News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: New page: Urban Terror for Dummies  (Read 3407 times)

Offline brickuz

• Since: 24/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
New page: Urban Terror for Dummies
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:24:56 AM »
Hi,

I'm on a never ending quest to claim world domination. My most recent step towards this great goal is creating a tips & tricks website for Urban Terror. The page contains just above 120 very short articles on topics such as Clan Management, Practice, Player Tactics and Gaming Psychology. The complexity differs from newbies only (Equipment) to quite advanced stuff (Clan Management, Psychology and Practice mainly). At the moment it's published on the Urban Terror forums (with positive feedback), Urban-zone and bla bla bla bla bla... (<- This part is my advertisment message, I know it's not much of a selling argument to help me achieving world domination but it's the best I can do)

Anyway, I enjoy mushrooms making this an obvious place to publish the link, hope you don't mind (well to be honest I even hope you clap your hands for my effort and start worship me but I guess that's one mushroom too many).

Anyway...
http://erik.sajbertown.com/urt

Any comments or suggestions are more than appreciated!

BR,
brickuz

Offline KD197

• Since: 20/06/2010
Re: New page: Urban Terror for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:27:12 AM »
Not bad but some of this stuff is subjective. I don't think extra ammo is a waste, I often run out of SR8 ammo on sniper levels even with extra ammo, and I don't miss much. Also, I often choose extra ammo over a secondary and it does me well. When in a tight match, a secondary is useful, so they're not just for snipers. Also, you say you use Kevlar and helmet even when sniping, but neither will stop an SR8 round, so they're useless in a sniper battle.
One more point is you think both secondaries and extra ammo are useless, so what do you do? Use a couple of clips in you primary then you either have to go scavenging in the line of fire or get caught short.
If you want this to be a more definitive guide, you need to have the pros and cons of using certain equipment vs not using it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:04:32 AM by KD197 »

Not-so-1337-hax0rz: awsdgiaygveiujgfahiy, killer, [K1L]ShAd0W[GER], [51]Usage (impersonator), 1Lexa8, Redeye, sid, ASTROKILLA, bar, mody, [R:K]BatistaBomB, revenger, [58f]gojan, imaidiot, [DOA]Arik, sn4k3, Broajer, HACKER, DDMX, dopey

"yeah, I googled "mod reveal 67" to find out what it does and the top links were from 1up" - SlimPickins[1up]

Offline Casper

• Can't shoot what you cant see :D
  • Since: 23/04/2010
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:22:45 AM »
I agree completely with kd. It can be good advice, but it all depends on the situation. Look at fun tdm mode: I usually snipe here, in a place where I'll have easy shots and very few, if any, directions people can get to me from. I play tdm trying to die less instead of kill more, or more accurately, I guess trying to get the most kills per death. I live so damn long on some maps(namely 1up Xmas ;p), I run out of ammo even with extra ammo. And the thing about secondaries: I suck at close-medium range fighting with sr8, and i can never get a kill with one de clip. I need a secondary in case somebody gets to close. Now, I suck pretty bad, so my techniques are obviosly flawed, but following some points of your advice wouldn't work for me.
EDIT: sry, made the mistake of posting before reading :p he included using a secondary with a
sniper, KD just meant using a secondary with an auto. Ahaha. :-[
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:29:17 AM by Casper »

Offline brickuz

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:24:46 AM »
This is exactly the feedback I want. I know some of the articles (especially the early ones) are quite subjective and getting a second opinion on those is necessary if I want the page to actually be helpful. Very welcome feedback and things I will fix when I get time (probably after the weekend). If you find more articles you think is bull****/too subjective, please comment on them as well (either here or as a comment on the page, I check both). I will try and look over all the articles (especially equipment since I know a lot is taste) during the next week as well.

Thanks a lot! Feedback noted!

Offline KD197

• Since: 20/06/2010
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 11:36:18 AM »
On the config page, UrT folder location: "Linux: ~./q3a/q3ut4/" - first of all, I think that's a typo, you probably mean ~/.q3a/q3ut4 (note the position of the period - leading dots in Linux are hidden folders; second, for me anyway, my folder is at ~/.urbanterror/q3ut4 so it can be different.
""Thanks" - giving med is just something everyone should do, nothing you really need to comment." - this is perfectly fine if you're in a match with clanmates, people you know well, or you have voice chat, but in my opinion if you're on a public server it's always a good idea to say thanks, else you might find next time they walk right by you.

Clan management page, re: VoiceCom - you might want to add links to sites to download the clients, and mention Mangler (Linux Vent client)

Equipment page, re: grenades - you might want to make a comment regarding smoke nades and teamplay, not everyone on the team will be using tacs so be considerate of where you throw smokes - they can work to your enemies' advantage if your team are taken by surprise. Good example is not to throw smokes in all the doorways, else you'll either force your teammates to walk into the unknown (and possibly the line of fire) or they'll all wait for the smoke to clear and be bunched up - then someone with a negev gets up close and you're all dead.
Go in to more detail on the pistols - yeah the DE is powerful, but the spread is terrible when compared to the Beretta, which has insane accuracy even when you empty the clip as fast as you can. Headshots on helmetless enemies are fatal, and it's great at all ranges - I've taken out countless snipers with a Beretta. It's difficult to keep a cool head and control your fire when surprised, so if all you have is a pistol, the Beretta is superior in terms of maintaining accuracy when hammering the trigger; the DE still has it's merits though, all that power puts enemies down fast. I for one will probably never go back to the DE.

