News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Netgraph  (Read 2280 times)

Offline KD197

• Since: 20/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Netgraph
« on: August 16, 2010, 07:36:15 AM »
So I was on Fun TDM earlier and got this netgraph... apparently the red lines indicate packet loss, so I think this constitutes "heavy" packet loss LOL. I asked Ratt2 who was in there too if he was having issues and he wasn't, so it's obviously on my end. I've noticed a steady increase in the number of red lines over the last few days so my connection is obviously degrading... My rate is already set to 25000 and maxpackets is 42, as per advice on dailynade, just wondering if anyone knows of anything else I can do to alleviate this?

EDIT: It seems to be a problem between the UK and the US... UK servers are fine. Problem being that there are no UK 1up servers :'(

[attachment no longer available]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:47:49 AM by KD197 »

Not-so-1337-hax0rz: awsdgiaygveiujgfahiy, killer, [K1L]ShAd0W[GER], [51]Usage (impersonator), 1Lexa8, Redeye, sid, ASTROKILLA, bar, mody, [R:K]BatistaBomB, revenger, [58f]gojan, imaidiot, [DOA]Arik, sn4k3, Broajer, HACKER, DDMX, dopey

"yeah, I googled "mod reveal 67" to find out what it does and the top links were from 1up" - SlimPickins[1up]

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
  • Since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
Re: Netgraph
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:16:28 AM »
In system settings - Network make sure packetdup is set to triple
and in the console ~ add /ut_timenudge 50  you will have a 50ms extra latency but it will
smooth things out, When I get black bars it really helps to add a slight timenudge and then I don't
have to FEEL the effects.

You can try a lower timenudge- 50 is the MAX.

If you have WiFi make sure noones stealing it, And that nobody on the network is using hulu. (That gives me tons of packetloss)

:P

If the problem is not your computer or someone on your home network, Then anything beyond what I put up above is pretty much out of your hands.

Run a virus scan, And make sure you don't have anything open in the tasktray (Torrent) Etc.
Cross your fingers and HOPE its a virus or something you can FIX. :P
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:18:36 AM by SNKQuaKe[1up] »
“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”

Offline FedoraMike

• Since: 27/04/2009
    • My Webpage/Portfolio - Under Construction
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:58:32 AM »
Generally blackbars indicate anti-warp kicking in due to ping flux while red lines indicate loss of connection/packet loss

Could check this site out for more info and some tips:

http://www.www0.org/w/Networking,_lag_meter,_and_gaming_consistency_guide_to_Urban_Terror

Also depending on whether or not you are getting 125 FPS consistantly you may want to change cl_maxfps and com_maxpackets, if your FPS is unstable it can have an effect on your connection...  In general you want your maxpackets to divide into your FPS after rounding so you'd want to use one of these pairs, don't ask me about the whole rounding and dividing thing, this is just what I've been told by people who've been playing a lot longer than I have:

cl_maxpackets 42
com_maxfps 125

cl_maxpackets 42
com_maxfps 83

cl_maxpackets 30
com_maxfps 87

Offline KD197

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:48 AM »
That link in particular is great Fedora! Seems like timenudge may help slightly as it will reduce the choppiness slightly as it can help with "snapshot fluctuation in excess of 50ms" as indicated by yellow spikes on the top bar.

I get a constant 125/126fps, my WiFi is locked down with the WPA2 and a MAC address whitelist, no one else is on the network, there is no possibility of virii as I'm on Linux and behind two routers and all other tasks don't affect performance as I start UrT from a script that starts a new graphical server specifically for the game and backgrounds the first graphical server and all it's related processes. I set duplicate packets to triple upon first setup, and I've read the maxpackets/FPS thing before, and adjusted appropriately.

I guess timenudge is my only hope, unless it's somehow fixed itself today. Gonna jump on now and take a look, but I appreciate the replies :) Plus this may be useful in the future if someone else is having network issues... assuming they know how to use the search function :P

Not-so-1337-hax0rz: awsdgiaygveiujgfahiy, killer, [K1L]ShAd0W[GER], [51]Usage (impersonator), 1Lexa8, Redeye, sid, ASTROKILLA, bar, mody, [R:K]BatistaBomB, revenger, [58f]gojan, imaidiot, [DOA]Arik, sn4k3, Broajer, HACKER, DDMX, dopey

"yeah, I googled "mod reveal 67" to find out what it does and the top links were from 1up" - SlimPickins[1up]

Offline Dougy

• Since: 17/01/2010
    • TheOMFG Music
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 08:36:25 AM »

I get a constant 125/126fps, my WiFi is locked down with the WPA2 and a MAC address whitelist, no one else is on the network, there is no possibility of virii as I'm on Linux and behind two routers and all other tasks don't affect performance as I start UrT from a script that starts a new graphical server specifically for the game and backgrounds the first graphical server and all it's related processes. I set duplicate packets to triple upon first setup, and I've read the maxpackets/FPS thing before, and adjusted appropriately.

KD Your hired lol, do that to mine pl0x XD

Offline KD197

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:46:19 AM »
Haha I'm no 1337 computer guy, I just know what I need to know. :P

Offline Tits_McGee

• DON'T PANIC!
  • Since: 08/10/2009
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »
KD197, I would love to have a look at your ut startup script, I have been mucking around trying to write something like that. As a side note what window manager do you use?

Offline KD197

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 11:48:33 AM »
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash 
sudo cpufreq-set -r -g performance
DISPLAY=:1.0
xinit /usr/bin/urbanterror $* -- :1

Then if you want to return to your regular desktop without quitting UrT, hit Ctrl+Alt+F7 (assuming you have 6 ttys) and then F8 is UrT. Personally I only use 2 ttys though.
The cpufreq line is for bringing me back up to max speed as I usually have the "conservative" governor in use, and I only get consistent 125 fps at max speed.
I use DWM with a few patches for additional tiling modes, window movement and coloured statusbar.

Offline Tits_McGee

• DON'T PANIC!
  • Since: 08/10/2009
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:28:33 PM »
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash 
sudo cpufreq-set -r -g performance
DISPLAY=:1.0
xinit /usr/bin/urbanterror $* -- :1

The cpufreq line is for bringing me back up to max speed as I usually have the "conservative" governor in use, and I only get consistent 125 fps at max speed.

This is perfect, I can't believe I forgot about cpufreq, I am sure that is where the problem lies. Most of the time I run a pretty vanilla wmii desktop, but I had noticed I was getting better performance in gnome/metacity than in wmii or xmonad, which puzzled me. I think cpufreq is the answer as I use a pretty spartan xinit script and completely left that out. Thanks!

Back to the original post, I had never seen red bars in the net graph until the last week or so. I noticed weird lag the other day, glanced over and saw them. I had to look them up, all I have ever seen is black bars. At first they were light, then heavier the next day, now they seem gone. I live in the US so, not sure if that helps or whatever. I have not really tweaked my game networking settings and had never really considered it until reading this post. Now I am intrigued. :D

Offline KD197

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 07:44:14 AM »
Ah so you were starting wmii from a xinit script and clocking down your processor, but then not setting the performance governor before starting UrT, whereas you bypassed your xinit with a graphical login manager with gnome, therefore never clocked down? I see :P
Oh and all but the cpufreq line was nicked from the ArchWiki, so I can't really take credit for it. It's a mine of useful info though http://wiki.archlinux.org
Heh I still get 80-125fps even with the conservative governor... perhaps ondemand is the way to go? Actually I'll just stick to performance, although I wish I could work out how to make it automatically switch back to conservative after exiting UrT...

It's strange thought that you've been getting red bars too, perhaps it's due to the servers themselves, and me being further away exacerbates the packet loss? I dunno, I'm not a networking guru :-\ I don't know what kind of hosting the 1up servers are on, but I know some people have experienced issues, particularly with lag, at the same time as me... we were discussing it on Vent as we were in the same server.

Oh and here's some more beauties from yesterday LOL

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:46:21 AM by KD197 »

Offline Casper

• Can't shoot what you cant see :D
  • Since: 23/04/2010
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »
Mind 'Sploded  ???

Offline KD197

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 11:07:10 AM »
Why? Never seen such tasty netgraphs before?  :D

EDIT: I hate my ISP. Even blatant hits aren't registering anymore, it's like potluck, even with an SR8. I don't even want to play UrT anymore it sucks that bad. Freakin' ISP needs to pull their finger out and fix this NOW. Either that or it's all the kids on the Internet watching videos of cats because it's the summer holidays... in which case the government needs to sort out the heavy restrictions on fibre optic so someone actually bothers to start installing it.

UPDATE: Just got the attached netgraph... (never seen so many different issues on a netgraph lol) my internet has officially died. Logged in to my router, no line :/
Managed to get online through my Nexus via the joy of USB tethering. I guess this isn't so much a transatlantic connection problem, more a "my ISP sucks" problem.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:46:15 PM by KD197 »