News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Next Tournament..  (Read 5724 times)

merkymerc

Re: Next Tournament..
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 03:44:16 AM »
The open server was fine for the player turn out we had.  I do favor locking it in the future though, but only in the rare chance that a ton of UrT's "top" players sign up, show up, and stick through the whole tourney. If players start leaving before the match is done, open it up. I just think that'd be a pretty interesting game. But that is probably not going to happen, and I don't mind. After all, it is a free for all in a TDM setting, just have fun with it and not worry about who is fragging who. My 2 copper pieces.  8)

EDIT:
The only real issue with the open servers is when people join up to randomly teamkill. I don't care if people that didn't sign up join the match, or if "noobs" join the match; as long as they are there to play the game, it's all good.

One other thing, what happens if someone that isn't signed up for the tourney joins the game and ends up scoring better than everyone who did sign up?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 03:55:41 AM by merkymerc »

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
  • Since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 06:53:24 AM »
I think it makes alot of sense to push a C cup winner into B league and a B cup winner into A league for next tournament.

Money isn't everything what about a Hall of Fame page on the website we can earn ourselves onto.

1on1 tournament would be fun

5 or 3 man team tournaments

Im guessing even thor destroying me in B league before he was bumped to A didnt really change the outcome too much. Everyone feels cheated but in the end its up to us and our skills to overcome.

“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”

Offline civil

• Since: 30/10/2009
    • Clan-VeX
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 08:25:26 AM »
I think it makes alot of sense to push a C cup winner into B league and a B cup winner into A league for next tournament.

I like this idea :)

IlanGraveShootEmUp

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 05:24:44 PM »
This was my post from the other thread and I think it is applicable here:

"Zhalix and I were in spec for some of it (I had to leave after a little while), and it's clear that next time we should do better to make sure the teams are even.  I think that as people join the server, the admins in spec should look at the scores and adjust the teams so that each has approximately the same quality.  This would not only even the teams in numbers, but in quality as well. 

For instance, the top two scorers would be placed on opposite teams. If there is a third player who is not far behind the top two in terms of score, he could be placed on the team with the second place player.  The fourth and fifth place players could then be added to the team with the first place player, and it goes on from there, I think you get the idea.  This would only need to be done once or twice per game, at the most. 

This would be better than the current system, which relies on the players themselves to balance the teams.  It would also take care of "Noob Entrance Phenomena," where noobies join the server, get killed by civil 16 times, and with 0 kills and 16 deaths, decide to leave.  If they start to give too many "free" kills to one team, we analyze the quality of each team, and compensate.  Overall, I think this would make a noticeable difference in terms of fairness.

Another thing to consider: no friendly fire.  If it were just civil, beast, merky, thor, khali, etc. then I would say FF is essential.  But, with so many noobies and tk'ers coming in and out of the game, this could cause problems and ruin peoples scores.  Just some things to consider."

After hearing what everyone has to say about the tournament, I would like to expand upon my previous post by giving my input.

In keeping with the original idea for the tournament, I would like to see the servers remain open. This is, after all, a TDM tourney, and half the fun of playing TDM is the non-stop action provided by having a lot of players.  Having players of lesser quality join the server is not a problem at all, in fact it is essential for the TDM tournament experience. 

Of course, if we let public players come into the server then we need to be diligent in keeping the teams fair.  My other post was an attempt to show how this could be done.  It's simple: if we have a couple admins in spec monitoring the server, and talking to each other on ventrilo, they can make proper adjustments to the teams (forceteam) to ensure they are fair and balanced.  The adjustments could happen in response to various events: someone joins the server, a certain amount of time has elapsed, the kills reach a certain number, map change, etc.  Whatever the event is, the admins would be provided with a set of guidelines to follow when evening the teams.  Ultimately, however, they would have to use their own judgement.  In the hands of the wrong admins this could create a bias, but we are not *******s and we want it to be as fair as possible. 8)

In addition to balancing the teams, these admins would also perform their normal rule enforcing duties, like kicking tk'ers, asshats, cheaters, etc.  I am interested in finding out what everyone thinks about turning friendly fire off.  There are some definite benefits of turning off FF, but there are also drawbacks.  If we allow public players--many of which will be noobs--to play on the server, we will face problems of teamkilling and teamwounding (both intentional and unintentional).  Turning off FF would solve these problems.  The downside: kill stealing.  Say you are battling DiggyGraves[1up], and you manage to get past his fierce Mp5k, and you are going to finish him off with style by knifing his ass. You've worked hard to get to this point, and right as you are about to give him the last slash of your knife, NOOB_G36 hits him with 1 bullet from across the map--with his scoped, and spamming, G36.  Without FF this all too common.  So, which would you rather have? Teammates stealing your kills, or teammates tk'ing you?

I think it's good that we are having discussion like this.  This is only the second TDM tourney that we've done, and while it is important that we are true to the originally plan for the tournament, we must recognize that there are many ways in which we can improve and perfect it.  Hopefully, by the time the 1up April Fools Cup rolls around we will have a system that is fair to everyone.  It all starts with feedback--from the people who actually played in it.

Offline kamikaze

• Since: 08/02/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 07:19:32 AM »

I like this idea :)

Lets put you into the AA league. And then surround you by the best UrT players available lol Sounds fair to me xD
Well, if you want to sing out, sing out
And if you want to be free, be free
'cause there's a million things to be
You know that there are

And if you want to live high, live high
And if you want to live low, live low
'cause there's a million ways to go
You know that there are

Offline $@t@n

• Since: 25/10/2009
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »
when is the next 1up cup?

Offline Venom

• Since: 09/10/2009
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 04:24:23 PM »
when is the next 1up cup?

you dont have to knw, its for the sexy people only ::)
EX 1UP

Offline $@t@n

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 11:40:39 AM »
well venom dont exclude urself then...

Offline Venom

• Since: 09/10/2009
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »
i didnt say i was sexy and btw when is the next tournaament
EX 1UP

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
  • Since: 02/03/2009
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »
i didnt say i was sexy and btw when is the next tournaament

I have some major bills to knock out, and our servers are established, so I would be adding servers for tournament play, which would happen after I resolve current financial obligations. Soon, though, I hope.

Offline Shans

• 1up believes in 2nd chances.
  • Since: 21/06/2009
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »
Can't wait  :D

Offline $@t@n

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »