News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Programming Languages?  (Read 543 times)

Offline Casper

• Can't shoot what you cant see :D
  • Since: 23/04/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Programming Languages?
« on: November 06, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »
I want to make a game based on 2d sprites, and randomly generated maps. i guess its more of a roguelike game? anyway, what would be the best programming language to do this? im trying to decide which i want to learn first.

Offline Flame[1up]

• *[1up] App Staff
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • [1up] Dev Team
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Life is that one thing that will never make sense.
  • Since: 19/03/2010
Re: Programming Languages?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »
lol i use gamemaker and it uses the coding language GML, pretty sure that stands for Game Maker Language but not sure

its pretty easy

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/125879

theres a link of a game i made, you have to download it though :/

its a 2d game but it looks three dimensional, oh and you can change levels (volcano, ice,or forest)in options, forest is default

well wish you luck Casper, good seeing ya :)

Offline Tesla[1up]

• *Administrative Leave
  • [1up] Dev Admin
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • Since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 11:24:08 PM »
GameMaker

I have also created half a dozen games using game maker over the years. I have used it since version 4 was first introduced. For the most part it's point and click, change a few properties, compile and your done. If you want to make a more complex game then you will need to learn GML as flame stated, however there are many scripts out there already that do most of the common stuff for you, you just need to edit them to suit your needs.  The language itself is pretty easy to learn as well if you want to roll your own scripts. You can even create online multilayer versions of the game with the professional version.

RpgMakerXP or VX

Even tho the primary focus of this application is to create old school RPG's, you are not limited to just those types of game and the language that it uses is a variation of Ruby so if you have ever coded in Ruby before then you should not have much problems making a game with it either. No online stuff tho.

Dark Basic

If you do not mind learning abit, you can give dark basic a try, It can create 2D and 3D games, As you can guess from the name, the language used in this application is Basic (or some form of it anyway) and you can create online games with it as well. The learning curve for this one is greater then the others, but that is also it's advantage. You will have alot more control over the way the game is created if you do it yourself.

C or possibly C++

If you want to truly do it like the professional gaming companies do then (in my humble opinion) C is the ONLY language you should be looking at. The learning curve here is extremely high if you are just starting out and it might take you a few years to get the basics down, but anyone who is truly serious about game design will tell you that C is THE language that owns all others hands down.

I intentionally left out many other languages because I could write about this for weeks and never even cover all the valid points but this should give you a decent start and good luck.

Tesla[1up)
"May I suggest the footing of your ass" Red Forman

Offline Casper

• Can't shoot what you cant see :D
  • Since: 23/04/2010
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 12:56:28 AM »
Ahaha I'm very familiar with game maker :D
anyway, I've been pretty interested in indie games lately, and I wanted to try making one. Lol. If anyone wants specifics on the game I'm gonna start working on, pm me and I'll tell you :D
I was mainly deciding between C and java, but I think I'll probably go with C. It'll be a while before I can start actual work, but I wanted to avoid using game making programs and actually code it myself. If I was gonna use a game making program, I woulda used the ohrrpgce anyway :D
also, anyone know what dwarf fortress was coded with? My game will look very similar to it, using ASCII, and being able to use texture packs. I'll probably include a few texture packs I make, just because I know how it irritates a lot of people playing through text :p