News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Custom Surface Sounds  (Read 2118 times)

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
  • Since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
Custom Surface Sounds
« on: September 22, 2010, 05:54:35 PM »
I rewrote this article i found so we can always have it. I have not tested the whole sound list but the ones ive used work perfectly

You need bsp.exe. This is the program that can import and export surface types from a map. Download attached

1. Put bsp.exe in your map directory
2. Navigate to map directory from cmd prompt and type "bsp.exe -se ut4_sample.bsp ut4_sample.surface" and ut4_sample.surface will appear in the map directory.
3. Open the surface file with wordpad and it will have a long list of  textures from your map. Next to each texture location it will say = none.
4.Replace NONE with any one from the list below.
5. Save surface file
6. Type bsp.exe -si ut_map.bsp ut_map.surface in the cmd prompt to add the surface file back into the bsp

none
aluminum
brass
brick
cardboard
cement
ceramictile
clay
copper
dirt
glass
grass
gravel
hardwood
ice
iron
linoleum
mud
pavement
plank
plaster
plastic
rock
rug
sand
softwood
snow
steel
stucco
tin
titanium
water

Important note
If you're compiling a bot navigation file, you have to import the surfaces BEFORE you compile the bot navigation file, or the bots will not work.

[attachment no longer available]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 04:34:15 PM by SNKQuaKe[1up] »
“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”

Offline neeko

• Got slack?
  • Since: 29/01/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Custom Surface Sounds
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:08:55 AM »
Any recent q3map2 can do the custom surfaceparms without using an external utility.

Put the attached custinfoparms.txt file into your scripts directory (same directory as your shaderlist.txt or .shader files will work.) Add the switch -custinfoparms to your BSP compiling command. You're good to go!

For example in GtkRadiant:
Go to File->Project Settings.
Pick the compile command you normally use and click 'Change'
Copy and paste the 'Menu text' and 'Command' text into a text editor.
Click Cancel.

Click 'Add...'
Paste the 'Menu text' into the text box. Add '-custinfoparms'
bsp_Q3Map2: (test) BSP -meta, -vis, -light -fast -filter  ----> bsp_Q3Map2: (test) BSP -meta, -vis, -light -fast -filter -custinfoparms
This is just so you know this is the right command.

Paste the 'Command' into the text box.
Add '-custinfoparms' to each 'stage' of the compile command, like so:
! "/home/jeff/Apps/GtkRadiant/install/q3map2" -v # -game quake3 -fs_basepath "/home/jeff/Apps/Games/UrbanTerror/" -meta -custinfoparms $ && ! "/home/jeff/Apps/GtkRadiant/install/q3map2" # -game quake3 -fs_basepath "/home/jeff/Apps/Games/UrbanTerror/" -custinfoparms -vis -saveprt $ && ! "/home/jeff/Apps/GtkRadiant/install/q3map2" -v # -game quake3 -fs_basepath "/home/jeff/Apps/Games/UrbanTerror/" -light -fast -filter -custinfoparms  $

Now hit 'Ok' and compile with this command like normal. Ta-da! Custom surfaceparms without the extra, external step.

Never again will you forget to include the custom stepping sounds for your textures!
Who needs karma when you've got slack?

Ostricide

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »
oh!  now he tells me.  :o

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »
How do I set the sound for each texture?

Offline neeko

• Got slack?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:41:47 PM »
How do I set the sound for each texture?

I was thinking I should've included that...
Short answer:
Include a 'surfaceparm TYPE' in the shader for the texture, where TYPE is one of the types in custinfoparms.txt; ie., brick, rock, tin, steel, ... 'surfaceparm brick' (see example shader below.)

Long answer:
[If you already know about shaders, the short answer should suffice. I'm going to be pretty verbose here for anyone that isn't familiar with them or thought they were only used for really complicated special effects.]

If you haven't already, create a file called ut4_MAPNAME.shader; ie., ut4_mario1.shader
Place that file in the ./scripts/ directory of your UrT install (and in the ./scripts/ directory of your pk3, when the time comes.)

The .shader file is a text file that uses a simple language to define 'shaders' for textures in the Q3 engine.
Here is a simple example shader for a texture with no transparency that is affected by the lightmap:
Parts that begin with // are comments, just for illustration, and should not be included in the real file.

textures/mario_blocks/brick_brick      // The name of the texture as it will be referred to in Radiant, no extension
{
    qer_editorimage textures/mario_blocks/brick_brick.tga      // The path to the image that will represent this shader in Radiant
    surfaceparm brick    // A surface parameter: This specifies that this surface will be treated as brick by UrT
    {
        map textures/mario_blocks/brick_brick.tga     // The actual texture that will be drawn for this texture-shader combo
        rgbGen identity     // Don't worry about this, or go read http://toolz.nexuizninjaz.com/shader/
    }
    {
        map $lightmap     // These three lines mean 'apply the lightmap to this texture'
        rgbGen identity
        blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
    }
}

Comment-free copy and pastable inside the spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So create your .shader file and copy this shader into it. Change the paths to point to your texture, change the surfaceparm to specify the material you want, and recompile your map with the -custinfoparms switch as I showed above. You'll need a shader for every texture you want to apply a custom surface sound to.

Unfortunately the shaders used by the stock UrT textures don't include the necessary surfaceparm as far as I can tell. This means they won't have custom sounds unless you modify their shaders. The good news is you can add the custom sound surface parm to the stock shaders, build your .bsp, and you don't have to include the modified stock shader files because the custom sounds are applied to the .bsp.

In the case of your own textures/shaders you do have to include the .shader file in your pk3.

In case you're wondering why you would want to do it this way:
1) It keeps all the information defining how a texture looks and acts in one place.
2) It doesn't require using a separate utility outside of q3map2 which can be annoying for a whole bunch of reasons.
3) It can be made a part of your bsp compilation process and doesn't require any additional outside steps. I know the 'old way' adding surface sounds was a 'polish' step that I took only when I was ready to package the final product. Forgetting sucks and it's one more thing to test during that final stage (did you set all the textures to the sounds you wanted? etc.).
4) It is a simple way to get introduced to shaders which you'll want for transparency and more advanced effects as you 'level up' in mapping.

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »
Thank you for taking to time to reply. I have a bad habit of avoiding shaders.

Offline neeko

• Got slack?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:00:46 PM »
No problem. They're worth getting used to. The ? boxes in ut4_mario1 use a shader for their animation. The shiny gold blocks use one for their shinyness. The lava uses one too. Parts of shaders have to be applied during compilation, but a lot of them can be changed without recompiling. They're a lot of fun to tinker with, save, and reload your map to see how they changed things.