News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Improve your FPS Updated  (Read 4238 times)

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
  • Since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
Improve your FPS Updated
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:00:08 PM »
Here are some tips on improving urban terror and system performance in general.

Outside of Urban terror
Get omegadrivers for your ATI or Nvidia video cards OmegaDrivers.net (Ive used them for years with very little issues and major performance gains)
At the very least update yours with offical drivers from Nvidia.com or ATI.com

Update your chipset drivers (Most people dont) Can improve graphics speed and system speed all around.
Especially if your video card is in PCI mode when its an AGP card or your Harddrive is not using DMA.
This will require a little googling.
Download http://majorgeeks.com/download181.html (AIDA32) If you dont know what chipset you have. It provides all kinds of hardware information that is useful for driver hunting and tweaking.

Most chipset makers provide a "Unified Driver" That will auto install the drivers for your chipsets.
Once you use Aida32 and know your Chipset google it. Example "SIS Chipset Drivers"

Defrag doesnt make much difference unless your harddrive is terrible but do that once or twice a year ;P

You might even consider overclocking but its not for the Avg Joe. This program works with ATI and NVIDIA cards and maybe others. You CAN burn up your card but its unlikely. Good idea to add fans or improve cooling to your card. But this program is basically overclocking for dummies.
http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

*Update*
My Brother in law told me about a program to tuneup services in Vista/Windows 7
Has Gaming mode to disable them temporarily.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/vsoptimizer.html

Game Booster
  (Good especially if your on a family computer because it restores services when you done gaming)
Can help you to get better performance from your PC while playing resource intensive games. The program accomplishes this by shutting down a series of Windows background services that are normally not needed during game play, cleaning RAM, and intensifying processor performance. Once you are finished playing your game, simply click a button to restart all the services and regain full functionality for regular PC usage.
http://www.snapfiles.com/downloads/dlgamebooster.html

Another program i really like is called Starter found here. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html
With few exceptions it will stop all the stupid programs that load up in the taskbar at bottom right of screen. It will also let you disable windows services much faster than service.msc

Inside Urban Terror
Turn off Vertical sync under system in game.

On really slow Video cards turning off all the extras under game options can add FPS and also improve your play. You might not notice as much as I do but Blood off and other things clean up my view and help me keep my target in sight in a frantic gun fight.

(side note)
I use a Dot for my crosshair with a size of 20 and color GREEN. Looks like a dead LCD pixel and i think it shows up on just about any color well.

Not much here but if it helps even 1 noob ill be happy. I hate everyone* telling me they get 20fps.. It hurts. Ive been there. I Did most of my Quakeing on 28.8k Modem and a Nvidia 16mb Card and then a Geforce 32mb for Quake3. : ) And those were the days before unlag code.

If anyone wants help reply and I or someone else will see what we can do.

Another thing that may slow your system down is AntiVirus.. OR a virus.. They both can suck resources. If your antivirus will let you.. Try disabling residential scan and or making sure your scans are scheduled @ a time when your afk. 

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:45:57 PM by QuaKe[1up] »
“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”

Offline GoogleIt

• on my way
  • Since: 14/09/2009
    • Facebook
Re: Improve your FPS
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 05:00:19 PM »
This is awesome. I really suggest you guys follow these steps. Quake is a tweaking guru and he knows what he's talking about.

I'm actually kind of surprised he made this post. Back in the day, when I would ask him a question about my hardware he would tell me "Google it". Hence, my name. :D
--SnKGoogleIt

- I will always walk beside you. Never in front. Never behind. -

www.emilypoeproject.com

Offline FedoraMike

• Since: 27/04/2009
    • My Webpage/Portfolio - Under Construction
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 07:24:30 PM »
I was considering checking out the omega drivers, but they are 2 years old so I'm not sure they would be best for my video card...

Looking at it, the nvidia omega drivers are from December 2007 and the GeForce 9800 GT was released in July 2008 so I don't know if my card would be fully supported... I've got the most up to date drivers for my card and the seem to do pretty well so I dunno, still might check it out and revert back if I need to..

Offline Shans

• 1up believes in 2nd chances.
  • Since: 21/06/2009
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:44:30 PM »
This is awesome. I really suggest you guys follow these steps. Quake is a tweaking guru and he knows what he's talking about.

I'm actually kind of surprised he made this post. Back in the day, when I would ask him a question about my hardware he would tell me "Google it". Hence, my name. :D

LOL

Offline FedoraMike

• Since: 27/04/2009
    • My Webpage/Portfolio - Under Construction
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:59:29 PM »
I was considering checking out the omega drivers, but they are 2 years old so I'm not sure they would be best for my video card...

Looking at it, the nvidia omega drivers are from December 2007 and the GeForce 9800 GT was released in July 2008 so I don't know if my card would be fully supported... I've got the most up to date drivers for my card and the seem to do pretty well so I dunno, still might check it out and revert back if I need to..

So the old adage if it's not broken don't fix it comes to mind, lol... the omega drivers installer didn't even recognize my hardware and I've spent the last hour or so trying to get the original nvidia drivers working again :P

EDIT:
Finally up working again, I'll share the interesting problem I encountered though in case anyone else runs into it...

I have a nVidia GeForce 9800 GT card manufactured by Sparkle Inc.  I downloaded the latest drivers from nVidia 195.62 desktop (english) from nVidia... when installed, it would not load windows correctly except in safemode... I went to the sparkle website and downloaded their recommended driver 195.62 desktop (international) and it works now... Exact same driver release just the international version instead of the english version... moral of the story, when in doubt, try the manufacturer first :P
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:37:30 PM by FedoraMike »

Offline GoogleIt

• on my way
  • Since: 14/09/2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 09:58:46 PM »

So the old adage if it's not broken don't fix it comes to mind, lol... the omega drivers installer didn't even recognize my hardware and I've spent the last hour or so trying to get the original nvidia drivers working again :P

EDIT:
Finally up working again, I'll share the interesting problem I encountered though in case anyone else runs into it...

I have a nVidia GeForce 9800 GT card manufactured by Sparkle Inc.  I downloaded the latest drivers from nVidia 195.62 desktop (english) from nVidia... when installed, it would not load windows correctly except in safemode... I went to the sparkle website and downloaded their recommended driver 195.62 desktop (international) and it works now... Exact same driver release just the international version instead of the english version... moral of the story, when in doubt, try the manufacturer first :P

Yeah. I have an XFX 8800 GTS(G92) video card. My previous drivers were by nvidia and I didn't have any problems. I think they were a bit out of date anyways so I just decided to use the Omega drivers. I haven't had any problems, but it wouldn't surprise me if some people did. I haven't really seen an increase in FPS or anything yet. I need to run some more intense games. Since my card is a ****ING BEAST, I could already run pretty much any game MAX detail. :p
--SnKGoogleIt

- I will always walk beside you. Never in front. Never behind. -

www.emilypoeproject.com

lonewolf

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 03:41:19 PM »
Wow, this really worked, thanks google!! ;D ;)

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
I was thinking Omega for the 20fps peeps. Do you get low FPS on a 9800 LOL.. NOOOOO : )

I run them on my older systems but actually the system im on now I just run Stock Nvidia.com drivers.
Its a Geforce GT 220 with 1GB Onboard DDR3 Ram. I wont notice a difference accept on Crisis.

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 03:46:03 PM »
Oh and to Goog, The only real way to "see" The difference is to chance com_maxfps to 999 or higher if it will let ya... : ) Though youll never actually see the difference... Damn human eye bottleneck.

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 03:49:29 PM »
This is nowhere near complete.. I just thought id throw up a few good ideas. And to googles comment about guru.. At 14 I went to Radio shack and bought shielded copper phone line and reran the line through the crawl space and tried different modems and  init strings to get the best ping times on my old modem. I took quake semi serious. :P

Offline |$|CandyMan

• Since: 17/03/2009
    • My Small Unsuccessful Website(But hey at least its got a forum.)
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 04:00:17 PM »
Find the folder system32 and delete it. It makes your computer faster.
Hackers in the bag as of now: 9
Kicked, shadow, >TsK|RiDiicK, OMG_WORMY, Exitus, Lermontov, megaman, aNooB, MasterOfOwning

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 06:22:40 PM »
lol. Thats just wrong.

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
    • Youtube's channel
Re: Improve your FPS Updated
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 06:59:46 PM »
Updated

Offline White^lynx

• meoow
  • Since: 09/09/2009
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 07:44:14 PM »
revive thread! Quake your mah savior! im currently get 100 fps with only 20 fps drop so im capping it at 80 and its great! Keep thread alive for people with bad FPS!!! No more 30 fps!!  :'( :'( :'(  <-tears of joy

although im getting 150 fps instead of my usual 80? can i fix that?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:47:01 PM by White^lynx[1up] »

Look how people treat their inferiors, not their superiors.

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 03:43:34 PM »
Revive