News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: UrT DMSP Mod: proposal.  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Teh_Bucket

• Since: 11/06/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
UrT DMSP Mod: proposal.
« on: October 03, 2012, 08:30:54 PM »
DMSP: Deathmatch Single-player. Basically, it takes the multiplayer doom maps and makes monsters spawn in waves, and the player must survive. It's been done plenty of times. A more recent and well done example would be Killing Floor: the whole game, monsters, maps, and weapons, are designed for this sort of gameplay, but it's essentially the same thing.

Urban Terror, with its awesome movement/parkour mechanics, may make for a very fun DMSP mod. Imagine fighting a variety of melee monsters, getting cornered, and barely escaping past them through a series of wall jumps.

Any ideas for how this would work, what kind of monsters there should be, how existing game mechanics would change, or volunteers to help make this, please join the discussion.

I have no modding experience, just modeling/texturing/animation. I would make the monsters if someone else programmed them in.

The first stage of the mod wouldn't add anything but the monsters and the gametype, the current weapons and maps are fine, though game mechanics will be changed in minor ways. Big things that would have to be figured out would be the monster pathfinding, and getting their spawning right.

Since I don't have a better example to start with, my only ideas for monsters so far are completely based on killing floor. Killing Floor monsters all move pretty slowly, but always towards you, so that the danger in constantly running is getting trapped, or stuck from behind. There should definitely be a clot like monster, one that grabs the player and hinders movement. The ranged enemies of Killing Floor don't shoot like snipers or autos; they're innacurate (husks) or very limited range (siren). I'm not sure what ranged monsters would be best for urban terror. Given the player's parkour abilities, I think there needs to be a fast, weak monster that is able to leap and bounce just like the player can. They wouldn't spawn often, but when seen, they would be your primary target. Another type of enemy to complement UrT parkour mechanics could be a wall crawler; perhaps these would be the ones that trap the player, crawling in unexpected places and getting you from behind, or being on just the right spot on a wall at the wrong time so you wall jump right into it. Feel free to brainstorm new monsters; if we get to the point where we've got a monster close to finalized, I'll model it.

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
  • Since: 02/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
Re: UrT DMSP Mod: proposal.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 08:38:34 PM »
It would be easier to use the DeathMatch mod for Killing Floor with fakebot players, and then to create a mutator for walljumps and push button speed.

Offline Teh_Bucket

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:57:43 PM »
Yes, but then all you'd have is killing floor with wall jumps and sprinting. I was proposing something much different for that.

Keep in mind I've got NO perspective on modding, or the amount of work it'd take. If you're looking at this and it is not at all worth the effort, please say so.

Offline Cope57[1up]

• adept GIMP user
  • *[1up] Dev Team
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • INTJ
  • Since: 03/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »
I would just die... Penguins can't jump.  :|
Hard enough operating a mouse with flippers.

Computers do not have problems, they have users

Offline abigpurplemonkey[1up]

• *[1up] Member
  • http://j.mp/ba1231 <------ Gotta love big governm
  • Since: 03/03/2012
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 11:11:17 PM »
I would just die... Penguins can't jump.  :|
Hard enough operating a mouse with flippers.
I lol'd

Offline Teh_Bucket

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 06:58:19 PM »

This would be the fast, agile monster. More to come, as well as textures and whatnot, but so far the only ones I have planned are this and the wall-crawling monster. Ideas appreciated.

This is the wall-crawling monster that grabs you when you get too close.

And this is the .blend file, in case anyone's interested. The file in dropbox will update as i update it.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71638665/monsters.blend
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:23:41 PM by Teh_Bucket »

Offline Teh_Bucket

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:48:41 PM »
Update: the Leaper is textured (and rigged).

Proposed other monster types:
"stacking doll monster" (ever watched the tick? "I'm full of tinier men!") Stacking doll effect probably wouldn't work in ioquake3, or be reasonable, but basically a slow, useless zombie that soaks up damage. Wouldn't take much headshot damage (if it'll even have a head)

Wall monster; super slow moving, blocks path with projectiles but doesn't actually do damage except at melee range.

