News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Urban Terror Lag fix?  (Read 5081 times)

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
  • Since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
Urban Terror Lag fix?
« on: December 31, 2010, 08:56:04 PM »
I don't know how many people might be in the same boat but this helped on my system.

I set Urban Terror to LOW priority in task manager..

I guess its because I have a built in Network Adapter.. And i suppose its neglected by the CPU when
I play video games causing lag. My ping is much more stable this way. I do have a dual core system
so on low priority Urban Terror still runs 125fps and smooth.
“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”

Offline KD197

• Since: 20/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Urban Terror Lag fix?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 10:04:41 PM »
I read somewhere that UrT uses 100% CPU no matter what proc you have so this makes sense.
I guess adjusting the nice level in Linux would have a similar effect, I'll have to look into it.
One question though: is your PC managing your internet connection or is it just onboard Ethernet connected to a modem router?

Not-so-1337-hax0rz: awsdgiaygveiujgfahiy, killer, [K1L]ShAd0W[GER], [51]Usage (impersonator), 1Lexa8, Redeye, sid, ASTROKILLA, bar, mody, [R:K]BatistaBomB, revenger, [58f]gojan, imaidiot, [DOA]Arik, sn4k3, Broajer, HACKER, DDMX, dopey

"yeah, I googled "mod reveal 67" to find out what it does and the top links were from 1up" - SlimPickins[1up]

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 02:06:04 AM »
Windows 7 64bit

Onboard Realtek 8111C

connected to

Netgear Switch

connected to

Linksys wireless router (dd-wrt firmware)

wirelessly bridged to

Linksys wireless router (1 block away) (dd-wrt firmware)

connected to

Motorola Surfboard Modem

Its funny I know, When I get my house finished sometime later this year, Ill have my own internet. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:20:14 AM by SNKQuaKe[1up] »

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 02:15:06 AM »
I have wondered if its something to do with Windows 7.

I like the feel of windows 7.. But ive never felt as in control as I did with XP :P I know your a linux guy

I waited until XP was into service pack 3 before switching to it from windows 2000.. But I kind of jumped the gun w/7

Ive considered reinstalling w/32bit since I only have 4gb of ram and would rather build a new computer then pay the inflated price of DDR2 ram :P

Anyways, I almost bought a gaming NIC but decided to get an Intel instead.. even if the onboard was not doing anything out of the ordinary I chose the PCI version of it so I can use it in any system worse case scenario.

Offline KD197

• Since: 20/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 10:46:39 AM »
32 bit will only address slightly over 3GB of RAM if memory serves me correctly.
I have two routers between me and the wall socket and found that the MTU size was different on both. I made them both the same and all of a sudden my hits were much improved, so you might want to try that first.

Not-so-1337-hax0rz: awsdgiaygveiujgfahiy, killer, [K1L]ShAd0W[GER], [51]Usage (impersonator), 1Lexa8, Redeye, sid, ASTROKILLA, bar, mody, [R:K]BatistaBomB, revenger, [58f]gojan, imaidiot, [DOA]Arik, sn4k3, Broajer, HACKER, DDMX, dopey

"yeah, I googled "mod reveal 67" to find out what it does and the top links were from 1up" - SlimPickins[1up]

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »
The wireless router in bridge mode doesnt offer MTU change, But the one used as the gateway did, It was on auto.. I just set it to 1500, Which i tested against 1ups IPs and 1500 was the correct value.

Reinstalled Windows 7 today. Stuck w/64bit but it solved a few weird registry issues I had. (Installing Applications got denied access to the registry alot)

I was using 800 gigs of space, I parted with about 750 gigs of it. :(