News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 877 times)

Offline Nexus[1up]

• *[1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • Since: 27/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
New Computer
« on: May 29, 2016, 02:41:36 PM »
Getting serious about upgrading my desktop to handle more current games; thoughts on this rig?

Case:    NZXT Phantom 410 Black
MOBO:  MSI Gaming 5 Z97 LGA 1150
CPU:     Intel Core i5 4690K
RAM:    Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB
HDD:    Seagate 1TB
SSD:     Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
GPU:     NVIDIA GTX 970

Could use opinions on the following:
Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
PSU:     Undecided

"If a man plays the fool, then it's only fools he'll persuade. But appear to be the devil, and all men will submit"
     -Edward Teach (AC IV)

"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted."
     -Altair Ibn-La'Ahad (AC)

Offline Kaos[1up]

• KAOS ("Killing an organized sport")
  • *[1up] KF Admin
  • Since: 02/03/2010
Re: New Computer
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 05:57:59 PM »
Go I7 if you can afford it, here's the cooler I'm running.

LEPA LPWAC240-HF AquaChanger 240 Liquid CPU Cooler 240mm   

Offline Cope57[1up]

• adept GIMP user
  • *[1up] Dev Team
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • INTJ
  • Since: 03/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
Re: New Computer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 06:13:18 PM »
You did not mention your cpu cooler.  I recently purchased a CRYORIG H7 Tower Cooler For AMD/Intel CPU which is has a noise Level of 20-25 dBA.  There are many that are quieter, or keep your cpu cooler, but the fact that it does not interfere with any ram you have installed even with ram coolers is what made my decision for the mentioned cpu cooler.
My original stock cpu cooler worked great, however, after about four months, it started to sound like an airplane taxiing down a runway.  It was loud enough that I needed to turn up my headphones while gaming.  Not to say you need to purchase the latest popular cpu cooler, just do your own comparisons, and hopefully you will have a rig that will perform the way you need to suit your needs.

Computers do not have problems, they have users

Offline Nexus[1up]

• *[1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • Since: 27/03/2010
New Computer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 07:52:24 AM »
Go I7 if you can afford it, here's the cooler I'm running.

LEPA LPWAC240-HF AquaChanger 240 Liquid CPU Cooler 240mm

i'd rather stay with the i5 considering my budget lol. I looked at test runs and the 2 operate at a 2 frame difference so it shouldn't be much worse. How's the liquid cooler running? My original choice was a Nepton but they're much pricier.

You did not mention your cpu cooler.  I recently purchased a CRYORIG H7 Tower Cooler For AMD/Intel CPU which is has a noise Level of 20-25 dBA.  There are many that are quieter, or keep your cpu cooler, but the fact that it does not interfere with any ram you have installed even with ram coolers is what made my decision for the mentioned cpu cooler.
My original stock cpu cooler worked great, however, after about four months, it started to sound like an airplane taxiing down a runway.  It was loud enough that I needed to turn up my headphones while gaming.  Not to say you need to purchase the latest popular cpu cooler, just do your own comparisons, and hopefully you will have a rig that will perform the way you need to suit your needs.
The EVO is the cpu cooler; it's gotten good reviews but I can't decide between it or a 120 liquid cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If a man plays the fool, then it's only fools he'll persuade. But appear to be the devil, and all men will submit"
     -Edward Teach (AC IV)

"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted."
     -Altair Ibn-La'Ahad (AC)