"Slenderman" enemy: (ever played Slender? and still sane?) doesn't actually follow player, or attack, but you put your cursor on him, and bad things happen.

the last monster in a group that you kill; it's health is based on the amount of monsters around it, or,

the first monster in a group that you kill; it heals the monsters around it.

spitter monster: same as crawler, but ranged. shots are large, slow, and dodgeable (like sauerbraten's single player enemie's projectiles)

generic monster. melee.

exploding: every other zombie-style enemies have an enemy you don't want to shoot right next to you. maybe this one too.

mine spawn: sort of an egg thing, when it's disturbed by player or monster movement, or gunfire, it spawns monsters around it. Possibly the way all monsters spawn. Difficult, but possible, to sneak past it.

Offline Fusion[1upZ]

• *[1up] Member
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • For every task, there's a perfect tool
  • Since: 31/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Dem Cupcakes bro
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 04:08:33 AM »
Nice work bucket, keep it up

-Fighting without hope is no way to live, its just another way to die
-Insert inspirational comment here
Free Cupcakes

Offline Flame[1up]

• *[1up] App Staff
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Life is that one thing that will never make sense.
  • Since: 19/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 07:12:17 AM »

"stacking doll monster" (ever watched the tick? "I'm full of tinier men!") Stacking doll effect probably wouldn't work in ioquake3, or be reasonable, but basically a slow, useless zombie that soaks up damage. Wouldn't take much headshot damage (if it'll even have a head)

Wall monster; super slow moving, blocks path with projectiles but doesn't actually do damage except at melee range.

"Slenderman" enemy: (ever played Slender? and still sane?) doesn't actually follow player, or attack, but you put your cursor on him, and bad things happen.

the last monster in a group that you kill; it's health is based on the amount of monsters around it, or,

spitter monster: same as crawler, but ranged. shots are large, slow, and dodgeable (like sauerbraten's single player enemie's projectiles)

generic monster. melee.

exploding: every other zombie-style enemies have an enemy you don't want to shoot right next to you. maybe this one too.

mine spawn: sort of an egg thing, when it's disturbed by player or monster movement, or gunfire, it spawns monsters around it. Possibly the way all monsters spawn. Difficult, but possible, to sneak past it.
Tip: Make sure your UV's don't hit each other sharply.

And if anything, You might just make a game like Urban Terror instead of inheriting Urban Terror and its ....issues. Not to hard to make a shooting game with wall jumps(well at least programming-side)

Anyways what do you use to model, you look pretty good at modelling, but a thing about video games is most models need to be low-poly.

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 08:49:13 AM »

generic monster. melee.

If you seriously want to do this mod it will require one team of the characters to be replaced (probably best to replace Red team), the game repacked as a "mod" with a specific name. You will have to fully animate each of these characters so that they work with the existing animations (for example the use of a knife could be replaced with the animation of clawing a person). Once you have done at least one character fully, with proper textures and in the proper .md3 format, then present that here with a video clip of the final version for us to review.

Offline Teh_Bucket

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »
crawler, basically a big mouth:

Tip: Make sure your UV's don't hit each other sharply.

And if anything, You might just make a game like Urban Terror instead of inheriting Urban Terror and its ....issues. Not to hard to make a shooting game with wall jumps(well at least programming-side)

Anyways what do you use to model, you look pretty good at modelling, but a thing about video games is most models need to be low-poly.

Yes, it's hard for me to let go of an Urban Terror mod, I just like the game for this idea, especially the weapon-set. Anyway, I was hoping to keep the code side of the job easier by making it a mod, and a mod of a game I'm familiar with. Perhaps the cube2 engine, seems like it would be simpler for this kind of thing, being more open source.

I use blender. I haven't seen any poly guides for ioquake3, but the leaper is 1196 triangles and the crawler is only 183. I'll try and keep it low for everything I make. (the first images I posted had subsurf on, those were a bit huge.)

If you seriously want to do this mod it will require one team of the characters to be replaced (probably best to replace Red team), the game repacked as a "mod" with a specific name. You will have to fully animate each of these characters so that they work with the existing animations (for example the use of a knife could be replaced with the animation of clawing a person). Once you have done at least one character fully, with proper textures and in the proper .md3 format, then present that here with a video clip of the final version for us to review.

Makes sense. Is there anywhere you can point me to figure out the required animations/bodies being split up for urban terror? Or is it the exact same as quake 3 arena?

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 02:16:24 PM »
Makes sense. Is there anywhere you can point me to figure out the required animations/bodies being split up for urban terror? Or is it the exact same as quake 3 arena?

Try using Google as a search tool. Here is one result but you will find dozens if you make your search topic-specific:

http://www.xbdev.net/3dformats/md3/index.php