News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Any testers still alive here?  (Read 4508 times)

Ostricide

Re: Any testers still alive here?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 11:11:55 AM »
thanks neeko, thats the best review I could hope for.

I am wishing I had not posted the alpha ver because at that stage it wasn't really ready for any kind of testing and I didn't know how to do a lot of the things I did with the beta.

I used some bot_roam's (I called 'em bot_wanders earlier...lol)  to get the bots to not simply run out and get shot, although thats still what happens you have to look for them a little bit now.  But the bots aren't the reason for the map... I really want to see what happens when humans find little nooks and things I havn't even seen in my own map yet.

shot 3 shows how just a little cover can go a long way on this map and make you a real pain to dislodge if your a camper.

shot 2 is a view from the sniper loft.  if you back up a couple steps and run out this window you will fall further than you imagined and die.  So be careful out there.

shot 1 shows what I think will be the hottest spot on the map for a sniper.  moving up and down the ramp and hiding behind the boxes and pillars is gonna be fun.

So I think Dogleg beta needs a little tweeking but its pretty much done.  Now I need to spend the time and effort to make the textures look right and add a couple things to the lighting and its an -rc. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:18:46 PM by ManiacalMoose »

Ostricide

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »
hold everything... I think I found a bug that crashes the game but I don't know why. 

if you jump onto one of the bridge covers playing on a local non dedicated server... it crashes the game for me everytime.

if you do the same thing on a dedicated server you have to walk around for a bit but it crashes the game for me everytime.

has anyone else noticed this?   ???

Offline neeko

• Got slack?
  • Since: 29/01/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 09:46:05 PM »
Attempting to reproduce...

I know I jumped on the covers plenty yesterday and it never crashed. I'm doing it now and still nothing. My first thought is that the bots are causing the crash. Are you using bots? I can't use them on my machine. Crash crash crash.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:48:49 PM by neeko »
Who needs karma when you've got slack?

Ostricide

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 10:53:13 AM »
I fixed the bot problem, but I can still cause a crash if I walk over the bridge covers.  also I now have textures that wont show up (despite completely removing and rebuilding the floor) although they are clearly there. 

every one of my uploads has had a major problem with it and I'm getting really frustrated.

I'm sure anyone who is trying to play the map is also frustrated. 

if I ever get this to work I'll post it, but it has taxed my patience and I'm not having fun anymore.

time to walk away.  maybe come back later.

Offline Flame[1up]

• *[1up] App Staff
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Life is that one thing that will never make sense.
  • Since: 19/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »
What is the name of the texture that is missing does it come with urt, or did you custom make it?

Offline neeko

• Got slack?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 03:26:22 PM »
How'd you fix the bot problem? The only way I've had success running bots was on a 64 bit install (Linux.)

I'm not seeing any missing textures. Hmm.Your frustration is understandable (been there.) I'll be around whenever you're ready to tackle this project again.

Ostricide

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »
the problem with the bots (i think) was that some of the bot_roam entities I had placed were half in the floor when I did a BSP cut with the floor brush.  By raising them all out of a brush it seemed to significantly help the crashing problem but not eliminate it.  I thought for a bit that it might be happening when a bot was in the water and I was on the bridge above but I cant confirm that.

I have also noticed, for example with Dressing Room, that if I put myself in a certain place and cause the bots to do a certain thing it crashes every single time.  In Dressing room, I need only stand on top of one of the buildings and get a bot to look at me.... crash.  I don't understand it but I can reproduce it.

The Texture problem that I am having needs a little explaining:  I noticed that I had something like 18 brushes making up the walkways around the hurt water so I selected everything that was the ground or lower and removed it.  I then used one brush for the ground and 3 cuts for the water to be in... now when I add the water (regardless of the texture I choose for it) it does not appear when I build the map, but it functions... I jump into nothing and float and take damage.  I have tried messing with the lights and completely starting from scratch, using water caulk and raising / lowering the level (in respect to the floor) with the water brushes but nothing seems to make a difference... still cant see the water.  my next step is to completely remove all the floor again and start from scratch... but i think it wont matter.  I dont get what makes texture not visible.

the specific texture I am using is found in radiants texture list under urban terror 2 and its water1.  I don't know how to "make" a texture.

anyway, I'll fiddle with this later, right now its just a bummer.

glad others are interested though  :)  thanks.

Offline neeko

• Got slack?
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
Bots cause crashes, period. Does the map crash without bot_enable = 1?

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
  • Since: 02/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »
the problem with the bots (i think) was that some of the bot_roam entities I had placed were half in the floor when I did a BSP cut with the floor brush.  By raising them all out of a brush it seemed to significantly help the crashing problem but not eliminate it.  I thought for a bit that it might be happening when a bot was in the water and I was on the bridge above but I cant confirm that.

I have also noticed, for example with Dressing Room, that if I put myself in a certain place and cause the bots to do a certain thing it crashes every single time.  In Dressing room, I need only stand on top of one of the buildings and get a bot to look at me.... crash.  I don't understand it but I can reproduce it.

The Texture problem that I am having needs a little explaining:  I noticed that I had something like 18 brushes making up the walkways around the hurt water so I selected everything that was the ground or lower and removed it.  I then used one brush for the ground and 3 cuts for the water to be in... now when I add the water (regardless of the texture I choose for it) it does not appear when I build the map, but it functions... I jump into nothing and float and take damage.  I have tried messing with the lights and completely starting from scratch, using water caulk and raising / lowering the level (in respect to the floor) with the water brushes but nothing seems to make a difference... still cant see the water.  my next step is to completely remove all the floor again and start from scratch... but i think it wont matter.  I dont get what makes texture not visible.

the specific texture I am using is found in radiants texture list under urban terror 2 and its water1.  I don't know how to "make" a texture.

anyway, I'll fiddle with this later, right now its just a bummer.

glad others are interested though  :)  thanks.

Use this tutorial to get water working in your map:

http://1upclan.info/hosted/bubba-map-tuts/liquid1.html

Ostricide

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 02:52:36 AM »
yeah seems like the bots are the cause of my worries.  :(  stupid bots. 

hey neeko, you say 64 bit ver is running them okay?  could you please check out ver b2 and see if it works better?
I am stoked because just before the last crash I saw someone snach the flag and take off!  woot!  so CTF, TS, TDM and DM should all work correctly, albeit the same for the moment.

everything is pretty much the same cept for the working water!  thanks RonaldLee for the link... great site.  my problem was trying to do too much with one brush, but i guess you figured that out already :)   and thanks neeko for the deepwater suggestion.  i like it.

okay... i have checked and double checked and triple checked.  everything should be in order this time.   :-[

see how the bots dont just dive into the water like they wanna die?  thats special. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:17:39 PM by ManiacalMoose »

Ostricide

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 03:00:02 AM »
I also meant to add that if you are trying to clip that map for bots, you will have a lot of work to go through. For example, you may have made an .aas file but you have no entities to direct or attract bots, such as the bot_roam entities. I wonder if you are using bot_clip in your .map file. Bots will get stuck on certain objects.

Man you have been a great help.  Thank you. 

So if I use bot_clip to essentially create a bot only overlay on the map they wont crash as badly?  Seems from what I have been reading that no matter what the bots just arent stable. 

well thats interesting since I play on servers with bots on them all the time, never seen one crash once.  soooo.... did I miss something?  whats the secret to stable bot play?   cant be special maps, can it?  i mean we all play the same version.

I also have tried just spectating with 8bot.cfg running and thats about the only way I can playtest. 

What do you think of the map?  is it live player worthy?  I can add some 1up textures in all kinds of places. 

again, thanks for the help.

Ostricide

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
I think the placement of the boxes and barrels is pretty precise right now, you can jump from anywhere but the loft and not get hurt if you know where.  I would be interested in hearing from some jumpers... i bet you can't get anywhere you shouldn't and I also bet everything is pretty well placed.

finally done with this one.  i learned a lot.  i think the next one is gonna be for zombie mode.

I just went through my UrT dirs and removed all previous versions, I recommend it.

anyway, enjoy.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:18:10 PM by ManiacalMoose »