM »
Keep in mind that a lot of battles reward the player who lands the first shot, so sometimes a fast sensitivity that lets you snap to an enemy at close/mid range can pay off big.  Accuracy is the most important but speed is a close second, else you might die before even getting the chance to fire off more than 1-2 shots.

Most good players I know can do a 360 with a horizontal movement between 3-10 inches (it depends in part if you're a player who moves your entire arm or just your wrist.  I do wrist).  I myself use a very high sensitivity and can do it with 3, I think most players average around 6 inches.  Mouseaccel is very bad.  Turn it off everywhere (windows, mouse drivers, in-game)

Scripts will not improve your game very much it's mostly a waste of time.  I've tried using some in the past and ended up throwing them all out.  It's more important to focus on consistency in your settings and simply to concentrate on the game.  The only thing I have now is gear loadouts.  But Cuomo since I know you like scripts here's one I thought of just now that you could try.  I myself would not recommend using it though so lol.    :P

set low "sensitivity 1"
set high "sensitivity 1.5"
set s1 "+attack; vstr low; ut_echo ^2LOW SENSITIVITY"
set s2 "-attack"
bind mouse1 "+vstr s1 s2"
bind g "vstr high; ut_echo ^1HIGH SENSITIVITY"
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:48:43 PM by sephy »

Offline Cuomo

• =]
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 05:53:35 PM »
sephy i haven't tried it but that script most likely won't work. people have constantly tried low-while-shooting scripts and the only thing that can work is to have:
bind mouse1 "+attack;sensitivity .5"
bind mouse3 "ut_zoomreset;sensitivity 1"
so resetting to normal can only be done by hitting a button after. otherwise you get command overflow or sv_floodprotect 1
i'm set with what i've got now i'll just continue to slowly move up/down

sephy

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 10:42:10 PM »
sephy i haven't tried it but that script most likely won't work. people have constantly tried low-while-shooting scripts and the only thing that can work is to have:
bind mouse1 "+attack;sensitivity .5"
bind mouse3 "ut_zoomreset;sensitivity 1"
so resetting to normal can only be done by hitting a button after. otherwise you get command overflow or sv_floodprotect 1
i'm set with what i've got now i'll just continue to slowly move up/down

Oh the script definitely works without floodprotect or overflow.  I just think the script is useless.  :)

It's called a +vstr and it works by engaging the script when you press the button and disengaging it as you release the button.  In this particular script that I made, it allows the +attack;-attack to function normally.  However I setup that script to engage the low sensitivity when you +attack and you reset it with a different key, because otherwise it becomes difficult to burst shots and still aim properly.  If you really wanted to you could actually disengage the script as soon as you release mouse1, but it is too hard to handle.  Try it for yourself and you'll see it.  At a minimum you might find other useful implementations of +vstr
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:51:30 PM by sephy »