News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Poll

What action should be done towards the voting system?

Keep it the way it is.
0 (0%)
Allow VIPs and Admins to veto any vote that is unfair/prejudicial.
3 (60%)
Disable the voting system.
1 (20%)
Other. ( Please leave a reply below )
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: NMRiH Voting system  (Read 5030 times)

Offline RoyalDart30[1upZ]

• *[1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • Since: 23/07/2014
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
NMRiH Voting system
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:54:29 PM »
Greetings fellow 1up and 1upZ clan members!

I would like to bring up to debate a situation that has been escalating to alarming proportions recently, which is the newly introduced voting system of NMRiH, that has come with version 1.09. Ever since the voting system has been introduced, every time a player dies or joins a game in progress, he purely and simply votes to restart the round. Evidently, this is most annoying for anyone who has worked hard to stay alive and complete the map. I've personally lost track of the amount of times this has happened on the realism server because of the impossibility of respawning on an objective map. Allow me to demonstrate:

Player X joins the server. As he joined a game in progress, he is deceased and unable to play until the round is over - Immediately calls for a restart the round vote.
Players Y and Z died during the round and are eager to play again, so they vote yes. Player D that has managed to survive so far is outnumbered and loses the vote, initiating a restart.

Now, despite all of this, I am in no way saying the voting system is useless. When no administrative personnel is online, changing the map can be a pain since unfortunately some players do not use !rtv or any other map changing system, so the voting system will change the map to one that most online players enjoy.

For those reasons, I am proposing some sort of command that VIPs and Admins can use to veto a vote if they see it to be unfair and/or prejudicial to the currently alive players.

Offline Der Vampir

• The #1 Hedonistic Enigma
  • *[1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • Since: 01/09/2014
Re: NMRiH Voting system
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »
I second this. Im sure anyone whose played has experienced this problem and it can be very annoying. A lot of regulars are vips now also so giving the vips a command like that could be very useful seeing as some people have trouble hitting f1 at times it seems, being they cant (some laptop users i know cant), they cant read it (been alot of higher pinged players lately if you can catch my drift), or they simply refuse to. I play with a lot of the vips often too so I can vouch for most of them that they wont abuse it. Seems like something thats worth a try and that would help enhance the player experience.

Offline Cope57[1up]

• adept GIMP user
  • *[1up] Dev Team
  • [1up] Global Mod
  • [1up] Decision Panel
  • INTJ
  • Since: 03/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 11:29:33 PM »
I can understand your concern.
As for the voting system, is it part of the game, and can it be disabled on the server to mitigate these issues?
I do not know if it could, but I am sure there will be an answer since this topic has been created.  Creating a poll will not solve the issue, either way, I have not voted because the situation has not affected me.

Nice to see that you have decided to post something besides your application.  Maybe posting more about anything in general will help the community get to know you better.  See you around on the forum.

;)

Computers do not have problems, they have users

Offline Der Vampir

• *[1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »
It can be disabled which wouldnt be so bad I suppose. I honestly like !rtv more since it can be done over time and the votes dont have to all be done at once within a time limit.

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
  • Since: 02/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 12:16:12 PM »
Hello. Voting always becomes a problem on servers.

I. NMRiH Binary Vote.

These are the vote features built into the game itself:

sv_vote_allow_spectators : 0 : , "sv" : Allow spectators to vote?
sv_vote_failure_timer : 300 : , "sv" : A vote that fails cannot be re-submitted for this long
sv_vote_issue_changelevel_allowed : 1 : , "sv", "rep" : Can players call votes to change level?
sv_vote_issue_kick_allowed : 0 : , "sv", "rep" : Can players call votes to kick players from the server?
sv_vote_issue_nextlevel_allowed : 1 : , "sv", "rep" : Can players call votes to change next level?
sv_vote_issue_restart_game_allowed : 1 : , "sv", "rep" : Can players call votes to restart the round?
sv_vote_ui_hide_disabled_issues : 1 : , "sv" : Suppress listing of disabled issues in the vote setup screen.

It seems that the initial solution is to just set "sv_vote_issue_restart_game_allowed" to "0" on each of our server configs.
Nobody could use the in-game system to change the map then.

II. SourceMod

Use Sourcemod for voting. In Sourcemod, I could add a command to VIPs and admins ("sm_cancelvote" : cmd : : sm_cancelvote), which is already there anyway, but that will cancel on the vote running in Sourcemod.