Oh and run a spellcheck, and swap the character images at the top for UrT ones! 8) (I'm guessing they're from CS)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:38:13 AM by KD197 »

Not-so-1337-hax0rz: awsdgiaygveiujgfahiy, killer, [K1L]ShAd0W[GER], [51]Usage (impersonator), 1Lexa8, Redeye, sid, ASTROKILLA, bar, mody, [R:K]BatistaBomB, revenger, [58f]gojan, imaidiot, [DOA]Arik, sn4k3, Broajer, HACKER, DDMX, dopey

"yeah, I googled "mod reveal 67" to find out what it does and the top links were from 1up" - SlimPickins[1up]

Offline brickuz

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 04:29:43 PM »
On the config page, UrT folder location: "Linux: ~./q3a/q3ut4/" - first of all, I think that's a typo, you probably mean ~/.q3a/q3ut4 (note the position of the period - leading dots in Linux are hidden folders; second, for me anyway, my folder is at ~/.urbanterror/q3ut4 so it can be different.
Running Linux myself so yes, "~./q3a" was a typo, thanks for commenting that, it's now fixed. Regarding the folders it's strange, double checked it with the manual:
http://www.urbanterror.info/docs/texts/116/#4.6
Dunno why yours is .urbanterror instead though but I've added a note regarding this as well.
""Thanks" - giving med is just something everyone should do, nothing you really need to comment." - this is perfectly fine if you're in a match with clanmates, people you know well, or you have voice chat, but in my opinion if you're on a public server it's always a good idea to say thanks, else you might find next time they walk right by you.
Good comment, it's well worth mentioning, sometimes I focus my material on clanwars and sometimes on publics without mentioning it properly and without talking about the other case. Once again, good comment.

Clan management page, re: VoiceCom - you might want to add links to sites to download the clients, and mention Mangler (Linux Vent client)
Good point with links, didn't know of Mangler so that's also useful news, thank you.

Equipment page, re: grenades - you might want to make a comment regarding smoke nades and teamplay, not everyone on the team will be using tacs so be considerate of where you throw smokes - they can work to your enemies' advantage if your team are taken by surprise. Good example is not to throw smokes in all the doorways, else you'll either force your teammates to walk into the unknown (and possibly the line of fire) or they'll all wait for the smoke to clear and be bunched up - then someone with a negev gets up close and you're all dead.
That's sure true, absolutely stuff for either the Team Tactics section or grenade article.

Go in to more detail on the pistols - yeah the DE is powerful, but the spread is terrible when compared to the Beretta, which has insane accuracy even when you empty the clip as fast as you can. Headshots on helmetless enemies are fatal, and it's great at all ranges - I've taken out countless snipers with a Beretta. It's difficult to keep a cool head and control your fire when surprised, so if all you have is a pistol, the Beretta is superior in terms of maintaining accuracy when hammering the trigger; the DE still has it's merits though, all that power puts enemies down fast. I for one will probably never go back to the DE.
Really good comments! I agree with your previous comment that a lot (especially in the Equipment section) is way to subjective, I'll look over this and try to add more details on Beretta. Never liked Beretta much myself, which is a problem, but I am aware of it's ability to fire quick and accurate and that's definitely something that should be mentioned.

Oh and run a spellcheck, and swap the character images at the top for UrT ones! 8) (I'm guessing they're from CS)
Language is a problem and I'm painfully aware of it. I speak decent English (working at Ericsson in Sweden so it's kinda mandatory) but my spelling is far from perfect not to mention grammar. It's not just a problem that things are spelled wrong, it's also sometimes a problem to explain stuff efficient when I use too simple English .( Well, I try to stay professional knowing that I'm a bit over my head both in UrT skills and English skills. I've done similar stuff in other games but mainly in games I know like the back of my hand and also mainly in Swedish or with lots of corrections from clanmates... that's unfortunately not possible this time so I try to correct stuff one by one instead, hoping it's at least understandable language (still painfully aware of that it's a big negative affect on how professional the page appears).

Regarding the image I know it's CS, lot's of people commented it. I'm a geek when it comes to programming but I sure suck with Photoshop and stuff. I tried out a bunch of free designs but I simply liked this one best even though I knew it would put me in trouble. The image stays until someone is annoyed enough to hand me something more appropriate .(
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 04:31:28 PM by brickuz »

Offline Dj_Menthol

• Since: 04/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 05:48:38 PM »
whats the jump button

Offline Pyrite[1up]

• *[1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • Since: 08/11/2009
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 06:34:09 PM »
I read through quite a bit of your site this morning, some good stuff. I too noticed dozens of spelling and grammar mistakes, so I figured you were either really young or foreign. Since you use Linux, php -f your sites files and pipe them to aspell or something.
•·.· ́ ̄`·.·•"Most Likely to Pillage the Global Village"•·.· ́ ̄`·.·•

Offline Bizzy

• Live. love. Laugh.
  • Since: 02/10/2009
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 10:47:14 PM »
Extra Ammo is a waste for me.
having a helm or kev/Medkit is a much better replacement for an Sr8.
You're not going 1 on 1 Sniper Battle, but you're covering for your team, which involves hitting distanced shots and medding up Auto's.

JJ!<3