I'll look at additional voting options for SourceMod that could be used to require voting by everyone on the server through the !rtv feature.

These are the voting options (some not enabled though) in SourceMod:

Command Plugin Access Format Description
sm_vote basevotes vote <question> [answer1] [answer2] [answer3] ... Starts an arbitrary vote with the given arguments as answers. If no answer parameters are supplied, the answer options will be Yes and No localized into each client's language.
sm_votealltalk funvotes vote Starts a vote to change the value of sv_alltalk.
sm_voteban basevotes vote, ban <target> [reason] Starts a vote to ban a single player for thirty minutes.
sm_voteburn funvotes vote, slay <target> Starts a vote to burn a single player.
sm_voteff funvotes vote Starts a vote to change the value of mp_friendlyfire.
sm_votegravity funvotes vote <amount> [amount2] [amount3] ... Initiates a vote to change the value of sv_gravity.
sm_votekick basevotes vote, kick <target> [reason] Starts a vote to kick a single player.
sm_votemap basevotes vote, map <map> [map2] [map3] ... Starts a vote to change the map.
sm_voteslay funvotes vote, slay <target> Starts a vote to slay a single player.

Offline Der Vampir

• *[1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »
In my opinion I say disable the binary voting system and use the source mod voting system seeing as it can be configured more to allow greater control over voting among other things if those are to be added. Ex. players being able to kick a troll if an admin isnt on. Even if you add a command to veto a restart it still couldnt be accessed by all players unless they are vip or higher correct? So maybe we can find another solution. I see restart as a thing to be used only if the last alive are afk or simply have no clue what they are doing. Maybe we could find a way to have certain triggers to allow a restart? Im not sure how we could go about that but just giving ideas. Also there is that plugin for timed objectives but its more of a one size fits all deal I think seeing as you cant configure it for different maps I believe and we all know some objectives take longer on other maps compared to others. Ex. Finding parts on Cleopas vs Finding your way through the sewers on Chinatown. Even if you know what youre doing it still obviously takes longer to find the parts and assemble them on Cleopas even if you grab them from the start apposed to going through the sewers on Chinatown.
Typing this and then re reading over it gave me an idea. What if we took the timed objective plugin but instead of it failing the map it could be configured so when the objective time limit is up it gives the players an option to restart? Making it so if the players are afk the people who are actually there can restart it still and also if the alive players dont know what they are doing it can still be restarted. Also if its chosen to not restart then the timer resets itself so after a while it can be voted on again. I have no idea if thats possible. Yet again just giving suggestions. Ill look around and see if I can find anything that could possibly help.

• *[1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 03:52:53 PM »
I say use the SourceMod voting system, it will solve all of the issues presented above. As for Vampir's issue, if a player is AFK or has no clue of what he's doing, using the SourceMod voting system would allow the players to slay him or burn him, forcing a round restart (if he is the last player alive, that is). But yeah, I would really like for the sourcemod system to be implemented.

Offline t+pazolite[1upZ]

• Cactus
  • *[1upZ] Zombie
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • Since: 24/03/2014
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 02:14:04 PM »
sourcemod voting system would be better, but I know they are changing the nmrih voting so that dead people can't vote

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
  • Since: 02/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 11:22:01 AM »
The following config changes have been made and will take effect tomorrow on server restart:

sv_vote_issue_kick_allowed 0
sv_vote_allow_spectators  0 //Allow spectators to vote?
sv_vote_failure_timer 1300 // A vote that fails cannot be re-submitted for this long
sv_vote_issue_changelevel_allowed 0 //Can players call votes to change level?
sv_vote_issue_kick_allowed 0 //Can players call votes to kick players from the server?
sv_vote_issue_nextlevel_allowed 0 //Can players call votes to change next level?
sv_vote_issue_restart_game_allowed 0 //Can players call votes to restart the round?
sv_vote_ui_hide_disabled_issues 1 //Suppress listing of disabled issues in the vote setup screen.

As for Sourcemod changes to use !rtv for all, I'm looking at suggestions now.

Here is the "Limited Voting" plugin: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2186902
Simple plugin which disables in-game voting when admins are present and re-enables it after all admins have disconnected from the server. Designed specificity for CS:GO but will work on all games.

• *[1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
Awesome, thank you very much for dealing with this issue. I think the sourcemod system could perhaps implement a voting for a new level, maybe to disable "alltalk" or even to enable friendly fire? Just some suggestions, I'm not very familiar with the system yet :P